UFC 127: Penn vs Fitch Discussion thread

wandshogun09

That knee was fucking insane. Otherwise, I have no problem whatsoever with Bisping. I can't fucking stand it when guys talk all kinds of shit before a fight then as soon as it's over they're all "ah, it was just to build up the fight." You phoney pricks. I like seeing a guy who took it personally get so fired up that he expects the prick to apologise for running his mouth once he's had the shit kicked out of him

I believe the expression is "don't let your mouth write cheques your arse can't cash." Rivera got all he asked for. He can't get pissy about Bisping giving it back with interest.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some people's comments now are coming across more as "waaaaahhhh I hate that Bisping".

Exactly my point mate, I don't like Bisping...at all.

He got what in my opinion was a weighted decision against Matt Hamill, he never stops moaning about two legitimate decision victories and talked all kinds of shite against Hendo only to get ktfo but I think it's extremely important to try and make judgements on the actual events of the fight, not what your pre-determined opinion of the people involved are.

I'm not gonna get into a game of name calling on teh interweb, but personally Mo, I disagree and don't think Rivera had any clear advantage over Bisping up to the knee incident. Rivera looked fine after the incident too, and by Round 2 when Bisping knocked him silly, if there was any after effects, they'd cleared up by then. Rivera looked gassed out, despite having those moments after the knee to recover

I don't think anyone had a clear advantage leading up to the knee as far as the stand-up goes, even though Rivera had thrown the more dangerous looking punches. Where I disagree is what happened after the knee.

Rivera was obviously fucked up at that point, and in my mind the fight should have been stopped there & then. It was the most obviously intentional foul I've seen in a long time. The very fact that Bisping didn't show any signs of immediate hesitance tells me that he threw that knee knowing full well what he was doing.

Would it have finished differently if he hadn't threw the knee? Probably not, but Rivera deserved a chance to try and win the fight on a level playing field, which didn't happen.

What I will say though, is that Rivera isn't a top level UFC fighter. Bisping doesn't beat those fighters when push comes to shove, and probably never will.

I'd throw him in there with Chael Sonnen, as the hatred of Bisping among MMA fans at present coupled with the excellent promo skills of Sonnen will ensure a great build-up, and there's really no doubt who would win that fight, so the UFC manage to get a real liability as far away from a titleshot as possible.

It wasn't an accidental knee either, he paused then absolutely nailed the poor fucker. Bisping's always pissed me off but that was just ridiculous, there's no way in hell it was a fair fight after that. Also, Bisping asking for an apology from Rivera? What about apologising for the illegal knee you just blatantly clocked him with you cheating little shit?

It wasn't an accidental knee either, he paused then absolutely nailed the poor fucker. Bisping's always pissed me off but that was just ridiculous, there's no way in hell it was a fair fight after that. Also, Bisping asking for an apology from Rivera? What about apologising for the illegal knee you just blatantly clocked him with you cheating little shit?

I don't know how a knee like that hurts more than, say, Ebersole's knee on Lytle. It's just because it looks brutal and is against UFC rules. If it was in Pride there would be no issue. Funny note, the live crowd didn't give a shit that the knee was illegal. The place erupted with cheers when Bisping hit it, I was probably the only one in the arena going, "Hold on, that was illegal!"

• Paid Members

wow, what the hell happened in this thread...nice argument!

anyways, everyone seems to have forgotten there was actually a really good MMA show that took place on Saturday night:

* Rivera/Bisping - Holy fucking shit, could Bisping have done anything more to make his fan-fare lower anymore? The fight itself actually played out like i thought, Bisping had too much for Rivera, who's whole gameplan seemed to center on him landing that right hand. The fight was intense because there was always that fear that Rivera was going to land it (and he did a few times), but it was fairly clear towards the end of round 1 that Rivera was fading. As for the knee, it was clearly illegal and i think Bisping threw it instinctively, people gotta remember these guys are in a fight, emotions are running wild and when that happens people are going to make bad split second decisions...it wasn't the end of the world, it's happened before and it'll happen again, get over it. Props to Rivera for continuing, it did look he was gonna bail out for a bit but he got back in there.

As for the aftermath? again emotions are running high...it was highly unprofessional for Bisping to do what he did, but did anyone see what Rivera's camp were saying about Bisping before-hand? did you expect him to not react and let that emotion out on the night. Rivera and his camp asked for what they got if you ask me, as Bisping said post-fight he never said anything bad about Rivera, there was no rivalry, Rivera talked his way into it from nothing and he was very insulting along the way. If it was any other fighter people wouldn't be reacting like they are, it's just more fuel to add to the Bisping hatred.

After the fight you could clearly see Bisping say 'apologise' to Rivera...Rivera picked a fight with the wrong guy and he got his arse kicked, simple as...the fight kind of went beyond the sport, it turned ugly and that's what happens. If anyone wants to call Bisping unproffesional they need to be pointing as much if not more of the blame at Rivera for his pre-fight antics.

Having said that, was it entertaining? fuck yes.

• Paid Members

Penn/Fitch - the main event was an absolute war! People will hate on it because of Fitch, but this was complete battle from dominance from the start. Who won? Jon fucking Fitch won. There are certain fights that can be signified to show how MMA judging is wrong, and this was one of them. The first two rounds were close but the 3rd was as one sided as you can get. I mean, i know if you total things and you had Penn winning rounds 1-2 if works out a draw (also having Fitch have 10-8 in round 3). But that 3rd round should count for more than what BJ achieved in two very close rounds. If this fight was going any longer there was no doubt who was going to win, Fitch beat the crap out of BJ who looked like he was done at the end, he even hinted at retirement. A draw can be argued, but in my opinion Fitch won the fight. BJ Penn basically tried to out-Fitch Jon Fitch and he couldn't do it.

...and Dana White has said that he believes BJ won, he says there is no way way it was 10-8 round...the compustrike numbers say something like Fitch landed 134 strikes in round 3 and BJ landed 0, errrr if that aint a 10-8 round, then nothing is.

Siver/Sotiropulous - excellent little battle again. This is another interesting one to score because although Siver landed the better strikes clearly in round 1, i thought George came back strong in round 2-3 (George seems to have that thing going for him where his chin seems to improve the longer the fight goes), i'd like to know on how people scored the takedown attempts? Do you score the man initiating it, or the man defending it? Because Siver brushed them all off with relative ease (which was impressive), but do you score it positivie for George aggresion? Still i think the decision was correct, i wanna see Siver/Guillard II.

Lytle/Ebersole - i fucking loved this. MMA is the kind of sport where sometimes people need to do something a little different to stand out, Bryan Ebersole did that in f'n spades, what a fucking loon that guy is. To be honest when he threw that ridiculous cartwheel kick, i had flashbacks of Sean Salmon's UFC debut, but holyfuck that guy can scrap. We might have had a case of Lytle being too anxious to land big and have possibly underestimating Ebersole but regardless it was clearly fight of the night for me...it had standup, knockdowns, submissions attempts, submission escapes, blood, craziness, outstanding. Everything an MMA fight should be in my opinion. How the hell Lytle survived that knee in round 2 i'll never know.

Noke/Camozzi - bit of a nothing fight as it never really got going, still as far as openers go for aussie it was pretty much perfect. Kyle Noke get's the night into gear and looked good again, Noke's abit of a sleeper in the UFC he could do the Sotiropolous thing and become an unlikely contender.

Hunt/Tuchscherer - yes!!! this was fucking outstanding, there were some impressive manboobs on display but what a tear up. Chris Tuchscherer attempting to stand with Mark Hunt was one of the stupidest decisions of the year but it made it fun to watch. So glad to see Mark Hunt win, he shouldn't be anywhere near the UFC really but somehow he still has a job and he showed that there ain't gonna be many heavyweights who are going to be able to stand with him...Tuchscherer has now lost 2 on the bounce so he could go, but i think Dana will reward him for his bravery and heart, that eye was nasty. Great little fight, and probably the smoothest KO reaction i've ever seen. Walk away KO's is abit of cult thing on the MMA boards and Hunt just did the best one ever.

Fisher/Pearson - meeeh, this was a really good little fight but it had that feeling throughout that it was gonna go the distance without anyone coming close to finishing. Spencer Fisher fights always seem to pan out that way, the fights end up feeling like kickboxing sparring. Pearson looked good though and outstruck one of division's leading gatekeepers so to speak. Peason/Sotirpolous?

Ring/Fukuda - when this ended i turned to my buddy and said 'fuckkk a japanese fighter actually won his debut in the ufc', then the decision was called...haha. I'm gonna go back and watch it again because i have a feeling that the commentary might have been a little biased and swayed my decision a little..Rogan was all over Fukuda's nuts. I still feel Fukuda won handily but i wanna go back and re-watch.

Zhang/Reinhardt - the UFC got what it wanted here, they are still banking on Zhang big and he came through :) a good result for China. Likely the last we see of Reinhardt who has the most deceptive record in MMA.

I thought it was a great show, it had everything you could want in an MMA event. Another classic case of a poor card on paper delivering beyond expectation.

• Paid Members

I've no problem with Bisping going apeshit after the fight because, like I said when Brock did it at UFC 100, I'd much prefer to see real emotion like that than when guys pretend to hate each other, only to reveal once the fight's over that they worked the whole thing to drum up interest. As a viewer it's a total slap in the face and makes you feel like a twat for believing in it. I'm all for guys injecting a bit of animosity and creating some banter, and I don't even care if it's genuine or not, but don't break kayfabe on the very show you've convinced me to watch! And for the record, this talk about needing to always respect your opponent after you've fought him is nonsense spouted by stupid MMA fans. I remember during the build up to Brock vs. Carwin, when Eliot Marshall was talking about Brock's antics after beating Mir, where he described him as acting like a pro-wrestler, failing to realise what a mongy statement that was. Pretending to be angry with someone just to build a fight, then being best mates afterwards is far more like pro-wrestling than going in with real emotion and still being pissed off once the fight is over.

Having said that though, Bisping is still a total bell-end for that knee. And anyone who's thinking of defending him needs to take a second before doing so because you're going to sound like a wally for even trying. He let his emotions get the better of him, he threw it instinctively, blah blah blah. Every fight has emotion in it. Every fighter has to fight instinctively. You still have to fight within the rules, or else you're cheating. If the rules can somehow be ignored if you're angry, or, "in the moment," then what's to stop a guy throwing a swift kick to the bollocks at the start of every fight, only to argue he let his emotions get the better of him?

Plus, having watched Rivera's videos, I'm still at a loss as to what made Bisping so angry. I mean sure, they're taking the piss out of him, but they're so silly and, well, goofy, that I'm absolutely baffled as to how he got himself so worked up. If anything, he should've been happy that they injected any type of interest into what would've otherwise been a nothing fight than no-one cared about.

I mean, if Bisping can get so upset over those videos, can you imagine what he'll be like if Sonnen gets paired with him?

I've no problem with Bisping going apeshit after the fight because, like I said when Brock did it at UFC 100, I'd much prefer to see real emotion like that than when guys pretend to hate each other, only to reveal once the fight's over that they worked the whole thing to drum up interest. As a viewer it's a total slap in the face and makes you feel like a twat for believing in it. I'm all for guys injecting a bit of animosity and creating some banter, and I don't even care if it's genuine or not, but don't break kayfabe on the very show you've convinced me to watch! And for the record, this talk about needing to always respect your opponent after you've fought him is nonsense spouted by stupid MMA fans. I remember during the build up to Brock vs. Carwin, when Eliot Marshall was talking about Brock's antics after beating Mir, where he described him as acting like a pro-wrestler, failing to realise what a mongy statement that was. Pretending to be angry with someone just to build a fight, then being best mates afterwards is far more like pro-wrestling than going in with real emotion and still being pissed off once the fight is over.

Bispings antics after the fight are getting the coverage they are because he actually spat on Rivera's team at cageside. It was in plain sight of the camera.

As for the whole "pretending to hate each other" carry-on, I think it's more a case of the actual fight being the end of it. They dislike each other, they fight it out, and that's the end of it.

That's how it should be.

• Paid Members

I agree wholehearedly with this. Bispsing reacted how anyone would react if they were genuinely annoyed by the guys comments. I hate the cuddling after fights between guys who hated each other 20 minutes earlier. Respect nothing, it's bullshit.

I thought he went a little bit over the line but to be fair, he realised and apologised publicly. I like Bisping though, I always have. I loved him on the Ultimate Fighter. He's a cock but he's a consistent cock. Some of his comments are bang on the money and he works fucking hard to make something of himself.

Having said that though, Bisping is still a total bell-end for that knee. And anyone who's thinking of defending him needs to take a second before doing so because you're going to sound like a wally for even trying. He let his emotions get the better of him, he threw it instinctively, blah blah blah. Every fight has emotion in it. Every fighter has to fight instinctively. You still have to fight within the rules, or else you're cheating. If the rules can somehow be ignored if you're angry, or, "in the moment," then what's to stop a guy throwing a swift kick to the bollocks at the start of every fight, only to argue he let his emotions get the better of him?

I don't think it was a deliberate knee. I don't think he'd need to or want to take that cheap a shot. If that makes me a "wally" then so be it. That's my opinion. I think he's an honest, hard working fighter. i wasn't a fan at all of his actions while Rivera was down, I think he should have been apologetic and not working the crowd.

Plus, having watched Rivera's videos, I'm still at a loss as to what made Bisping so angry. I mean sure, they're taking the piss out of him, but they're so silly and, well, goofy, that I'm absolutely baffled as to how he got himself so worked up. If anything, he should've been happy that they injected any type of interest into what would've otherwise been a nothing fight than no-one cared about.

I mean, if Bisping can get so upset over those videos, can you imagine what he'll be like if Sonnen gets paired with him?

That fight would be great. Bisping needs a shot at a top fighter. He's earned it. If he's not good enough, which most people suspect he isn't, then he'll be found out but he's definitely earned a crack at it.

Bisping needs a shot at a top fighter. He's earned it. If he's not good enough, which most people suspect he isn't, then he'll be found out but he's definitely earned a crack at it.

He's lost to Wanderlei, Henderson & Rashad in recent times, which tells me that he's a good fighter, but not good enough to reach the very top level.

Saying that, he's always going to prove entertaining, and a fight with Sonnen is something I'd pay good money to see.

Archived