UFC 127: Penn vs Fitch Discussion thread

wandshogun09

• Paid Members
Bisping needs a shot at a top fighter. He's earned it. If he's not good enough, which most people suspect he isn't, then he'll be found out but he's definitely earned a crack at it.

He's lost to Wanderlei, Henderson & Rashad in recent times, which tells me that he's a good fighter, but not good enough to reach the very top level.

Saying that, he's always going to prove entertaining, and a fight with Sonnen is something I'd pay good money to see.

He lost a split decision to Rashad about 4 years ago. That's not recent. He got caught by Henderson which is the only time he's ever been stopped. He lost Silva a year ago and has had three impressive (if one tarnished) wins since and has improved a bundle. He needs a shot at another contender now.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He lost a split decision to Rashad about 4 years ago. That's not recent. He got caught by Henderson which is the only time he's ever been stopped. He lost Silva a year ago and has had three impressive (if one tarnished) wins since and has improved a bundle. He needs a shot at another contender now.

As I said, I'd pay good money to see him face Sonnen, simply because he'd get ground out and fucked up over three rounds.

I don't think he lost to Rashad. And bear in mind that Rashad can (and may well again) fight at heavyweight. Bisping was one of the lighter light-heavies at the time of that match.

The Hendo fight was a stupid mistake. OK, top fighters don't make stupid mistakes, but it's not like Hendo was some mid-level nobody. He's one of the most successful fighters in history. You could say the same about Silva, even though he's been pretty inconsistent since coming back to the UFC.

• Paid Members
I don't think it was a deliberate knee.

It's semantics, really, isn't it? Deliberate, instictive, intentional, too early, whatever. The fact is that both of Rivera's knees were down and as a fighter who's supposed to follow the rules, Bisping broke them blatantly, regardless of why. Then he displayed no remorse at all and celebrated the victory in a fight in which he probably concussed his opponent with an illegal strike mid-way through.

He's a knob.

Question though; if Rivera had said he couldn't continue, would he have won by DQ? Discussing it with my friends, we weren't sure of the ruling in such circumstances. Do they score the fight leading up to the illegal blow, or what?

Even Rogan & Goldberg didn't seem to know. The ref didn't DQ Bisping so I'd imagine it would have ended in a no-contest or a Bisping win by stoppage?!

It would have been a DQ win for Rivera, same situation as Hamill and Jones where Hamill got the DQ win.

• Paid Members
Even Rogan & Goldberg didn't seem to know. The ref didn't DQ Bisping so I'd imagine it would have ended in a no-contest or a Bisping win by stoppage?!

It would have been a DQ win for Rivera, same situation as Hamill and Jones where Hamill got the DQ win.

That seems such a strange ruling though, because what's to stop Rivera taking the easy victory and saying he can't continue, regardless of whether it's true or not? Surely it should be a doctor's decision, not the fighter in question?

Mind you, I would've laughed my balls off if Bisping had lost like that.

That seems such a strange ruling though, because what's to stop Rivera taking the easy victory and saying he can't continue, regardless of whether it's true or not? Surely it should be a doctor's decision, not the fighter in question?

Mind you, I would've laughed my balls off if Bisping had lost like that.

It is down to the doctor's to decide, in this case though it looked like they were idiots and couldn't make a decision. Hence the ref took it upon himself to ask Rivera if he could/wanted to continue, he said yes so restarted the fight.

• Paid Members

That makes sense, just odd that the commentators didn't state that outright.

It should have been a DQ really, deliberate or not. Also, why is there a 5 minute rest period for an eye poke or a low blow but not for an illegal knee? And if there is no 5 minute period, then it should be an automatic DQ surely, otherwise the fighter who takes the blow is at a disadvantage.

It should have been a DQ really, deliberate or not. Also, why is there a 5 minute rest period for an eye poke or a low blow but not for an illegal knee? And if there is no 5 minute period, then it should be an automatic DQ surely, otherwise the fighter who takes the blow is at a disadvantage.

I agree it's a real problem. It can't always be a DQ because sometimes someone gets hit with an illegal knee/kick and they are fine to continue and not even hurt, so if the fight was automatically stopped neither fighter would be happy. This is the reason it is left to the doctors/fighter. The other problem is if Rivera said he could not continue he would end up getting a load of abuse for not continuing, hence the fighters feel like they have to continue.

Rogan and Goldberg are imbeciles. Illegal blow = 5 minutes to recover. If the fighter can't continue, it's a DQ win for him. Most guys don't want to do that because they know it looks pussy and will hurt them in the eyes of the fans and Zuffa. Most would rather fight on and try and get the best kind of revenge. Also, with eye pokes and ball shots, you're usually going to be OK after a few minutes. An illegal knee is a bit different, but it gives you time to clear your head and get checked for a concussion.

Proof of the five minutes thing comes from the Diaz/DHK fight. Diaz hits the knee, the ref stops the fight and calls to the timekeeper "give me five minutes." When Diaz asks him about it, the ref looks at the replay on the big screens, realises it was legal and says to Kim "are you able to continue? I can't give you five minutes." The fight is back on almost instantly after that.

• Paid Members

I agree it's a real problem. It can't always be a DQ because sometimes someone gets hit with an illegal knee/kick and they are fine to continue and not even hurt, so if the fight was automatically stopped neither fighter would be happy. This is the reason it is left to the doctors/fighter. The other problem is if Rivera said he could not continue he would end up getting a load of abuse for not continuing, hence the fighters feel like they have to continue.

If a fighter can't continue because of an illegal blow, then the ref should call a DQ. However, fights often can continue after an illegal blow (which is usually a blow to the nads) and even when they can't and the doctors are brain-dead, fighters will be seen as mega-pussys for quitting so they agree to carry on.

I've said all along the fight should have ended on DQ, and it would have had the doctors done their job.

Archived