UFC 126: Silva vs Belfort Discussion Thread

David

Not the best prep for a championship fight. I still think that if the fight goes past the first, Vitor doesn't stand a snowballs chance in Hell of winning.

this is a good shout. the phenom may have quick and incredibly powerful hands but silva proved in the griffin fight he dodges fists like neo dodges bullets.

anyone backing bader may be a little foolish.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not the best prep for a championship fight. I still think that if the fight goes past the first, Vitor doesn't stand a snowballs chance in Hell of winning.

this is a good shout. the phenom may have quick and incredibly powerful hands but silva proved in the griffin fight he dodges fists like neo dodges bullets.

anyone backing bader may be a little foolish.

Yeah but Griffin looked fairly slow and sluggish in that fight. Anderson also clowned Damien Maia, who isn't exactly renowned for his striking skills. Chael was able to wobble Anderson with some hooks, and Vitor is a much better, more powerful boxer. Thing is, it's hard to make a judgment on Vitor's cardio because we haven't seen it tested. He might be able to last a 5 round war nowadays, we just don't know until the fight happens. I do think Vitor fights a bit smarter than he used to though, I think he can KO Anderson.

im finding that Vitor story pretty weird, its kinda like Vitor's excuse is already being put in place.

I doubt any fight fan would buy into excuses. It would simply be assumed that Belfort just wasn't up to the job.

I can't see anything other than an Anderson Silva win. I hope I'm wrong though, as a win for Belfort would freshen up the division.

• Paid Members
Yeah but Griffin looked fairly slow and sluggish in that fight. Anderson also clowned Damien Maia, who isn't exactly renowned for his striking skills. Chael was able to wobble Anderson with some hooks, and Vitor is a much better, more powerful boxer. Thing is, it's hard to make a judgment on Vitor's cardio because we haven't seen it tested. He might be able to last a 5 round war nowadays, we just don't know until the fight happens. I do think Vitor fights a bit smarter than he used to though, I think he can KO Anderson.

I'm a big Belfort fan but I don't fancy his chances in this one. He's got a puncher's chance early on and then it's downhill from there I reckon.

On the cardio issue we can only go on history. It's worth noting that Belfort has gassed a few times in the past, hasn't fought since September 2009, and that was at 195 and ended in round 1 so doesn't tell us much about his gas tank. He hasn't made 185 since the Lindland fight in Jan 09 and he's never ever fought past 20 minutes in his career (that was Pride with the 10 min first round).

You're right that Vitor's boxing is much better than Sonnen's but I'm not gonna read much into that in guaging this fight. I think Anderson just figured Chael posed no threat on the feet and got complacent, he won't make that mistake with someone like Belfort.

• Paid Members

Who's everyone got in the Griffin vs Franklin fight?

I can't wait for this one, it's been a bit of a dream fight of mine since I saw the TUF 1 finale where Forrest had the classic first fight with Bonnar and Franklin beat down Ken Shamrock the same night. Back then I was only just getting into MMA and I thought man, Forrest Griffin vs Rich Franklin would be a hell of a fight. Never expected it to happen though cos Franklin moved to 185 straight after and ruled there for a while. I'm amped it's finally happening.

The fight itself is a toss up to me. Both are well rounded, both prefer striking, neither guy is considered to have a great chin but both guys are always in exciting fights. Their styles should make for a war. I'm slightly leaning towards Franklin by decision. Just cos he's been more active lately and I'd give him the edge in power.

I think Franklin, I know destroying Chuck isnt much of a thing to brag about these days but I just dont buy Griffin anymore, I think Ace will murder him.

I wouldn't say he destroyed Chuck, yes he KO'd him with a punch, but for about 4:30 of that fight, Chuck was looking awesome and really taking it to Franklin. That said, Forrest has been out for a while and still needs to erase the Silva loss in my book. I watched it the other day, and man was it embarrassing. Beating Tito by decision doesn't really make up for that, because it's Tito. So also backing Franklin to win, but I would love to see the return of the Forrest that fought Bonnar and Shogun.

Just read that Belfort hired Mike Dolce 3-4 months ago to help him cut weight, feel alot better about Belforts chances - should be less prone to gassing.

Also feel better about him making weight, as alot of people had wondered if he was capable of getting back down to 185 for the fight.

Its going to be an interesting show as both belfort and griffin haven't fought in over a year so they are both coming into this as unpredictable elements for their fights. I think Griffin will get the better of Franklin but probably by decision and if it goes to decision it should make fight of the night. I would also say Silva and Bader win the other big fights but the 3 main fights are certainly interesting.

Im going with Bones over Bader personally, I know Bader's undefeated but Jon Jones is just a beast! Expecting a Silva win like most but I believe Belfort is totally capable of KO'ing Silva should he get the chance. Plus nobody expected the complete mauling of Lesnar by Velasquez so anything can happen. Griffin-Franklin im stumped on but cant wait to see it, I really hope that lives up because it has the makings of a fight of the year contender

Im going with Bones over Bader personally, I know Bader's undefeated but Jon Jones is just a beast! Expecting a Silva win like most but I believe Belfort is totally capable of KO'ing Silva should he get the chance. Plus nobody expected the complete mauling of Lesnar by Velasquez so anything can happen. Griffin-Franklin im stumped on but cant wait to see it, I really hope that lives up because it has the makings of a fight of the year contender

Remember Bones is basically undefeated as well, he destroyed Hamill but lost by DQ. I can't see anyway he doesn't win.

Remember Bones is basically undefeated as well, he destroyed Hamill but lost by DQ. I can't see anyway he doesn't win.

You should pay more attention to the forums.

• Paid Members

Yeah I really think Bader's gonna get battered. I don't see what he can threaten Jones with that Hamill and Matyushenko didn't. He's a bit better standing than Hamill and Vlad but really I don't think it will be enough.

I think the type of fighter Jones might have trouble with would be a really good striker with a dangerous submission game i.e. Anderson Silva, Shogun, maybe Little Nog. These wrestlers are getting destroyed.

• Paid Members

Yup, I really don't see Bader having anything for Bones. I can't see him being able to get near him for the Takedown without eating some kind of spinning elbow... I'd be interested in seeing the odd's though. If their that long, It would be rude not to stick a few quid on Bader... just incase ;)

Archived