Flair pulled out of UK tour?

Kata Ha Jime

TNA aren't in a position where they can afford to piss people off so they should show some initiative and they'll receive some goodwill in return.

TNA also aren't in a position where they want or need to give a refund either.

Granted, Flair has pulled an Ultimate Warrior, which isn't good however I am going to the Manchester show and I, for one, am not going to hold it against TNA that some off their talent have become injured and will not be there, these things happen. And as for Kurt Angle, his wife was/is in intensive care for God's sake, he's allowed the time off.

And on the subject of repeat business. Are you telling me that if TNA in the near future advertise a new show with the same names or better that people won't buy the tickets?! Get real.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
TNA aren't in a position where they can afford to piss people off so they should show some initiative and they'll receive some goodwill in return.

TNA also aren't in a position where they want or need to give a refund either.

And on the subject of repeat business. Are you telling me that if TNA in the near future advertise a new show with the same names or better that people won't buy the tickets?! Get real.

Some might not. there's already one guy on here who was upset by the 2009 shows and we're only a tiny representation of the fanbase. For every one who'll go regardless and be happy with a Jay Lethal vs. Kazarian main event, there's someone who's kids only wanted to see AJ and Kurt Angle who might not go next year.

If they offer the refund under the usual terms, hardly anyone will take it but everyone would've had the chance. That's good business sense because it makes TNA look better than your average dodgy promotion. It's sensible strategy. Given that AJ, Angle and Flair were on all the posters, it is something they should want to do.

Do run some iffy promotion by the way?

This Flair story is remarkable in respect of the fact he's pulled something like this while overseas. It's one thing holding the promoter to ransom when you're in your home country etc, but for attempting to get 'more' money at the very least he's lost his Berlin wages and potentially paying his own way home.

Will be more disastrous if his bag was already on the bus!

Tiger_Rick, when buying tickets you enter into an agreement with the promoter that you understand and acknowledge that the card is subject to change. You need to sit down and think about that.

I am sat down. Glad we cleared that up.

The promoter needs to realise that it doesn't matter what the agreement says. If they don't deliver what is promised then the next time, people won't buy tickets. History shows what promoting lacklustre cards does to repeat house show attendance. The promoter shouldn't be arrogant enough to think "card subject to change" covers all eventualities and should acknowledge that.

TNA are promising to deliver a wrestling show with TNA wrestlers wrestling on it. I have every confidence in them that they will deliver it, and that none of the workers will phone it in like a WWE house show. The poster says "card subject to change". It's not their fault that AJ and Shelley are injured, or Angle's had a genuine medical emergency or Flair's decided to throw a strop and isn't working the tour. They should only offer a refund if the show doesn't happen. It's the equivalent of saying that, if I phone in sick and don't come to work, I should have my wages docked. It's one of those things that happen.

I wish the Microsoft Paint thread was still going. I'd love somebody to do up a picture of the TNA bus leaving with Flair standing there. Was it pissing down as well yesterday?

Start a whole new Paint thread...i'd like to get in on this!

Some might not. there's already one guy on here who was upset by the 2009 shows and we're only a tiny representation of the fanbase. For every one who'll go regardless and be happy with a Jay Lethal vs. Kazarian main event, there's someone who's kids only wanted to see AJ and Kurt Angle who might not go next year.

There are the infamous WCW UK Tours of 2000 which support Rick's theory.

I've just done a quick google search so the figures might not be bang on, but when they advertised all of the big names for the March 2000 tour they drew a sell-out crowd of 16,318 at the M.E.N. Arena. And that was just for a house show.

As those of us unfortunate enough to have witnessed that show will remember, Flair & Luger were the only big-gish names to have wrestled and quick appearances on the stage by Nash & Bret were the only other headliner sightings.

8 months later they returned for another UK tour, and the show at that same M.E.N. Arena (a TV taping, in fact) drew 7,001 fans.

Granted, the product had got even worse in those 7 months, but I reckon a large number of the fans that didn't give them a second chance based their decision on them failing to deliver what they advertised previously.

There are the infamous WCW UK Tours of 2000 which support Rick's theory.

I've just done a quick google search so the figures might not be bang on, but when they advertised all of the big names for the March 2000 tour they drew a sell-out crowd of 16,318 at the M.E.N. Arena. And that was just for a house show.

As those of us unfortunate enough to have witnessed that show will remember, Flair & Luger were the only big-gish names to have wrestled and quick appearances on the stage by Nash & Bret were the only other headliner sightings.

8 months later they returned for another UK tour, and the show at that same M.E.N. Arena (a TV taping, in fact) drew 7,001 fans.

Granted, the product had got even worse in those 7 months, but I reckon a large number of the fans that didn't give them a second chance based their decision on them failing to deliver what they advertised previously.

At the time I'm sure the story ran on BBC Watchdog!

• Paid Members

WCW was still at least a thriving company in late 1999 though, was still on TNT which was doing good numbers when the tickets went on sale and had major television appearances from Hall, Nash and Bret on big TV shows over here. The WCW tour in late 2000 saw WCW on Bravo doing about 3 viewers a week and when they were (for some reason) going head to head with Raw on a Friday and with hardly any appearances on the likes of the Big Breakfast or Live and Kicking like the year previously. The February tour didnt help, but there were a lot more factors to why that tour died on its arse. In late 2000, when the promotion had the budget cut off from the people at Turner because they were or were about to go up for sale, they were lucky to have even done 7,000 people.

The TNA I went to @ Braehead was a very entertaining show but the main part that I remember for (well actually 2) was someone trying to get over the barrier and getting lamped and Team 3D breaking a table and getting a kid in the ring to give him a piece of it.

Overall I would say TNA is slightly better VFM over WWE.

TNA are promising to deliver a wrestling show with TNA wrestlers wrestling on it. I have every confidence in them that they will deliver it, and that none of the workers will phone it in like a WWE house show. The poster says "card subject to change".

"Card subject to change" is not a get-out clause for everything -- legally, maybe, but not in terms of reputation and customer satisfaction. AJ Spitfire could've written "card subject to change" on all of his posters if his felt tips hadn't run out, it's not going to mean everyone who went to his show expecting Ric Flair, Stone Cold and Heidenreich walked away happy.

It's the equivalent of saying that, if I phone in sick and don't come to work, I should have my wages docked.

If your job is a wrestler or performer of any kind, that's true. Flu is all well and good for an office/warehouse/whatever drone, but it's a different kettle of fish when your job involves thousands of people buying tickets to see you. There's all the excuses in the world, but TNA have failed to deliver a goodly portion of the advertised stars (including, it seems, the one the tour's named after). I doubt anyone attending the show would take the refund and leave, but TNA should at least make the gesture so they don't seem like a small-time, get-your-money-and-run operation. A major part of running a successful business is delivering what you promise, and in entertainment, that involves balancing star egos and making up for unforeseen problems. Listing all the reasons it's someone else's fault isn't going to do anyone any good.

Archived