UFC 126: Silva vs Belfort Discussion Thread

David

Jones is already the betting favourite over Shogun;

Despite being a champion, Mauricio "Shogun" Rua currently is the underdog to title challenger Jon Jones in their upcoming UFC 128 title fight.

That's according to the oddsmakers' opening line, anyway.

Noted MMA oddsmaker and frequent MMAjunkie.com Radio guest Joey Oddessa today confirmed the initial line with MMAjunkie.com. Jones opens as a -150 favorite while Rua is a +120 underdog.

Jones (12-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) set up the light-heavyweight title fight, which takes place March 19 at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., with a victory over Ryan Bader at Saturday's UFC 126 event in Las Vegas. Rashad Evans initially was slated to fight Rua (19-4 MMA, 3-2 UFC), but earlier in the day, UFC president Dana White and the organization's medical staff learned that a torn knee ligament will keep Evans sidelined for six to eight weeks.

Once Jones scored a second-round submission victory over then-undefeated Bader, he was told the title shot is his.

The 23-year-old phenom's hype now will only grow; few title challengers have entered a championship bout as a favorite.

Yet, "This is the second time in recent months that the champion enters as the underdog," said Oddessa, who provides line-movement updates at Twitter.com/mmaodds. "The last being Frankie Edgar ... against Gray Maynard. While it's rare, Frankie representing the underdogs is 1-0-1 in the champion-vs.-underdog role."

The -150 line means oddsmakers are giving Jones an approximate 60 percent change of winning. "Shogun" is an approximate 45 percent favorite. (Due to the nature of sports wagering, the two figures don't add up to an even 100 percent.)

Oddessa said the fight already has seen heavy action, thanks partially to this weekend's Super Bowl betting.

"The initial support all came in on Jon Jones, driving the number from -150 to -155 to -175 early," he said. "Then the Rua money came in. This was in the first 15 minutes it was put on the board. (It's) all big-limit action on both sides, and now the bout is sitting at Jones -160.

"Jones' dominant win over a great wrestler and fighter in Ryan Bader has the whole planet buzzing about the potential of the young fighter, and they are going to the windows with it."

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

got this this morining and skipped to the main event (will watch the rest when I have the free time). Seen as they didnt do anything for the first two minutes, it was essentially a 3 minute destruction on Anderson's part, and to echo Joe Rogan - FRONT KICK TO THE FACE!~. Awesome knockout.

Not sure of Jones taking the title fight only 6 weeks after his fight with Bader though

got this this morining and skipped to the main event (will watch the rest when I have the free time). Seen as they didnt do anything for the first two minutes, it was essentially a 3 minute destruction on Anderson's part, and to echo Joe Rogan - FRONT KICK TO THE FACE!~. Awesome knockout.

Not sure of Jones taking the title fight only 6 weeks after his fight with Bader though

Jones will have no problem i reckon. He will still be in fight shape.. didnt sustain very much damage against Bader. And Shogun is a pretty straight forward kickboxer, so the gameplan is simple. either use his range to stand and bang with Shogun or take it to the ground and submit him. Bader is a stronger and better wrestler then Rua and Jones subbed him so i think the title is going to Jones.

If Chris Leben can do it in 2, Jon Jones can do it in 6

• Paid Members

Yeah, he would have taken it had it been a weeks notice I imagine. 6 weeks is plenty. He's not hurt.

Bones era starts here. I can't see Shogun beating him.

Rashad must be gutted, He says he wouldn't fight Jones because of the Jacksons thing. I reckon he'd be too scared too :)

Just seen the show payoffs in the latest issue of the Observer, and you can bet your bottom dollar that the former WEC guys are greatful for the merger as Cowboy Cerrone earned $111,000 for his fight with Paul Kelly including the $75,000 best fight bonus. Full base pay listings are as follows:

Mike Pierce $28,000

Kenny Robertson $6,000

Kyle Kingsbury $20,000

Ricardo Romero $10,000

Paul Taylor $36,000

Gabe Ruediger $8,000

Demetrious Johnson $10,000

Kid Yamamoto $15,000 (although Meltzer writes there was no way Kid was lured to the US for $15K)

Chad Mendes $19,000

Michihiro Omigawa $8,000

Donald Cerrone $111,000

Paul Kelly $94,000 (includes $75,000 Best Fight bonus for both)

Miguel Angel Torres $56,000

Antonio Banuelos $9,000

Jake Ellenberger $32,000

Carlos Edouardo Rocha $8,000

Jon Jones $215,000 (includes $75,000 Best Submission bonus)

Ryan Bader $20,000

Forrest Griffin $275,000 (Meltzer speculates that he likely got a lot more as he's one of the fighters who gets a PPV percentage in his contract, or at least he did in his prior fights)

Rich Franklin $75,000

Anderson Silva $275,000 (includes

• Paid Members
Those figures were posted on MMA Junkie a few days ago. Most of the top UFC guys such as Franklin will get bonuses "under the table".

I know this is fairly common knowledge, but how on earth are they calculated when Ryan (undefeated, possible next big thing Bader) is earning less than Mike Pierce, and only a $1000 more than Paul Kelly!

I guess it's a bad example as he'll be on a TUF winners contract at a guess, but not the first time i've seen this figures and been shocked at things like that.

Yeah, the TUF contract is five fights at $20,000 a pop to make SIX FIGURES~! Bader's doubled that in all his prior fights by winning them. I imagine once that contract finishes, he'll take a substantial step up.

The Silva/Belfort numbers are weird. Why doesn't Silva get a win bonus? And what did Belfort do to earn such a high base?

• Paid Members
Yeah, the TUF contract is five fights at $20,000 a pop to make SIX FIGURES~! Bader's doubled that in all his prior fights by winning them. I imagine once that contract finishes, he'll take a substantial step up.

The Silva/Belfort numbers are weird. Why doesn't Silva get a win bonus? And what did Belfort do to earn such a high base?

Because he has PPV points, which I'm sure was a priority to his agent.

UFC bought his contract from Affliction, who obviously were paying silly money.

I was sure that some of the other guys with PPV cuts (BJ, Lesnar, Randy et al.) all got win bonuses as well as their PPV money.

I didn't realise that about Belfort. Seems kinda goofy, since Affliction went out of business. Why would they need to buy the contract?

• Paid Members

I was sure that some of the other guys with PPV cuts (BJ, Lesnar, Randy et al.) all got win bonuses as well as their PPV money.

I didn't realise that about Belfort. Seems kinda goofy, since Affliction went out of business. Why would they need to buy the contract?

Affliction didn't technically go out of business did they, they simply agreed to stop promoting, meaning that the contracts were still valid and UFC bought out those that they wanted.

Archived