Mornington Crescent

Carbomb

• Paid Members
On an unrelated note, is there any truth to the rumour that Rupert Murdoch and co are seeking the TV rights to competitive matchplay this year?

Yes, but they've been outbid and outproposed by ESPN. They've laid out a much better plan for broadcasting and presentation, and they've even thrown in a sweetener for broadcasts on ESPN Classics. That's definitely a brilliant move, I think - just imagine: Broadthorpe vs. Proops vs. Dominguez (1976), the entire Guadalajara Gold Series, the Rifkind Tokyo Challenge, Quinn vs. Ribbentropp and even perhaps Featherstone vs. Kirov's Best of Five. I'd be up for it like Patsy Kensit on heat.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Broadthorpe vs. Proops vs. Dominguez (1976),

The Fan Cam of the secret rematch, held in the foyer the Hemel Hempstead Holiday Inn is utterly mesmerising, if they could some how include that then, yes there would be a definitely be a better package from ESPN.

I suspect the usual detractors would be unhappy with the camera intrusion interruptting the flow of the game because it spoils some of the tension, to see it played out on TV. Also the Klein-Davies Conundrum does not play well after repeated scrutiny. It shows up some really naff plays.

Moving on I think Ill go for Gloucester Road

PS Carbomb MA, I wasnt trying for the spectacular, but to even get back into the game any other way would have meant time on the Russian Steppes on a Donkey known only as "Alexei A" and would have been stuck in a fate worse than well you know what it would be a fate worse than. there are no words

• Paid Members
Broadthorpe vs. Proops vs. Dominguez (1976),

The Fan Cam of the secret rematch, held in the foyer the Hemel Hempstead Holiday Inn is utterly mesmerising, if they could some how include that then, yes there would be a definitely be a better package from ESPN.

Seeing as how that footage is easily available on MCTorrents, if ESPN fail to include it it would be a massive balls-up. Gustav Proops' post-match paddy MUST be part of it too - in fact, they should do a whole compilation of Proops' hissy-fits; he's not the John McEnroe of MC for nothing.

I suspect the usual detractors would be unhappy with the camera intrusion interruptting the flow of the game because it spoils some of the tension, to see it played out on TV. Also the Klein-Davies Conundrum does not play well after repeated scrutiny. It shows up some really naff plays.

Yeah, but you have to include the KCD - it was. after all, an integral part of Dominguez' victory. Not to mention that, to the truly discerning Crescent player, it shouldn't matter overly much as to how much it's aged - being able to watch it for what it was at the time, instead of judging it by modern standards, is what gives classic replays of any sport their appeal.

Moving on I think Ill go for Gloucester Road

Interesting move, but I think it's a bit foolhardy. You're really not allowing for potential give on the lateral orbital, which, under Royal Canadian rules, is very risky indeed - you hazard losing the entire Eastern seaboard if someone is able to play a Wilson's 44. And that's not even including the potential disaster for at least three other players after yourself if someone plays a Thackeray's Accelerator.

PS Carbomb MA, I wasnt trying for the spectacular, but to even get back into the game any other way would have meant time on the Russian Steppes on a Donkey known only as "Alexei A" and would have been stuck in a fate worse than well you know what it would be a fate worse than. there are no words

Hey, whether you meant it or not, any orbital insertion, especially without Phelp's Lubricator, is spectacular. May not have been intentional, but it was certainly fun to watch. Even if it was a bit painful for the rest of us to be on the receiving end of it, especially without the Lubricator.

I actually met Gustav Proops once, he was handing out prizes at a school fete. I'd love to tell you he's a nice guy but actually, even as a kid, I found him insufferably up his own arse. Not at all like Rosalyn Brondesbury-Goldsmith - first lady to compete (and win) a ranking matchplay invitational under any Western ruleset. Truly a charming and fascinating lady, but very guarded of her MC strategy. That was at an MC conference in the Radisson Edwardian near Heathrow where they'd even shipped in Terence Penberthy, fresh off his third "retirement" and farewell tour. You often wonder how his legacy would stand up now if he'd bowed out gracefully during his 80s heyday rather than continuing on with his gruelling schedule against doctors orders. I heard he now lives in a boarded up council house on the outskirts of Manchester with only a television for comfort, and even that doesn't work because his bootleg Sky viewing card stopped working years ago. A tragic tale of what could have been.

Back to the game at hand. While not as spectacular to the neutral viewer as the previous round, any MC purist can see some classic playing positions taking place across all quadrants.

Since it's all descending into chaos on the eastern side and the risk of Nidd is greatly increased by random points division due to orbital insertions in that quadrant, it seems sensible to avoid the whole thing and go into the quieter western quadrant. It's still early in the current play, so I can chance isolating myself knowing that I should have time to work my way back in unless someone does something truly impressive. As we all know, there's no legislating for that.

There's also the consideration that the multiple transport penalty doesn't apply in any Canadian ruleset; with that in mind, I'll "whack it out wide":

Heathrow Terminals 1,2,3

• Paid Members
Hello?

Still in fucking Nidd here. Anyone care to help?

I'll use my ability to countermeasure the insertion, reverse the polarity of the neutron flow and eject Dean from Nidd, but unfortunately in shoving him out, I've sunk further in. Fingers crossed I sink further and reach Brisbane...

Oh my, Dingbat, you missed out there. We switched rules for this game, which, as I said, invalidates the stipulation of Nidd being carried over, but you must claim it! You could've talked yourself out of Nidd, but you talked yourself further in. Unfortunate that you missed the possibility there, but you must of course be congratulated on such a gentlemanly move in assisting an opponent. Let's hope someone gets the opportunity to play a Gravity Insertion Whammy (legal under all North American ruleset, and interestingly also in those of the defunct Gambian National League) and get you out of there via the downward exit.

Anyway, thankfully nobody's picked up on my taking Kilburn as a starter, so I'm going to play my hand - thanks to the Toronto rules' 1998 modification to promote Equal Access, I'm permitted, having started at a wheelchair-accessible station, to perform a double-hop via, and to, any other wheelchair-friendly station. Therefore, I'm jumping to Westminster, and from there to Bank. It may seem a rather elaborate path, but there's a method to my madness which I hope to reveal presently.

• Paid Members

Some of the fancy playing has been getting on my nerves. Kyoto, Russian space stations? Next, it'll be Birmingham, and we may as well just give up the spirit of the game altogether.

Mornington Crescent was always meant to be a simple game, and that's why it's a classic. Yes, there's the potential in it for flourishes - who can deny that? - but let's not overcomplicate a classic game.

As it is, I'm moving from Uxbridge with an equilateral shunt across the vertices of the iannucci-attenborough lay-line hypothetical, allowing me to switch my WTM card for an *ugh* Clarkson hand, which allows me to use the tourist boat along the thames to the O2.

Perhaps now we'll see less masturbatory showing off, and some more respect for the game itself.

• Paid Members

What you fail to appreciate, Chris, is that without the fancy play, we wouldn't have been so privileged to see matbro's classic play using a rare piece of game paraphernalia. I'm still (pleasantly) stunned that he didn't save it for a tournament game, or for an exhibition over at Stovold's, where they would most certainly have creamed their jeans over it, despite all their insistence on tradition.

Anyway, you've given me a bit of an opening for a double-back and cross-out, so I think I'll go for:

Cutty Sark

There is, of course, a balance needed. Speaking of such matters, I'm aware that my own position is at risk of becoming dangerously unbalanced and easy to exploit. A linear transaction is therefore required to consolidate vertically.

Ealing Common

• Paid Members

Well, my overzealousness has put me in trouble again. I read a bit more on the Equal Access modification that got me my current position, and found out that it extends to landmarks with disabled access as well. As such, I abandoned my next move in favour of nipping to St Paul's, and on to St Paul's Cathedral in order to scale the bell tower and scout my next move, which could have been a game-winner. Unfortunately, under Canadian rules, the bell tower is far, far out of disabled (and even general public) access, leaving me prone to a certain Pop-Cultural Appropriation Jump - commonly known as the Lara Croft Drop. Alas, I've fallen two-and-a-half miles sideways, and am now in the disused Aldwych, unable to plan anything and leaving my next move open to the gods of fate. North American rules biting me in my arrogant posterior yet again.

• Paid Members

That's a tough bite - being stuck in Aldwych is worse than being stuck In Nidd. Still, it's not an insurmountable challenge to get out, particularly under Canadian rulesets - with no-one able to straddle outright, you can't be blocked in unless someone plays a vertical swipe, and seeing as there's been very little re-stacking of the perpendicular, I don't think anyone will be able to manage that in time to stop you getting out. Not to mention that anyone who does try, even successfully, is pretty much sacrificing any chance of winning.

Anyway, I'm going to tap the equilateral and play a standard shuffle to:

Monument

Given that it's directly joined to Bank, that play gives me some invaluable double-pacing.

• Paid Members
I thought Double-Pacing was outlawed in 2008, after the Rose / McWilliam convention?

Or is it still permitted "across the pond"?

It's only outlawed under Rose/McWilliam if the game has featured at least three re-captured strides, which so far it hasn't.

Archived