UFC 126: Silva vs Belfort Discussion Thread

David

Ufc_126_poster.jpg

Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort (for middleweight title)

Forrest Griffin vs. Rich Franklin

Jake Ellenberger vs. Carlos Eduardo Rocha

Ryan Bader vs. Jon Jones

Antonio Banuelos vs. Miguel Torres

Paul Kelly vs. Donald Cerrone*

Chad Mendes vs. Michihiro Omigawa*

Gabe Ruediger vs. Paul Taylor*

Demetrious Johnson vs. Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto*

Kyle Kingsbury vs. Ricardo Romero*

Mike Pierce vs. Kenny Robertson*

* prelim fight

I'm seriously looking forward to this event.

Taking it from the ground up, we have the UFC debut of Kid Yamamoto, which I hope they televise at some point during the broadcast. He's been exciting to watch, even if he hasn't been as active as he could have been.

We also have Donald Cerrone in the prelims, which is another fight I really hope they show. A complete slugfest with Paul Kelly is what I'm imagining we'll get, with Kelly likely coming off 2nd best.

The main card is fucking awesome as well, with Torres & Jon Jones in action, along with an intriguing fight between Forrest & Rich Franklin. I'll be rooting for Forrest in that one.

As for the main event? It's got to be the phenom!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rooting on Belfort and Bader on this one. Again Franklin and Forrest is too close to call its a dream match could be Griffin Vs Bonner all over again. Franklins I feel has got better boxing than Forrest both are major fan favorites

• Paid Members

Some very nice trailers done by NickTheFace...

Silva/Belfort

Jones/Bader

Giffin/Franklin

Such an amazing card. Surely up there with the 'Greatest ever shows on paper'.

I don't see Belfort having much for Silva. Pulling for Forrest, but I think Rich will have his number. Hoping Jones continues to impress. I don't see Bader being able to drown him out at all. Torres, Cerrone and Yamamotto too!

Can't wait

• Paid Members

Is this the next event? The last one I saw was GSP v Koscheck, and can't remember if there have been one or two since then. I hope it is next though, it looks fantastic.

Is this the next event? The last one I saw was GSP v Koscheck, and can't remember if there have been one or two since then. I hope it is next though, it looks fantastic.

There's been one event since GSP v Koscheck, Tribute to the Troops is next weekend and then two weeks later it's 126.

This is a nicely stacked card. The main event is a really interesting fight and I actually think Vitor will win it, I think he'll catch Silva and knock him out in the first. I can't see past Franklin, I think he'll beat Griffin in the standing game and win a comfortable enough decision. I'll be cheering on Torres, Jones, Franklin and Silva. I'm not too bothered about Ellenberger vs. Rocha, i'd rather they had the Kelly vs. Cerrone fight on the main card instead, hopefully they fit it in.

Some very nice trailers done by NickTheFace...

Silva/Belfort

Jones/Bader

Giffin/Franklin

Such an amazing card. Surely up there with the 'Greatest ever shows on paper'.

I don't see Belfort having much for Silva. Pulling for Forrest, but I think Rich will have his number. Hoping Jones continues to impress. I don't see Bader being able to drown him out at all. Torres, Cerrone and Yamamotto too!

Can't wait

I've never seen any of these nicktheface video's before, but they are awesome. Bookmarked for future viewings of other fights too.

Definitely lookin forward to 126. I'm torn for the top 3 fights. I'm a fan of Belfort, Silva, Franklin, Griffin, Bader and Jones. So as Dana White says, it's the fans who win with this card

• Paid Members

On paper, to me at least, this is the most stacked card in UFC history. It's saying something when KID Yamamoto is so far down the card, 3rd prelim? That's how awesome this card is.

Every fight on the main card I am really looking forward to and I've said before the prelims alone would make for a great Fight Night card.

As far as I know there's no plans for Spike to show the prelims for this but hopefully they'll get Ion showing them like they did for 125. These prelims are too good for them not to show any of 'em.

I said in another thread, I hope they try and show 3 fights again like last time and show Cerrone vs Kelly, Mendes vs Omigawa and Yamamoto vs Johnson.

Hoping to see Paul Taylor vs Gabe Ruediger if they can squeeze it in at some point in the broadcast too. Really hope Taylor smashes him out of the UFC. Would be nice to see Taylor get a win too, especially after getting a raw deal IMO with the judges last time against Stout.

Im not giving Bader much of a chance, the Bones is fucking mental. Forrest is scared to get in the cage with Jones citing that 'hes a bad dude'.

Silva and Belfort is an interesting one for me as Im noet as mad at Silva as a lot of other people seem to be. I love Vitor and I hope he wins though I have serious doubts that God himself could beat Anderson Silva inside a cage.

• Paid Members
Im not giving Bader much of a chance, the Bones is fucking mental. Forrest is scared to get in the cage with Jones citing that 'hes a bad dude'.

Silva and Belfort is an interesting one for me as Im noet as mad at Silva as a lot of other people seem to be. I love Vitor and I hope he wins though I have serious doubts that God himself could beat Anderson Silva inside a cage.

I honestly think Jones will walk through Bader. Bader's good but I think he's a little overrated to be honest. I don't see what he brings to this fight that will trouble Bones. He's a good wrestler but so are Hamill, Matyushenko and Jake O'Brien. Didn't get them very far. Bader's got heavy hands but that don't mean shit if he doesn't land 'em and to land on Jones he's gotta get past an 84 plus inch reach. Not impossible but I don't think Bader's boxing is that good, he hits hard though. Bader also has a habit of gassing himself out by 'going Carwin' early on.

I'm going with Jones by first or second round demolition.

On Silva/Belfort, I agree. If Belfort doesn't land a bomb in round 1 or 2 he'll most likely fade like he always does and Anderson will either pick him apart or tap him out.

I'd like to see Belfort try Sonnen's approach and take Silva down. Obviously Vitor's not the wrestler Chael is but he has underrated takedowns IMO (he took down prime Chuck Liddell a few times despite Chuck's legendary sprawl) and Silva's takedown defence isn't his strength.

I think Vitor will start well but Anderson will finish him in round 2 or 3.

I'm looking forward to the Mighty Mouse v Kid fight more than most of the main card. Hope Johnson knocks him out bad, Yamamoto is one of those scumbag hateful little cunts like Aoki.

:laugh: I like both of them but I see your point. Especially on Aoki. Really wanna see that fight though. I actually think Mighty Mouse will take a decision win, think he will be too fast for KID.

My breakdown of the top 3 fights

Silva vs Belfort - If this was straight boxing I may favor Belfort make no mistake, if Sonnen as much as he has improved can rock Silva, Belfort can knock him out in fact id give a small window for this to happen in this fight, that window being the first round and a half or so

Unfortunatly for Belfort, Silva has a lot more diversity standing with kicks and his clinch and maybe more technique if lacking the power Belfort has, the ground will not come into play unless Belfort suprisingly trys to mimic what Sonnen did which I doubt he will, Belfort was outwrestled by Henderson and Couture handily despite training with Russian nationals beforehand

This comes down to Belforts mental state, its rare when he doesnt get the early KO he doesnt get frustrated and falls to pieces in there, so barring a Belfort bomb landing early I think Silva wins a clear cut points win or maybe a late stoppage

Franklin vs Griffin - Tough fight to call, Griffin is bigger and stronger and has those lethal leg kicks but Franklin is no slouch standing himself, both have been known to be chinny and suprisingly since he is the smaller man I think Franklin has more KO power, that said I think this will be very close and a split points win for Forrest is what I am going for

Jones vs Bader - I am on the Jon Jones warwagon, I think he is better than Bader everywhere, I have never been a Bader fan and dont like the camp he comes from which includes CB Dollaway, I think he is very overated his last fight beating a over the hill Lil Nog did nothing to prove otherwise.

Whilst this is all set up for a upset like Pulver vs Penn 1 or Efrain vs Nover I cant see past Jones outstriking, outwrestling and destroying Bader inside the first round

Archived