Mornington Crescent

Carbomb

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Unbundled only in the Western Ontario version, I'm afraid. You missed your chance for that.

Still, Victoria's a solid play. Moving along the lateral orbital from nip, I'll take:

Ruislip Manor

That's shrewd, Carbomb. You should bed down there with a Platform Extension and use any Circular Power Play cards you've got. You're protected from the Thackeray Accelerator by proximity to Charing Cross.

That's shrewd, Carbomb. You should bed down there with a Platform Extension and use any Circular Power Play cards you've got. You're protected from the Thackeray Accelerator by proximity to Charing Cross.

Powerplays won't be a factor until the District line bottleneck clears; I estimate that won't be until round 4.

A Kung Fu master once taught me that moving inside an attack may at first appear to be illogical, but by moving inwards when your opponent expects you to move outwards one gains the advantage of surprise and can frequently find a momentary opening to be exploited at point blank range. It carries risks but fortune favours the brave.

As such, and given your noting of the protection afforded to Ruislip Manor from Thackeray's Accelerator by proximity to Charing Cross, I'll risk it all and go

Charing Cross

Can someone tell me whether we are playing Count Lupos Exception? If we are I could make a move, otherwise as we are playing the Nova Scotia variant I am in Nidd

You're in Nidd, pally, which rules you out of the game until somebody plays the Vending Machine Hoopla.

However, I am going to play this game more ruthlessly and so I shall hitch a variable shunt down the eastern flank of the Aqueous Zone and go with Wembley Central.

• Paid Members

Loki's a perceptive player. Whilst Uncletrunx' strategy was clever and daring, it was also ineffective, as I am still protected from Thackeray's Accelerator.

However, I am in a more than strategically advantageous position to dish out my own; with LOTM in Nidd, and with Dean Ayass exposed along the perpendicular protrusion, I can make a dynamic play using, finally unleashing the dreaded Accelerator to hit:

King's Cross St. Pancras.

OHHHHH YEAAAAHHH!!!

I may be in Kiev but thanks to British Airways my luggage is still in London. Accordingly, I've been glancing at my book to establish how I might best use this situation to my advantage. Naturally, unattended baggage must usually be destroyed, and as such I refer back to Chuffingham's Third Addendum of 1978, which means that I can play my next move in any non-linear quadrant even if I am not physically present to do so

Therefore it is clear even to a rookie player like myself that the Piccadilly line is underexposed, allowing me to move unimpeded to South Ealing. Not being able to predict which counterplays may approach from north of the Acton Town fork means that moving further east to a non-interchange station would be at considerable risk. I had originally set my sights on Russell Square, but its proximity to Holborn meant that a Central Line multiplier would be irresistable to someone possessing such a card, and I can't say I'd be willing to offer another player such a huge advantage on a plate. Having said all this, the risk of moving to the next non-interchange station at Knightsbridge, versus the reward of picking up a double by passing through Turnham Green en route, is proving a challenging conundrum. In conclusion, I'm going to go with a conservative play and pick South Ealing.

• Paid Members
Can someone tell me whether we are playing Count Lupos Exception? If we are I could make a move, otherwise as we are playing the Nova Scotia variant I am in Nidd

You're in Nidd, pally, which rules you out of the game until somebody plays the Vending Machine Hoopla.

However, I am going to play this game more ruthlessly and so I shall hitch a variable shunt down the eastern flank of the Aqueous Zone and go with Wembley Central.

I am probably staying in Nidd then Dean, because there does not seem to be anyone in this game who would know a Vending Machine Hoopla from a Reflex Trump. The youth of today seem to spend far to much time "Finessing The Romboid" to learn about the joys of a Vending Machine Hoopla.

• Paid Members

I am probably staying in Nidd then Dean, because there does not seem to be anyone in this game who would know a Vending Machine Hoopla from a Reflex Trump. The youth of today seem to spend far to much time "Finessing The Romboid" to learn about the joys of a Vending Machine Hoopla.

I take exception to that. I've been purposely avoiding the Hoopla because I risk losing ranking groats if it doesn't pay off under Canadian rules. I spent a lot of time getting to even the second flange in my early MC career, I'm not taking any unnecessary risks until I at least reach third-level Rector.

• Paid Members

That they even allow you to graduate to the second flange without being proficient in the Hoopla is a disgrace. It is all part of the dumbing down of the game. Its all about using the Mornington Crescent Solver Software to gain ranking groats now isn't it. When I first got on to the second flange all we were allowed to play was Old Etonian rules and I spent quite a bit of time "In Pop" I can tell you.

You young ones don't know you are born

• Paid Members

I AM proficient in the Hoopla, dammit. I just haven't been using it for these games because of Canadian rules. Your cataracts stopping you reading, Grandpa? You'll be telling us you want us to go back to mule bladders and wooden perpendiculars next.

Well with the game being at the point it is now, I seem to have only one worthwhile and available starting point; which to a novice seems easy since it's so close but unless I play my Northbound and Southbound alternators correctly and manage to collect a couple of Circular Power Play cards, it's a long and tricky route that has by my calculations 437 ways to end up either in Nidd, Spoon or at the mercy of the dreaded Thackeray's Accelerator.

So, with a careful consideration and with several fingers crossed, I'm going to go for Camden Town.

• Paid Members
Hoopla is tricky under Canadian rules but not impossible for one who is Truly Proficient You obviously doubt your abilities as your mentioning of the ranking points shows. I read just fine thank you

Course I bloody doubt my abilities, I'm only a semi-novice as I said at the beginning of this thread.

Truly Proficient, are you? Bet you got your green sash at the Bogota Convention, old man.

Archived