UFC 126: Silva vs Belfort Discussion Thread

David

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

great news, especially as im staying up to watch it live.

How does the stream work? i know you gotta 'like' the ufc on facebook, but is there a countdown to the vid? do you have to click something?

great news, especially as im staying up to watch it live.

How does the stream work? i know you gotta 'like' the ufc on facebook, but is there a countdown to the vid? do you have to click something?

Firstly sign in to Facebook and make sure you've liked the UFC page , just on the border where it says Wall, Info ect. it will say either Live Video or Live Prelims and just click on there and it should be alright. As I said before, the video will be blocky for about 30 seconds at first (thats just cause its finding the ideal quality for your connection) but then it'll turn to near HD quality.

Heres the link incase you can't find it (make sure you're logged in)

Serious stare-downs at the press conference:

ee710d0ec0a9bbcf2b05e1e140e88974.jpg

525143db0a2469cc5af9295ea25bc372.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks Anderson looks more like Ahmed Johnson in the second picture?

Seriously excited about the main event...and pretty much every other fight on the card.

Here's Dana's latest video-blog, this one is special as it shows some footage of inside the TUF gym while filming and Lesnar & JDS give their predictions for UFC 126 (its the last 2+ minutes of the video). It must be said that Lesnar looks in great shape and alot leaner than before - plus he is actually happy in the video:

Link

• Paid Members

read Dana's comments on what he's expecting from the main event?

I'm going to be honest here -- I'm not going to be a promoter here, but let's be honest. This thing could be the most dynamic, incredible (freaking) fight we've ever seen -- or the worst staring competition in the history of mankind. All I care about is that both these guys come and let it go and fight the fight we know we could possibly see.

Dana's nervous :laugh:

• Paid Members

i'll make my calls here...i was gonna drop some money on it, but i went 3/4 (again!) last week with Strikeforce and i aint prepared to lose any more cash:

Belfort/Silva - this for me, is the hardest fight to predict. In my head i usually have like an instant visual of what i think might happen, not with this one. Both guys are super dangerous standing but in completely different ways, it could be a case of just who's 'on' on the night. Vitor has the chance to become a superstar once again, i'd love to see him do it but i feel a sharp Anderson might discourage him. I've always said it, that everyone goes on about 'what Vitor shows up', i think Vitor's always there, he just sometimes doesn't pull the trigger, when he does though he's deadly. Silva Decision

Jones/Bader - can't see anything other than Jon Jones winning this, i think he'll take over late in the bout and finish Bader by strikes. Bader's shown that he's faded down the stretch and although there's no proof that Jones won't either, i just get the feeling that Jon Jones could go for days. Jones TKO r3

Franklin/Griffin - two big fan favourites fighting, so i think the best everyone can hope for is that it's a war! i think it will be, its that kind of style clash that wll produce fireworks. Neither guy is a massive KO puncher and both have solid chins so i think we might get something resembling Griffin/Bonnar. Tough to call but i'll have take Franklin Decision, just seem him doing the more quality work.

Torres/Banuelos - by far the most overlooked fight on the card. This could be fucking outstanding. On any other card i think the UFC would have promoted Torres towards a co-main event slot as they clearly wanna make some stars in the 135/145 divisions. Both these guys have won fight of the night honours in the past and both are gonna come out looking to impress. Gonna be a knock down, drag out scrap. SHould be a great advert for 135. Torres Submission round

Ellenberger/Rocha - by far the fight most people are uninterested in...i think it's safe to say that most (die hard) fans would prefer to see the KID/Johnson fight here instead of this, but this is a case of getting new faces familiarised on the main card. It's a bit of a win-win in that whoever wins it creates a new contender, Rocha is one of these jiu jitsu phenoms that seems to be bringing jiu jitsu back to the forefront of MMA, but Jake Ellenberger is one of those guys i find it hard to chose against, short, stocky and full of energy. Just feel he's got the kind of style that many fighters can't deal with. Ellenberger Decision

Kelly/Cerrone - could be a treat on the Spike! prelims. I'm a big Cowboy fan and he's always up for a scrap, as is Kelly so i can't see this being anything other than a brawl. Cowboy's height might come into play in the standup and i think he'll have a significant advantage if it goes to the ground, but i think everyone's hoping for a slugfest. I'll take Cerrone Decision because i think he has more tools to win overall.

Mendes/Omigawa - everyone rates Omigawa as the most improved fighter in MMA the past few years, but Japanese fighters have a tendency to have poor UFC debuts (i know Omigawa's been in the UFC before, but its his return) and to fight a guy who's able to blanket you like Mendes is bad news. The only way i can see Omigawa winning this is if Mendes has taken critisicm to heart and decides he needs to make his style more exciting and attempts to stand with Omigawa, but i think he'll win convincingly. Mendes Decision

KID/Johnson - the most anticipated unaired prelim ever? (perhaps behind Bonnar/Coleman). A few years ago this would have been a massive deal but KID's fallen on some tough times so it's coming in the back door. KID Yamamoto still has the potential to be a star in the Star and if he can land one of those bombs he has in his fists he could become it. This is gonna be a wild little fight, and thankfully Dana's letting us see it. A lot of people are talking about Johnson's speed but i feel KID is gonna land the shot and arrive in the UFC!! KID KO round 2

yes.

• Paid Members

there's a video of KID Yamamoto doing an interview in English over on MMAFanhouse, he's a lot more humble and respectful than you'd expect, maybe it's to do with the language barrier (his english isn't the best), but there no swagger or shit talking going on. Hope he can pull it off Saturday.

I just don't see Silva/Belfort getting past the second round, nevermind making it to the decision. I'll agree that it depends what Belfort turns up. If he's up for it, Silva will do well to get out of the first round. Silva is equally dangerous as he is pinpoint accurate and knows how to put someone down. One of these two guys are gonna finish it quickly. I've went for Belfort on the MMA Playground via first round KO.

• Paid Members

Watching the Countdown show, it's ironic that in the midst of them pushing Forrest Griffin as a massive fan favourite, they show clips of him interacting with fans where he comes across as a total prick. I'll be pulling for Franklin.

• Paid Members
Watching the Countdown show, it's ironic that in the midst of them pushing Forrest Griffin as a massive fan favourite, they show clips of him interacting with fans where he comes across as a total prick. I'll be pulling for Franklin.

It is a weird one, and maybe i have fanboy blindness having met the guy, but i was fortunate enough to meet a bunch of the guys at XC a couple of years ago, and Forrest, despite seeming a little tired was honestly as cool a guy as you could ever hope to meet, even taking time to pose for a picture. Always find it fascinating how people's opinions can vary so much.

• Paid Members

It is a weird one, and maybe i have fanboy blindness having met the guy, but i was fortunate enough to meet a bunch of the guys at XC a couple of years ago, and Forrest, despite seeming a little tired was honestly as cool a guy as you could ever hope to meet, even taking time to pose for a picture. Always find it fascinating how people's opinions can vary so much.

It's Meltzer that always alludes to Griffin being a bit of a prick out of the public eye isnt it?

It's Meltzer that always alludes to Griffin being a bit of a prick out of the public eye isnt it?

Yes.

• Paid Members

i dont think Griffin came across as a prick, he just always seems to have a smart ass comment reply to everything, just seems like his sense of humor...guess people read it the wrong way.

what the countdown did was show a great insight into the Liddell/Franklin bout when Franklin busted his arm, he was doomed if that fight had gone out of the 1st round....Chuck Liddell might still be fighting now if that round had ended.

• Paid Members

Bones Jones seemed a little too confident, as well. Not that I think Bader's going to beat him, it just felt like Jones was setting himself up for a fall the way he was talking as if victory was a certainty. There's no doubt he's amazing, but he seems to be developing a cocky attitude to go with it.

Both the Jones/Bader and Silva/Belfort stare downs at the press conference were ace. Seriously stoked for this card.

I'm picking Bader. Jones is more spectacular, but Bader has the strength of ten men. I think it'll probably end up not being a very fun fight, but Bader will grind it out.

Of course, knowing how my picks tend to go, that means you can bet the farm on Jones getting a record-speed knockout.

Archived