UFC 126: Silva vs Belfort Discussion Thread

David

have they confirmed Spike prelims for this card?

Nope. Alot of journo's saying they won't have them - which is idiotic considering the ratings those fights could bring them considering every single one of those fighters will come out swinging.

Thankfully that has been found out to be wrong!

We're getting prelims!...just not the one everyone wanted to see:

While recent UFC preliminary-card specials have been slotted for ION Television, Facebook and UFC.com, Spike TV is still in the mix.

Sources close to the organizations today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) Spike TV's popular "UFC Prelims" specials will return in 2011, and the first will air next month as part of UFC 126.

The Feb. 5 broadcast is expected to feature lightweights Donald Cerrone (13-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC) vs. Paul Kelly (11-3 MMA, 5-3 UFC) and featherweights Chad Mendes (9-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) vs. Michihiro Omigawa (12-8-1 MMA, 0-2 UFC).

UFC 126 takes place at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas on Super Bowl weekend. The night's main card airs on pay-per-view.

Despite the planned broadcast, a source told MMAjunkie.com the UFC and Spike TV haven't finalized a contract renewal, which is needed for 2012 and beyond. However, the "UFC Prelims" specials are expected to go on as planned for 2011.

UFC 126 marks the UFC debuts of former WEC fighters Cerrone and Mendes. Omigawa, who recently competed for the WEC, returns to the UFC for the first time since a two-fight stint concluded in 2008.

The UFC first offered a PPV teaser broadcast for UFC 103 in 2009, when the UFC went head-to-head with a boxing PPV broadcast featuring Floyd Mayweather vs. Juan Manuel Marquez. The specials proved effective enough at generating last-minute PPV buys that officials from the UFC and the organization's longtime cable partner decided to make them a regular offering.

The specials consistently draw between 1.1 million and 1.7 million viewers per event on Spike TV. (By comparison, ION scored 829,000 viewers for UFC 125.)

The latest UFC 126 card now includes:

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)

Champ Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort (for middleweight title)

Forrest Griffin vs. Rich Franklin

Jake Ellenberger vs. Carlos Eduardo Rocha

Ryan Bader vs. Jon Jones

Antonio Banuelos vs. Miguel Torres

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)

Paul Kelly vs. Donald Cerrone

Chad Mendes vs. Michihiro Omigawa

PRELIMINARY CARD (Untelevised)

Gabe Ruediger vs. Paul Taylor

Demetrious Johnson vs. Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto

Kyle Kingsbury vs. Ricardo Romero

Mike Pierce vs. Kenny Robertson

Very disappointed we're not getting the Kid Yamamoto fight, would've rather they show that than the Mendes fight.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
have they confirmed Spike prelims for this card?

Nope. Alot of journo's saying they won't have them - which is idiotic considering the ratings those fights could bring them considering every single one of those fighters will come out swinging.

Thankfully that has been found out to be wrong!

We're getting prelims!...just not the one everyone wanted to see:

While recent UFC preliminary-card specials have been slotted for ION Television, Facebook and UFC.com, Spike TV is still in the mix.

Sources close to the organizations today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) Spike TV's popular "UFC Prelims" specials will return in 2011, and the first will air next month as part of UFC 126.

The Feb. 5 broadcast is expected to feature lightweights Donald Cerrone (13-3 MMA, 0-0 UFC) vs. Paul Kelly (11-3 MMA, 5-3 UFC) and featherweights Chad Mendes (9-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) vs. Michihiro Omigawa (12-8-1 MMA, 0-2 UFC).

UFC 126 takes place at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas on Super Bowl weekend. The night's main card airs on pay-per-view.

Despite the planned broadcast, a source told MMAjunkie.com the UFC and Spike TV haven't finalized a contract renewal, which is needed for 2012 and beyond. However, the "UFC Prelims" specials are expected to go on as planned for 2011.

UFC 126 marks the UFC debuts of former WEC fighters Cerrone and Mendes. Omigawa, who recently competed for the WEC, returns to the UFC for the first time since a two-fight stint concluded in 2008.

The UFC first offered a PPV teaser broadcast for UFC 103 in 2009, when the UFC went head-to-head with a boxing PPV broadcast featuring Floyd Mayweather vs. Juan Manuel Marquez. The specials proved effective enough at generating last-minute PPV buys that officials from the UFC and the organization's longtime cable partner decided to make them a regular offering.

The specials consistently draw between 1.1 million and 1.7 million viewers per event on Spike TV. (By comparison, ION scored 829,000 viewers for UFC 125.)

The latest UFC 126 card now includes:

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)

Champ Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort (for middleweight title)

Forrest Griffin vs. Rich Franklin

Jake Ellenberger vs. Carlos Eduardo Rocha

Ryan Bader vs. Jon Jones

Antonio Banuelos vs. Miguel Torres

PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)

Paul Kelly vs. Donald Cerrone

Chad Mendes vs. Michihiro Omigawa

PRELIMINARY CARD (Untelevised)

Gabe Ruediger vs. Paul Taylor

Demetrious Johnson vs. Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto

Kyle Kingsbury vs. Ricardo Romero

Mike Pierce vs. Kenny Robertson

Very disappointed we're not getting the Kid Yamamoto fight, would've rather they show that than the Mendes fight.

If Kid gets a quick finish, or if one of the main card fights finishes quickly, Kid's fight will get broadcast. Dana apparently loves the guy.

Really looking forward to this, Silva vs Belfort and Jones vs Bader both have the potential to be 1st round KO/TKOs. I can't see past Griffin vs Franklin being a 3 round war for some reason. I'm mystified as to how Carlos Eduardo Rocha got a main card spot, he debuted on the prelims of 122 (which was like a Fight Night card anyway). Miguel Torres is an exciting fighter, but I don't know why he always gets matched up against such short fighters, he constantly has a definitive reach advantage and it just looks like a total mismatch. He ran through Charlie Valencia, and I believe a lot of that was due to the size difference.

• Paid Members

it is weird how the UFC aren't showing the KID fight, i guess it's due to someone at Zuffa having a total hard-on for any of the Team Alpha-Male guys. I know Mendes is an up and comer and he's winning his fights but he's definately not the most exciting 135'er in the world. Omigawa has re-invented himself in Japan the past couple of years though so that helps. Either way, Japan are getting one of their stars shown. I just can't see Johnson/KID being anything other than awesome though.

Cerrone/Kelly could be a fucking war, two tough guys who in a kind of macho way, that's gonna be some exciting shit.

it is weird how the UFC aren't showing the KID fight, i guess it's due to someone at Zuffa having a total hard-on for any of the Team Alpha-Male guys. I know Mendes is an up and comer and he's winning his fights but he's definately not the most exciting 135'er in the world. Omigawa has re-invented himself in Japan the past couple of years though so that helps. Either way, Japan are getting one of their stars shown. I just can't see Johnson/KID being anything other than awesome though.

As you said Mendes is probably the most boring 135lb'er on the roster. If you have never seen him before he is just a lighter version of a Jon Fitch, or a pre-Edgar II Gray Maynard, winning unexciting decision after decision due to his wrestling (which is how I thing this fight will go also). I can't see how this will be a better fight than Johnson/Kid (guess it pays to be one of Urijah's boys), but at least we are getting the Cowboy's debut.

• Paid Members

I've only seen a highlight clip of 'Kid'. Dude seems batshit crazy. Excitement by the bucketload it seems. I don't see Silva needing 5 rounds to put Belfort away. So hopefully we'll get it.

These prelims are popping up regularly now. Hopefully they'll come as standard for all PPV's soon.

This year is going to be so good :)

• Paid Members

Cerrone/Kelly could be a fucking war, two tough guys who in a kind of macho way, that's gonna be some exciting shit.

Yeah, I'm hoping Omigawa will drag something watchable out of Mendes. Chuffed we're getting some prelims, Cerrone vs Kelly will be great fun no doubt.

I'm sure we'll get the KID fight one way or another and if not it will be easy enough to find on the net the day after. It is an odd choice though not showing KID's UFC debut, especially when it's a fight that could steal the show.

Usually the FOTN's are quite obvious to pick going in but this time I can easily see a few extra bonus checks being handed out like at 116. KID/Johnson, Torres/Banuelos, Griffin/Franklin and Cerrone/Tellys are my favourites for FOTN. Can't narrow it down to one from them four.

• Paid Members

Jon Jones was in a car accident but luckily he's okay. The fight with Bader won't be affected either

"I just got into a car accident, police said it wasn't my fault.. I walked away without a scratch, GOD IS GOOD.... Hopefully, I get blessed with one of the fight bonuses, my insurance hasn't kicked in yet and I may have just taken a major loss

Archived