The 2010 PS50

Happ Hazzard

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't see this thread before I made my Power Slam thread so here's my post from in there....

I've been reading it since July 1998 but I'm seriously considering stopping once my current sub expires. The arrogance of Fin Martin is absolutely appalling now. His writing style is now just one of "my opinion is fact and if you disagree, you're clearly an idiot". It always was a bit that way but lately (and in this month's issue in particular), the man's ego is out of control. The way he scorns everything leads me to believe that he isn't a wrestling fan any more, he just likes griping about the product. He's got a new column where he comes up with shit booking ideas and convinces himself that they're fucking gold and the answer to said promotion's woes (woes he often imagines at that). He seems to think his little magazine is the answer to every "problem" in wrestling.

I'd like to see TNA/WWE give this arsehole booking power just for a week to watch him fall flat on his arse and shut the fuck up.

Why doesn't Fin Martin step upstairs and just publish the mag and leave the editor role to someone who actually likes current mainstream wrestling?

At a guess, because PS's sales do not justify paying a full-time salary to an additional full-time member of staff, let alone an editor.

I mean, PS has needed a photo editor for ages, even before the content went south.

• Paid Members
Why doesn't Fin Martin step upstairs and just publish the mag and leave the editor role to someone who actually likes current mainstream wrestling?

Because then the stupid 4 year olds who've been brainwashed into thinking Cena can wrestle would win. All the morons buying the magazine to read about wrestlers they've heard of need to be educated about Davey Richards, and why him deciding not to go through with his 50th retirement tease this year is the greatest thing to happen to our sport.

• Paid Members
I've been reading it since July 1998 but I'm seriously considering stopping once my current sub expires.

I applaud you mate, because for every one of you that actually thinks "this is rubbish, I'm going to stop reading it," I really feel there are ten others who will carry on reading it, purely to come on here and bitch about it.

Because then the stupid 4 year olds who've been brainwashed into thinking Cena can wrestle would win. All the morons buying the magazine to read about wrestlers they've heard of need to be educated about Davey Richards, and why him deciding not to go through with his 50th retirement tease this year is the greatest thing to happen to our sport.

Finners really has a stalk on for Dynamite Junior doesn't he? Not sure why, the little tosser only stayed in wrestling because his missus shat all over him and kicked him to the curb.

I've been reading it since July 1998 but I'm seriously considering stopping once my current sub expires.

I applaud you mate, because for every one of you that actually thinks "this is rubbish, I'm going to stop reading it," I really feel there are ten others who will carry on reading it, purely to come on here and bitch about it.

I just really can't put myself through it anymore mate and hate the thought of putting money in Fin Martin's grubby little pockets.

I made a comparison earlier in the thread that it must be a similar situation to the way there are people on here who watch WWE just to come on here and bitch about it not being like ROH/the attitude era. That's what's troubling me about continuing to buy the magazine, it continues to get more and more unrelatable to me to the point that it seems like there's little value left in it to me other than it's something to whinge about. But I have a hard time breaking habits. Plus...

It leaves the question of who Power Slam is for nowadays. It's not just aimed at tugtugs. There's a WWE star on the cover every month. The content of the magazine is a "WWE is shit, so's TNA" campaign. If people actually listened to Fin and stopped following WWE, then they're not likely to buy a magazine with Randy Orton or The Miz on it. If people stop watching wrestling because they've been convinced it's rubbish, there's a good chance they'll stop buying wrestling magazines. It's like Findlay's actively trying to alienate and kill off his own audience. The survival of the magazine, then, is probably dependent on the people buying it rejecting the opinions expressed within. It's a very odd beast.

I made a comparison earlier in the thread that it must be a similar situation to the way there are people on here who watch WWE just to come on here and bitch about it not being like ROH/the attitude era. That's what's troubling me about continuing to buy the magazine, it continues to get more and more unrelatable to me to the point that it seems like there's little value left in it to me other than it's something to whinge about. But I have a hard time breaking habits. Plus...

It leaves the question of who Power Slam is for nowadays. It's not just aimed at tugtugs. There's a WWE star on the cover every month. The content of the magazine is a "WWE is shit, so's TNA" campaign. If people actually listened to Fin and stopped following WWE, then they're not likely to buy a magazine with Randy Orton or The Miz on it. If people stop watching wrestling because they've been convinced it's rubbish, there's a good chance they'll stop buying wrestling magazines. It's like Findlay's actively trying to alienate and kill off his own audience. The survival of the magazine, then, is probably dependent on the people buying it rejecting the opinions expressed within. It's a very odd beast.

Like someone said (Cleetus I think), it's all a ploy. Fin Martin lures the casual fan in with WWE photos and then proceeds to blast them about the cranium with how shit everything they like really is and how Davey Richards is the greatest alive. WORKRATEZ!!!!111one!!

Here is 1995's list.

46. The Sandman

47. The Head Hunter(s)

48. Diesel

49. Shane Douglas

50. La Parka

So yeah, in 1995 it seems that a large portion of their "best 50 in the world" were in WcW, EcW or Puro.

If Sandman can make a ps top 50 i dont see why cena cant. I sometimes wonder if Cena stole a girl from Fin Martin or something his grudge against him is really sad almost child like

Archived