Flair pulled out of UK tour?

Kata Ha Jime

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cant be arsed reading the thread but apparently Flair will be in Glasgow tommorow night, source is Brutus Magnus, seen him in Nandos tonight about 7pm.

Thought they were all staying at another hotel and was gutted as I am booked in at a different hotel for my birds birthday tommorow, turns out they are at the same hotel. Cant help but think al launch my Mrs to stalk Flairs botty.

• Moderators
WCW was still at least a thriving company in late 1999 though, was still on TNT which was doing good numbers when the tickets went on sale and had major television appearances from Hall, Nash and Bret on big TV shows over here. The WCW tour in late 2000 saw WCW on Bravo doing about 3 viewers a week and when they were (for some reason) going head to head with Raw on a Friday and with hardly any appearances on the likes of the Big Breakfast or Live and Kicking like the year previously. The February tour didnt help, but there were a lot more factors to why that tour died on its arse. In late 2000, when the promotion had the budget cut off from the people at Turner because they were or were about to go up for sale, they were lucky to have even done 7,000 people.

Back of the net. WCW were doing 10,000 in Oz and over here in October and November '00.

• Paid Members
WCW was still at least a thriving company in late 1999 though, was still on TNT which was doing good numbers when the tickets went on sale and had major television appearances from Hall, Nash and Bret on big TV shows over here. The WCW tour in late 2000 saw WCW on Bravo doing about 3 viewers a week and when they were (for some reason) going head to head with Raw on a Friday and with hardly any appearances on the likes of the Big Breakfast or Live and Kicking like the year previously. The February tour didnt help, but there were a lot more factors to why that tour died on its arse. In late 2000, when the promotion had the budget cut off from the people at Turner because they were or were about to go up for sale, they were lucky to have even done 7,000 people.

Back of the net. WCW were doing 10,000 in Oz and over here in October and November '00.

I think there's a valid point to be remembered about maintaining the trust of the fans, though. I distinctly remember someone (probably Lister again) citing the Fingerpoke of Doom as being a quantifiable business killer for wCw, in that the very next show they promoted at the Georgia Dome saw them draw barely even half the attendance they got the for the FoD show - the fans simply didn't trust them any more.

• Paid Members

They ran the Georgia Dome 7 months after that. It was months of damage, not one match (contrary to popular belief). After the January 4 Nash vs Hogan match, Souled Out 99, Superbrawl 99 and Uncensored 99 all drew big numbers before that Georgia Dome show. By the time the next Georgia show came about, WCW had no Hulk Hogan, no Goldberg, no Scott Hall, no Bret Hart and the booking post Uncensored featured Sid, Nash and Savage as the main eventers. Booking over the next few months killed off WCW's momentum as well as injuries and Bischoff looking elsewhere and concentration on things like outside celebrities, music deals and KISS wrestlers. Business was still rocking after January 4. If they'd have put on a product people wanted to watch around April time, the whole figure poke of doom thing wouldn't be this big historical thing people look at. People kept watching at the consistent high level for weeks after it, and was doing better than most of late 98's ratings.

January 4, 1999 - 5.0

January 11, 1999 - 5.0

January 18, 1999 - 4.4

January 25, 1999 - 5.0

February 1, 1999 - 4.7

February 8, 1999 - 5.7

February 15, 1999 - 3.9

February 22, 1999 - 4.8

February 29, 1999 -4.3

March 8, 1999 - 4.4

March 15, 1999 - 4.3

March 22, 1999 - 4.0

March 29, 1999 - 3.5

April 5, 1999 - 4.3

April 12, 1999 - 4.4

April 19, 1999 - 4.1

• Moderators

Not sure how relevant that is mind, Carbomb. You're talking about 22 months prior to the shows I'm referring to. I'm talking about WCW as an overseas draw. Not how they fill US arenas.

They ran the Georgia Dome 7 months after that. It was months of damage, not one match (contrary to popular belief). After the January 4 Nash vs Hogan match, Souled Out 99, Superbrawl 99 and Uncensored 99 all drew big numbers before that Georgia Dome show. By the time the next Georgia show came about, WCW had no Hulk Hogan, no Goldberg, no Scott Hall, no Bret Hart and the booking post Uncensored featured Sid, Nash and Savage as the main eventers. Booking over the next few months killed off WCW's momentum and Bischoff looking elsewhere and consecrating on things like outside celebrities, music deals and KISS wrestlers. Business was still rocking after January 4. If they'd have put on a product people wanted to watch around April time, the whole figure poke of doom thing wouldn't be this big historical thing people look at. People kept watching at the consistent high level for weeks after it, and was doing better than most of late 98's ratings.

January 4, 1999 - 5.0

January 11, 1999 - 5.0

January 18, 1999 - 4.4

January 25, 1999 - 5.0

February 1, 1999 - 4.7

February 8, 1999 - 5.7

February 15, 1999 - 3.9

February 22, 1999 - 4.8

February 29, 1999 -4.3

March 8, 1999 - 4.4

March 15, 1999 - 4.3

March 22, 1999 - 4.0

March 29, 1999 - 3.5

April 5, 1999 - 4.3

April 12, 1999 - 4.4

April 19, 1999 - 4.1

I always found it interesting that WCW started to bomb with Easy E's "WE'LL GET AN 8.0 TONIGHT LADS!" shite new set brought in during April '99.

• Paid Members
Not sure how relevant that is mind, Carbomb. You're talking about 22 months prior to the shows I'm referring to. I'm talking about WCW as an overseas draw. Not how they fill US arenas.

Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with you, per se. I'm not even blaming TNA either - it's pretty obvious their problems are beyond their control. All it is is that I think there's a valid point concerning the very general principle of keeping the fans' goodwill, especially during times of economic strain - people might be less willing to fork out for the next tour if they feel they've been gypped, is all.

Archived