UFC 127: Penn vs Fitch Discussion thread

wandshogun09

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was happy to see Hunt win, I was really expecting him to get taken down and subbed within a couple of minutes. What is Hunts deal with the UFC anyway, is it not just a few fights left over from his Pride contract?

Yes, apparently this was his last one. As he won he will get some kind of new deal though.

How about a Hunt vs Cro-Cop rematch?

Hunt vs Matt Mitrione would be a good match up as well.

Cro Cop has a fight coming up and I believe Mitrione will get a higher level of competition now to test him (Kongo). Joey Beltran could make for a fun stand-up war.

• Paid Members

OK, having looked at the scoring methodology, I've changed my mind about the main event- Fitch really should have won the fight.

These are how various scores are defined:

1. A round is to be scored as a 10-10 Round when both contestants appear to be fighting evenly and neither contestant shows dominance in a round;

2. A round is to be scored as a 10-9 Round when a contestant wins by a close margin, landing the greater number of effective legal strikes, grappling and other maneuvers;

3. A round is to be scored as a 10-8 Round when a contestant overwhelmingly dominates by striking or grappling in a round.

4. A round is to be scored as a 10-7 Round when a contestant totally dominates by striking or grappling in a round.

Fitch outstruck Penn 134-0 in the last round. Even if you, like me, had Penn winning the first two rounds, I just don't see how the final round is anything other than a 10-7. On that basis, Fitch should have won it 28-27 or 29-26 (depending on if you gave the second to Fitch).

I think with a 10-7 though the judges are probably looking for the fighter on the end of the 7 to have been close to being stopped at least once in that round...whilst obviously 134-0 on the strikes is insanely one sided I would still put that under the classification of ''overwhelmingly dominates''.

I can see the argument for a 10-7 round but I think when you look of it in terms of how hard it usually is to get a 10-8 round then for a 10-7 I really would have expected Fitch to have had him close to finished at least a couple of times with Penn hanging on by the skin of his teeth but they could still be going now and Fitch wouldn't have had him finished.

Stats are all well and good and maybe it is just me...and I am a Penn fan...but I never for one second thought...that was a 10-7.

• Moderators

I think you really have to contextualise scoring against the scoring of every fight we've ever seen in MMA so far. The definition of a 10-7 round might well be officially worded to where you say that a given round fits into that definition, and should be a 10-7, but if we're ever going to see one, they might as well just say "And we're going to start giving 10-7 rounds from...now! Starting now..." and then stick to that definition from that point onwards. If Starnes/Quarry, or whatever dominant 10-8 round we've seen before, was a 10-8, then how could anything, comparatively, concievably be a 10-7, beyond an actual murder, where the guy's heart accidentally started again when his falling corpse hit the mat?

Yeah I totally agree, there have been far more one sided rounds that haven't been 10-7's, I actually think a couple of the judges in Starnes v Quarry did give 10-7's but I think that only goes to support the argument of how hugely one sided or down right ridiculous a round needs to be before it is worhty of a 10-7.

Again as you quite rightly said you could make an argument that the 3rd round fitted the official description of a 10-7 round...but that doesn't mean it was one and in my opinion it definately wasn't, without a doubt.

Archived