UFC 126: Silva vs Belfort Discussion Thread

David

Today's the day! Quick predictions are Silva, Franklin, Jones, Rocha and Torres :) Really looking forward to this, going to the local RSL to watch this for the first time. Hope people aren't too rowdy there, I don't like to miss anything. It'll be interesting if some of the casuals know the ground game or if they're all about the knockout.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the biggest news to come out of UFC 126 is that Jon Jones is replacing Rashad as the challenger to Shogun next month! Holy shit I never thought it would happen so soon, and a much more interesting fight than what was originally scheduled.

Vicious KO by Anderson, but the rest of the show was just kinda ok. Shame considering what it looked like on paper. Torres was disappointing, Ellenberger vs Rocha was good, probably my pick for FOTN. Jones vs Bader... Jones was impressive and I'm glad he won, but his gameplan surprised me in that we didn't see his vicious strikes, not as exciting a fight as I predicted. Ditto for Forrest vs Franklin.

I think the biggest news to come out of UFC 126 is that Jon Jones is replacing Rashad as the challenger to Shogun next month! Holy shit I never thought it would happen so soon, and a much more interesting fight than what was originally scheduled.

It was big news but nowhere near the biggest news to come out of the show.

The biggest news is:

Dana has confirmed that if GSP beats Jake Shields (which he should) then in his next fight he will face Anderson Silva for the MW title, in what would by far be the biggest & most hyped MMA fight in history! Dana said the Dallas Cowboys 80,000 seat stadium could be a possibility for that fight.

Silva vs GSP!

(I don't care if that means Okami gets shafted again)

The biggest news is:

Dana has confirmed that if GSP beats Jake Shields (which he should) then in his next fight he will face Anderson Silva for the MW title, in what would by far be the biggest & most hyped MMA fight in history! Dana said the Dallas Cowboys 80,000 seat stadium could be a possibility for that fight.

Silva vs GSP!

:O When was this? The post-fight press conference? That's great!

The biggest news is:

Silva vs GSP!

:O When was this? The post-fight press conference? That's great!

Yep, at the post-fight presser.

Wow. I'm one of those guys that always rates Fedor over Anderson but when he does things like this then it is harder and harder for me to keep the rankings like that.

Rest of the card was mediocre. Bones getting a title shot was a pleasant surprise. I wonder how much notice Shogun had of the opponent change? 6 weeks is an awfully short time to change your training for a new opponent, especially coming off a serious injury. As much as it pains me to say it I think we will have a new Light Heavyweight champion at 128.

Yeah the card didnt deliver as good as it looked on paper but was still a great card. So glad Griffin won. Gutted for Bader but he got totally manhandled by Jones. Looking forward to seeing Jones Vs Rua and I think Jones will take the title. Torres was a big dissapointment but to be honest cant blame him for not standing and trading as his opponent had some serious power. Glad Cerrone won aswell and I think that Kelly will avoid the cut due to it being given fight of the night honors. Hope Rudegiuer gets cut as he sucks big time, dont even know why he was on the card. As for the main event that kick was absolutely killer!

• Paid Members

first, last night was the last time i stay to watch it live and get pissed, i didn't plan on it but i got carried away...my thoughts on the card are a little hazy, never again.

* Silva/Belfort looked like it was heading for the 'staring' contest Dana feared, was the front kick the first strike Anderson threw? unbelievable finish...like Curryangel said, it's things like that that make Anderson Silva the best ever, nobody else pulls off that kind of stuff in fights, devastating...who the hell do they have him fight now?

* Franklin/Griffin - this is hazy for me, basically Griffin won the first easy, then it kind of became the fight everyone expected...be interested to know if Franklin hurt his left hand or if he was just protecting it, because he was throwing it sparingly. It wasn't a classic but it was a scrappy fun fight to watch.

* Jones/Bader - now this is the story to come out of the card, Jon Jones is fucking amazing. Absolutely dominated Bader, Jones just looks on another level to everyone. It was pretty apparent from about a minute in that Bader only had a punchers chance to win this. Jones' unique size is a key to his success, he's an awkward guy to deal with and i can't see Shogun beating him in anyway, the last time Shogun came back off a long lay-off he was awful, Jones might smash him.

* Ellenberger/Rocha - the first round of this was the best round of the night easily, brilliant stuff...Rocha is great to watch on the ground. Problem with this was that after that round, Ellenberger rightfully kept it on the feet where he basically scored his way to rounds 2 + 3. The first round was great but ruined what came after it :(

* Torres/Banuelos - another hugh letdown :( Torres new safety-gameplan first style is effective but it's killed what made Torres so exciting in the first place. As for Banuelos, he needs a wakeup call, i don't see how shadow-boxing in-front of a guy so much taller than you is gonna win a fight, seriously some of Banuelos punches missed by 2 foot. Good, safe performance from Torres but a poor fight.

* Kelly/Cerrone - excellent stuff in...a WEC guy impresses! Cerrone does usual trick of engaging in a brawl before finally dominating on the ground...it's almost like he lulls fighers in to brawl then takes em down and finishes em. Kelly's job is safe no doubt.

* Mendes/Omigawa - peeps will moan that Mendes went the distance again but there was nothing boring about this performance, he basically hit Omigawa with the kitchen sink, but the Japanese fighter is made of iron...what can you do?

• Paid Members

That front kick was something out of UFC undisputed. Awesome.

Bones man handled Bader, and suprised everyone with his game plan. The Shogun fight should be a belter. Booking on the fly~

Forrest/Franklin wasn't upto much, Happy Forrest won though. Can't see either making any run at a title now though.

Some good finishes on the undercard too, Gonna have to hunt down the Kid fight.

• Paid Members

the KID fight was a huge disappointment :( has any Japanese fighter came in in recent years and actually won their first fight and looked impressive (perhaps Akiyama, but it's widely considered that he lost the Belcher fight).

I was hoping KID may have been the exception when it came to the Japanese, I mean he has 4 years of American wrestling experience behind him, comes from a family of Olympic wrestlers and always seemed to be fighting up to 2 weight classes above his natural weight. Another disappointment unfortunately.

• Paid Members

As big as the GSP fight with Silva will be I think the far better match up would be Jon Jones against Anderson. I really think GSP is giving up way too much size.

I was watching last night's show with a friend and we're both going to UFC 128 so it was amazing to hear the announcement of Jones/Shogun. It's definitely made it

a more exciting trip for us.

Archived