UFC 126: Silva vs Belfort Discussion Thread

David

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jones said he hasn't even practiced that choke before and just seen GSP do it in training and decided to copy it, the guys a freak of nature, I could see him winning the Heavyweight title within 2 years.

I knew the main event would be cautious to start off with as both are so explosive and like that it was over 10 seconds after the first significant blow landed, hopefully Jake Shields or an injury doesn't stop the two best P4P fighters in the world getting it on and unlike most I can see GSP doing great even if he is much smaller.

The rest of the card wasn't that great Torres & Mighty Mouse fought smart and weren't in any trouble. Ellenberger-Rocha was great in the first round, slowed way down in the last two rounds and Rocha couldn't get it back on the ground, so was out pointed on his feet.

Griffin looked quite good, he had the right game plan and used his size to win, I could see Forrest against Rampage (If he beats Thiago Silva) or Rashad next, Franklin will continue treading water as a gate keeper, perhaps fighting a guy like Phil Davis?

Man, I jumped out of my chair when Anderson hit that kick. Amazing stuff from an amazing fighter. I was delighted.

Apart from that, though, I was very underwhelmed by the card. Jones-Bader was good as a display of how brilliant Jones really is, and Rocha's groundwork was great, but not too much else thrilled me. Griffin-Franklin was probably as bad a fight as it could have been considering the two fighters involved, and for my first time seeing Torres having read so much about him in the past - it was hugely disappointing.

The one other bright spot was probably Paul Taylor. He looked like a new fighter and absolutely dominated Ruediger. Top notch stuff.

Roll on, GSP vs. Anderson.

• Paid Members

Just watched it, quick thoughts before I head out for the Superbowl.

Anderson Silva....Holy fuck!! There'll still be people hating on Silva but he's without doubt the best out there. The fact he's facing GSP proves there's literally nobody left.

Forrest looked solid if unremarkable. Good win for a first fight back for a while.

Jon Jones is a monster, I thought a lot of people were looking past Bader but Jones dominated him with ease. My money's on Shogun but ut's an awesome opportunity for 'bones'.

Seagal is massive.

• Paid Members

Really enjoyed 126. Some of the fights didn't quite live up to expectations but a good night of fights all in all.

Nothing I can really add to the Anderson Silva comments. The guy's a freak, a total MMA legend whatever happens in the future he's surpassed the likes of Randy,Chuck and Hughes for me as far as accomplishments go.

I thought Belfort was starting to find his rythym and then Anderson goes and pulls out some ninja shit like that :D awesome finish.

Griffin/Franklin was a fun fight, not quite the FOTYC I thought it was gonna be but I really liked the fight after the slow start anyway. Was pleased Griffin won, I'm hoping he fights the Rampage/Thiago winner next.

Jones vs Bader went as I expected pretty much. Torres/Banuelos and KID/Johnson were the 2 letdowns of the night for me. I expected a lot more from them 2 fights but you can't really fault Torres and Johnson they did what they had to do and would've been stupid to take unneccessary risks against tough opponents.

Ellenberger/Rocha was decent, first round was great stuff from Rocha. His BJJ is a thing of beauty, he'll be one to watch in the future.

The prelims were all good fights. Mendes/Omigawa was better than I expected going in and Cerrone vs Kelly was a cracking little scrap. Kingsbury looked a fucking beast, I haven't seen much of him since TUF 8 but he was a one dimensional wrestler when I last watched him...when did he learn to fuck people up like that? Them knees were nasty.

And I'm seriously pumped for the Shogun vs Bones and possible Anderson vs GSP fights. This year is gonna be fuckin mental.

• Paid Members

Oh yeah, nice to see Paul Taylor in the winning column again and in impressive fashion too. I thought he got a bad break with the judges against Sam Stout so I'm glad he never lost another one...it's good to see his job's safe for the time being.

And watching Gabe "BJ Put Me Back In The Sauna" Ruediger get demolished by Joe Lauzon and Paul Taylor in back to back fights makes me :laugh: I've gotta say.

• Paid Members

Thought this was the dullest card for a while. Nothing terrible but not quite of the standard of their recent stuff.

The opener was the biggest disappointment of your life. A conservative Miguel Torres isn't exactly a wonder to behold. Strong performance from him, he dominated but it wasn't much cop as a contest, save for the last 15 seconds of each round.

Ellenberger/Rocha first round was fantastic. A really good contest. it seemed to jolt Ellenberger though, like he'd been expecting to win easily and was worried by how much trouble he'd got in. As a result, rounds 2 and 3 were really conservative as he kept Rocha at arms length. He won 29-28 but again, it was dull. Who was the judge who went 30-27?

Jones was ace. Bader is a bad dude and Jones dominated him. Great finish too, though tough to see what was going on so the tap was a bit of a shock. Not sure about Jones getting a title shot. It seems too early for him. It's a tough spot for them though because if they put him up against a Rampage or Machida, he might get beat. Strike while the iron's hot, I suppose.

I like Forrest, I'm glad he won. Rounds 2 & 3 in this one weren't great though.

Mixed reaction to the main event. On the one hand, the kick was obviously phenomonal. On the other, it looks set to be a fantastic brawl once they started exchanging so I feel a little robbed. Kick was awesome though. Not as awesome as the looks Rogan and the Interpreter were exchanging as Silva rambled on in Portuguese!

All the panellists on MMA Live before the ppv started agreed that it was believed Dana didn't want to rush the Jones/Bader winner in to a Title shot too soon, so the plan was for the winner of that fight to meet the winner of Griffin/Franklin next.

How long has it been known that Rashad was injured?

Incredible finish to the main event, first time I've actually applauded something whilst sat in a room on my own.

All the panellists on MMA Live before the ppv started agreed that it was believed Dana didn't want to rush the Jones/Bader winner in to a Title shot too soon, so the plan was for the winner of that fight to meet the winner of Griffin/Franklin next.

Incredible finish to the main event, first time I've actually applauded something whilst sat in a room on my own.

I think Rashad said he got injured on Wednesday. So I guess he would have got it checked out and notified the UFC on Thursday.

• Paid Members

Jon Jones must have had an inkling in his mind that if he won big on Saturday night he was gonna get the shot...but what if Bader had won? i don't think there's any chance they'd have given Bader the shot, is there?

and i just saw this pic over on bloodyelbow, outstanding stuff:

jones427_medium.jpg

When Griffin came out looking like that because of the ringrust, i had no hope left for Vitor with an extra year on the bench. He couldnt do anything. Silva put him out of his misery.

Bit of a lackluster PPV after all of the hype. Main event was brilliant. Bones impressed the hell out of me and i'm glad he won

I think Rashad said he got injured on Wednesday. So I guess he would have got it checked out and notified the UFC on Thursday.

The UFC had their Vegas doctors check out Rashad out on Friday and heard word back just before the card started, according to Dana.

Bader was undefeated, so a win over Jones might have got him the shot. Then again, he didn't have the Jones hype so maybe he'd have gone into an eliminator against one of the other guys that was just underneath Rashad. Doesn't really matter now, since he didn't just get beaten. He got PWNED~! I suspect he may now be at least two or three really good wins away from a shot, and they're going to have to be over beasts like Silva, Rampage and maybe even a returning Rashad. Who knows? Maybe the proposed Bader/Jones winner Vs. Griffin will now become Bader Vs. Griffin. He should win that, but after that is anyone's guess. I can't think Lyoto is going to stay out of the picture for long either, but I reckon he's about where Bader is right now too.

Archived