Mornington Crescent

Carbomb

• Paid Members

Now its your turn not to be able to read properly. I said Old Etonian Rules dear boy. That would clearly rule out the Bogota Convention as I said I spent a lot of time "In Pop" and a green sash would not go with a flowery waistcoat would it now. A green sash might be ok for someone such as yourself who spends a lot of time hanging round with matelots but it is always the waistcoat for me

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Now its your turn not to be able to read properly. I said Old Etonian Rules dear boy. That would clearly rule out the Bogota Convention as I said I spent a lot of time "In Pop" and a green sash would not go with a flowery waistcoat would it now. A green sash might be ok for someone such as yourself who spends a lot of time hanging round with matelots but it is always the waistcoat for me

Curse you Old Etonians and your snobbery. The flowery waistcoat is a fine trapping of glory which has always evaded me :angry:

Well with the game being at the point it is now, I seem to have only one worthwhile and available starting point; which to a novice seems easy since it's so close but unless I play my Northbound and Southbound alternators correctly and manage to collect a couple of Circular Power Play cards, it's a long and tricky route that has by my calculations 437 ways to end up either in Nidd, Spoon or at the mercy of the dreaded Thackeray's Accelerator.

So, with a careful consideration and with several fingers crossed, I'm going to go for Camden Town.

A nice move. You've considered Thackeray's Accelerator, and that was wise, but you've forgotten one thing. You've left yourself at the mercy of the Flap-Flep-Flip-Flop-Flup. But I'm not going to play that, because Thackeray's Accelerator is actually the better option, and I wouldn't even have considered if you hadn't. Is this allowed under Old Etonian? I'm praying so. I might have it confused with middle-era Etonian.

Therefore I move to the escalator halfway between Bank and Monument

I remember when Wallace played that move in the infamous Wallace-Mercury semifinal of the Berlin Rotary Club Biannuals in 1985. Of course, that was before the DLR was built.

Interesting side-note, but Thackeray's Accelerator was first played with the District and not the Circle, but the use of underground stations as bomb shelters during the 2nd World War forced a compromise leading to the modern Accelerator as played by Carbomb.

• Paid Members

Curse you Old Etonians and your snobbery. The flowery waistcoat is a fine trapping of glory which has always evaded me :angry:

I very rarely play the Old Etonian now, I have developed an intolerance to crumpets in my later years

It's all getting a bit frantic now. Might I remind you all that we're playing a Canadian variant, not an Antipodean subform. The Accelerator may be almost mandatory amongst the modern gathering but that shouldn't lead to an obsession with speed over skill.

To conclude: My sash is black, my hat is grey, my coat is camel hair and my move is:

Rayners Lane

After the first game where the dratted Ruislip Sweep was my downfall. I do believe that paying close attention to those, distracted by Old Etonian Rules and various accelerations, there is a gap in the market.

Utilising the '3 Humph Rack'. I can jump from Rayners Lane to Green Park bypassing the Hidden Funicular of Great Elsby completely

• Paid Members
It's all getting a bit frantic now. Might I remind you all that we're playing a Canadian variant, not an Antipodean subform. The Accelerator may be almost mandatory amongst the modern gathering but that shouldn't lead to an obsession with speed over skill.

To conclude: My sash is black, my hat is grey, my coat is camel hair and my move is:

Rayners Lane

That may be the best move played on here during this game. Now if we could just find someone to the left of the dealer to start the bidding then we may have a winner, and I may finally get out of Nidd

• Paid Members

Finally got out and back from the West Midland Metro system, I can honestly say, that was horrendous, it's just degrading having to work that way.

I rolled an 18 on my Whistle Way Dice Accumulator, so with that in mind, and bearing the hints I'm getting from this game, and the necessity of forcing a Round Four blockade, I'm going to pick something with a lift, and a double sided one to boot.

Hoping the Gemima 'Grampy' Holdeck Gambit doesn't come back to haunt me here, and just about happy my Platform Bench guaranteed seating raffle ticket doesn't draw a "Track Mouse Rift" here I go,

*hoping and praying*

Elephant & Castle

Finally got out and back from the West Midland Metro system, I can honestly say, that was horrendous, it's just degrading having to work that way.

I rolled an 18 on my Whistle Way Dice Accumulator, so with that in mind, and bearing the hints I'm getting from this game, and the necessity of forcing a Round Four blockade, I'm going to pick something with a lift, and a double sided one to boot.

Hoping the Gemima 'Grampy' Holdeck Gambit doesn't come back to haunt me here, and just about happy my Platform Bench guaranteed seating raffle ticket doesn't draw a "Track Mouse Rift" here I go,

*hoping and praying*

Elephant & Castle

Are we playing this round ampersands high or ampersands low? If the latter, then that was a very risky move there.

• Moderators

Well, despite the changes rendered according to the Duckworth-Thewlis system of 1984, I'm playing to the correct method according to the Wednesday rulings circa the Botanical period, henceworth it's still my go. Perhaps under subsection 4c of the madrigal rulebook you could have played, but several have jumped the gun. So it's still my go, and I venture forth Hebden Bridger, West Yorks, due to the Alberta variant of Canadian rules according to the Bill Timperly rulesheet of the Cretaceous period as agreed by Dougie Freedman. Get out of that!

• Paid Members

*hoping and praying*

Elephant & Castle

The GGHG has backfired pretty badly there, as it's allowed me to fire in with my student pass (I know, I know - it's so simple as to be insulting) and bypass the majority of the map. I was actually stuck out at Manchester Picadilly, but I was able to take the reduced fair all the way on the commuter service to...

Euston.

Just one stop away...

A mainlining strategy may be the most obvious under such circumstances, with zone 1 acting as a tar pit and the play spread around the quadrants evenly. However, if one can avoid the solid defensive emplacements all along the Jubilee line (far easier said than done) then a half step may be as good as a full move and achieve far more in the mid term.

With a powerplay still to be declared, this could be the best of both worlds:

High Street Kensington

Archived