The 2010 PS50

Happ Hazzard

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I was in WH Smith at the train station the other day, looking for something to kill the time during the two hour train journey I was about to take. I noticed that Power Slam had the PS 50 in it, so picked it up to see if it looked worth a read. Noticed Davey Richards was at number two, remembered why I stopped buying Power Slam years ago and promptly dumped it back on the shelf. I did laugh at 'Seth Rollins - WWE' though.

It's a ridiculously smarky list, but for regular readers of the magazine it can't have been too much of a shock.

you can't compare the two lists.

Well I have so there.

Even outside of Keyfabe the PS50 is a joke for example Shane McMahon who only had a few matchs at the time made the list so lets no pretend that the PS50 is credible in anyway.

Honest question other then deaths and people being hired by the big guns in America has Mexico ever been covered in PS?

• Paid Members
Honest question other then deaths and people being hired by the big guns in America has Mexico ever been covered in PS?

I've been reading it since 1998, and in that timeframe, no.

The PWI 500 has long been a source of humour. Lawrence Taylor got in the 1995 one, based on his one match.

I've been reading it since 1998, and in that timeframe, no.

The PWI 500 has long been a source of humour. Lawrence Taylor got in the 1995 one, based on his one match.

Does PWI ever cover Mexican wrestling? I haven't looked at one for a good 4 years, so can't remember.

The PWI 500 is more credible then that list.

But thats a kayfabe magazine, you can't compare the two lists.

Why not? The PWI500 seems a hell of a lot more valid, despite being kayfabed.

It just doesn't seem right to me comparing the Powerslam list and the PWI, becuase one would have the list dominated by "talented" Japanese and Indie guys, and the other would feature who ever the top and most famous promotions present at the big stars like Hulk Hogan, John Cena, Triple H etc.

It just doesn't seem right to me comparing the Powerslam list and the PWI, becuase one would have the list dominated by "talented" Japanese and Indie guys, and the other would feature who ever the top and most famous promotions present at the big stars like Hulk Hogan, John Cena, Triple H etc.

Dean Malenko was number one in the 1997 PWI 500; he hardly fits your criteria of whom PWI features highly/towards the top in their list.

• Paid Members

Yeah true. PWI have set criteria for their choices and detail this in their publication (although there are always still discrepancies) however the PS list is literally a list of the guys that Finn and his pals wank over the hardest.

Though PWI do take ability quite strongly into account also, though. They don't ignore the international markets and Mistico has made the top 10 over the past few years, along with a token Japanese star. And who can forget the year Dean Malenko topped the list??

• Paid Members
Dean Malenko was number one in the 1997 PWI 500; he hardly fits your criteria of whom PWI features highly/towards the top in their list.

There was a good bit of blurb at the start of the article that year saying that no one had especially "dominated" their company, no one stood out as "he had the best year of anyone," so they made the decision to go with who had the year of the best matches (which is pretty much how Fin and the boys select their 50) although it wasn't 100% if they based the whole 500 on that criteria or just their choice of Malenko for top spot.

Bit of an odd one, I thought Benoit for one had stronger matches in that particular 12 month stretch, as well as a handful of the All Japan boys.

I was in WH Smith at the train station the other day, looking for something to kill the time during the two hour train journey I was about to take. I noticed that Power Slam had the PS 50 in it, so picked it up to see if it looked worth a read. Noticed Davey Richards was at number two, remembered why I stopped buying Power Slam years ago and promptly dumped it back on the shelf. I did laugh at 'Seth Rollins - WWE' though.

It's a ridiculously smarky list, but for regular readers of the magazine it can't have been too much of a shock.

Why doesn't Davey deserve to be at #2? Watch his match from this weekends iPPV and tell me he is not a great worker. Makes me laugh, PS puts in good workers rather than flooding the list with WWE and it gets called smarky

EZ

It's astounding that a guy who's been in the business about five years makes the number two slot. A guy with no relevant TV or PPV experience, a guy with no notable promos... based purely on workrate then is it? So, er, where's Cena then coz no fucker works harder than that cunt!

I think they've overdone themselves with this years lists.

Archived