The 2010 PS50

Happ Hazzard

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
Why doesn't Davey deserve to be at #2? Watch his match from this weekends iPPV and tell me he is not a great worker. Makes me laugh, PS puts in good workers rather than flooding the list with WWE and it gets called smarky

EZ

What's great about starting to kill off a crowd during your match because you've done far, far, far too many false finishes, like he did on Saturday? (and to think people criticised Taker vs Michaels 2010 for killing finishes, well Last Battle's Strong vs Richards pissed all over it for that). Or what's great about having a match like leaving Smackdown vs Raw to play on it's own in demo mode?

Maybe Richards should have been in there somewhere, but for him to be number two, while John Cena was not in there AT ALL, makes it a fucking stupid list and shows it as just a little Fin Martin vanity project worth fuck all if he won't be objective.

Austin and Rock made several PS50s. Austin topped the 1998 & 2001 lists. Rock's highest places were at #4 in 1999 & #3 in 2000. Hogan's only time in the list was at #49 in 1994.

Here is every list from 1994-2006

http://indeedwrestling.blogspot.com/2006/1...lam-top-50.html

From the look of things, then the list has always been pretty shit. I bet 80% or so of the readers don't even know who half of them Japanese guys are, they should just do an American 25 list.

Austin and Rock made several PS50s. Austin topped the 1998 & 2001 lists. Rock's highest places were at #4 in 1999 & #3 in 2000. Hogan's only time in the list was at #49 in 1994.

Here is every list from 1994-2006

http://indeedwrestling.blogspot.com/2006/1...lam-top-50.html

From the look of things, then the list has always been pretty shit. I bet 80% or so of the readers don't even know who half of them Japanese guys are, they should just do an American 25 list.

That's rediculious. I agree that many, probably even most of the readers won't be familiar with all the names, but it's a list of the best wrestlers in the World, at least from one person's opinion - why stifle that? You might even get people checking out a match of somebody that they've never heard of, and it ends up broadening their horizons. And it's not like the magazine is choc-full of interviews with KENTA and articles like "a day in the life of Jeremy Buck" - there's mostly coverage on WWE and TNA.

That's rediculious. I agree that many, probably even most of the readers won't be familiar with all the names, but it's a list of the best wrestlers in the World, at least from one person's opinion - why stifle that? You might even get people checking out a match of somebody that they've never heard of, and it ends up broadening their horizons.

I think that'd be more likely if the list had one or two people they've never heard of. When it's just full of people they've never heard of with the occasional decent name thrown in, it's more likely to just make people write off the list, I reckon.

And it's not like the magazine is choc-full of interviews with KENTA and articles like "a day in the life of Jeremy Buck" - there's mostly coverage on WWE and TNA.

Mostly coverage on how shit (Fin thinks) WWE and TNA are. The magazine really doesn't seem to know or care who it's aimed at anymore. It seems like the target audience is a wrestling fan who wanks themselves silly over Japanese wrestling and ROH, but spends far more of their time watching and hating WWE and TNA. And that's before even trying to figure out who Fin's sub-tabloid shitpuns (J-List Otunga! NPSTF! Lolz) and mongy conspiracy theories ("they're trying to erase our memories of CM Punk's ROH commentary!") are meant to entertain. I don't know whether there's a reasonably massive number of us who have stuck with it out of habit so Fin's decided to just do as he likes, or whether Fighting Spirit has started outselling him so he's gone full fapster to try and compete. "Want newzsite-level stupidity but in printed form? Sick of other UK wrestling magazines who supply this not bothering to proofread? Try Power Slam!"

That's rediculious. I agree that many, probably even most of the readers won't be familiar with all the names, but it's a list of the best wrestlers in the World, at least from one person's opinion - why stifle that? You might even get people checking out a match of somebody that they've never heard of, and it ends up broadening their horizons.

I think that'd be more likely if the list had one or two people they've never heard of. When it's just full of people they've never heard of with the occasional decent name thrown in, it's more likely to just make people write off the list, I reckon.

And it's not like the magazine is choc-full of interviews with KENTA and articles like "a day in the life of Jeremy Buck" - there's mostly coverage on WWE and TNA.

Mostly coverage on how shit (Fin thinks) WWE and TNA are. The magazine really doesn't seem to know or care who it's aimed at anymore. It seems like the target audience is a wrestling fan who wanks themselves silly over Japanese wrestling and ROH, but spends far more of their time watching and hating WWE and TNA. And that's before even trying to figure out who Fin's sub-tabloid shitpuns (J-List Otunga! NPSTF! Lolz) and mongy conspiracy theories ("they're trying to erase our memories of CM Punk's ROH commentary!") are meant to entertain. I don't know whether there's a reasonably massive number of us who have stuck with it out of habit so Fin's decided to just do as he likes, or whether Fighting Spirit has started outselling him so he's gone full fapster to try and compete. "Want newzsite-level stupidity but in printed form? Sick of other UK wrestling magazines who supply this not bothering to proofread? Try Power Slam!"

I agree 100%. Both Fin Martin and his PS50 would be much more credible and less hypocritical if the monthly content of his magazine was congruent with his list i.e. he heavily covered Indy and Japanese promotions, and mentioned WWE and TNA in brief passing with the odd show recap here and there. As it stands though, the list basically says, 'we fill our pages writing and reporting about wrestlers who are sub-standard and who can't even lace the boots of these people who we don't dedicate any pages to at all'. And yet we are supposed to respect the logic of the person who wrote the list...

Imagine this in a publication covering any other sport or genre of entertainment. I'm a huge football fan, and occassionally buy World Soccer magazine. This month, the magazine heavily covers how great Barcelona are as a team, with numerous articles alluding to this. Lo and behold, in their annual world player of the year awards, Xavi came out top, with Messi second, as voted by readers. Guess who they play for...Barcelona. I.e. congruence in their opinions and coverage. World Soccer would look as stupid as Powerslam if they spent all their time covering English non-league teams and denouncing Barcelona as being crap, and then went and proclaimed on their cover that Xavi is the world player of the year.

What this highlights is the sad fact that there are actually a sub-group of wrestling fans out there (and maybe people in general) who would rather be negative about something, than enjoy themselves being positive about something else. I'm thankful that I don't belong in that category. I have zero interest in ROH or any other indy promotions and think that the wrestling is largely devoid of realism or meaning. Fin Martin thought The MCMG vs Young Bucks opener at BFG was 'superlative', whereas I thought it was glorified gymnastics. Yet I spend no time dwelling on this point or spending time trying to convince others of it. I just don't watch it, and instead watch what interests me and what I enjoy within the wrestling genre.

The way I see it, Fin Martin needs to either stay true to himself and cover what he likes within wrestling (and watch his magazine sales go down the toilet), or put his values to one side and do a professional job and cover mainstream wrestling (in an objective, yet balanced manner), and pay his bills.

The irony of all this is, for all the energy that Fin Martin expends accusing WWE of being a vanity product for Vince McMahon, Powerslam actually comes across as being the exact same thing for him!

I'm just shocked Prince Devitt wasn't #1 since Fin clearly wants to gargle with his semen.

It's sad how pathetic and whiny the magazine has become. They've managed to keep the quality so high for so long that it's a real shame to see it descend into bitter nit-picking and bad attempts at humour which assume the reader is complicit in Fin's hatred of all things John Cena.

• Paid Members

I dont mean to argue for arguing's sake, but look at this way....

To take the football analogy on, lets say I buy Match or Shoot. On the cover, there is Wayne Rooney for example. In the middle there are mostly articles covering the Premier League, which for an English football fan is "the mainstram" if you like. As part of the articles they may mention there is better football being played in Spain, or that Arsenal aren't the team Barca are, or whatever, purely examples. But still, month in month out, the cover and coverage mostly concerns the Premier League. When the mag does a "Best players in football" countdown, who do I expect to see? Yeah, the aforementioned Messi, Xavi etc.

PS sticks WWE guys on the cover, every issue since (IIRC) Angle the month he signed for TNA. So the bulk of the coverage in the magazine is a spread of for arguments sake 50% WWE, 40% TNA and 10% other. Because relatively speaking, there are far more buyers who want to read the coverage of the "big 2" - IRRESPECTIVE at this point of the editorial content, i.e. what they think of the product. They are going to give news/views on the big 2, that's what they see as the market. At the moment, they make no bones about the fact that the big 2 should be doing better. So, when time comes to rank who they think are the top performers in the sport, they choose to go with the men that they think have had the best matches, and an awful lot of those men happen to work for other companies. Would it not be more hypocritical to spend 12 months slagging WWE off, then have a top ten or Cena, Orton, Misterio, Sheamus, Edge, Kane, Rey, Miz, JoMo and Barratt?

In terms of coverage of the big 2 itself within PS in general, in 1998 the mag was chock full of praise for everything the big 3 as was were doing right, and in 2000 further still they were talking about what a good job the WWF was doing (the phrase "can do no wrong on pay per view" I think was used in conjunction with the Judgement Day write up). Fast forward, and the writing is heavily laced with how the company isnt doing as well commercially and isnt a patch on what it used to be - well, isn't that true? And as for TNA, and talking about how a lot of it doesnt make sense or isnt done properly - highly subjective, but I can see where they are coming from, and my wrestling fan mates do too. In fact a lot of them - some WWE loyalists, some indy fapper types - cant watch it at all.

End of the day, buying an independent wrestling mag subjects you to the opinions of the writers. When they thought the product was good, they said so. Currently they think its a bit shit. So they say so. If we didnt want to read their opinions, we wouldnt buy it. We'd just make our own damn minds up. I've been watching WWF/E for nearly 20 years, and I think its currently a bit shit too.

The great irony here is that a lot of you seem to say "if Fin hates WWE he should stop watching it." From the amount of energy spent on here slagging off PS, might be worth pointing out "if you hate PS so much, stop reading it."

Did Fin Martin used to slag of WWE this much around 1995 when it was in the depression, in favour of WCW and ECW? See I wouldn't mind as much if Fin was slagging of WWE in a serious and un-childish way, and if product that he currently supports (ROH) was actualy any good it's self.

• Paid Members

Here is 1995's list.

1. Mitsuharu Misawa

2. Chris Benoit

3. Shawn Michaels

4. Eddie Guerrero

5. Toshiaki Kawada

6. Bret Hart

7. Sabu

8. Kenta Kobashi

9. Keiji Muto

10. Ken Shamrock

11. Jushin Liger

12. Koji Kanemoto

13. Too Cold Scorpio

14. Dean Malenko

15. Ginsei Shinzaki

16. Nobuhiko Takada

17. Rey Mysterio Jr.

18. Akira Taue

19. Marty Jannetty

20. Mick Foley

21. Johnny Ace

22. Vader

23. Sean Waltman

24. Mikey Whipwreck

25. Alex Wright

26. Davey Boy Smith

27. Psicosis

28. Brian Pillman

29. Owen Hart

30. Rocko Rock

31. Al Snow

32. The Great Sasuke

33. Raven

34. Terry Funk

35. Hunter Hearst Helmsly

36. Ultimo Dragon

37. Razor Ramon

38. Johnny B. Badd

39. Arn Anderson

40. Steve Austin

41. Ric Flair

42. Skip

43. Bam Bam Bigelow

44. Hayabusa

45. Scott Steiner

46. The Sandman

47. The Head Hunter(s)

48. Diesel

49. Shane Douglas

50. La Parka

So yeah, in 1995 it seems that a large portion of their "best 50 in the world" were in WcW, EcW or Puro.

I agree with everything Air_Raid has just said.

I haven't bought Powerslam for nearly a decade, as I get all my news/views online, but when I did buy it, they pretty much pointed out that shit things were, well, shit.

During WWF's crappy years they often ripped them for the silly gimmicks and poor workers, but then likewise they praised them when business picked up because they were putting out a better product.

Like Air_raid I've been watching for about 20 years now and the product IS pretty shit right now. By expanding throughout the entire World and having eradicated their competition, WWE is indeed making shit loads of money, but the actual TV and PPV product is as bad as it's ever been in the 20 years I've been watching.

I don't understand why anyone would pay to buy a magazine that they completely disagree with and makes them angry??

I certainly rag on WWE content, but I haven't paid a penny for any of it in years! Besides, it's never a complete waste of time, thanks to Alberto Del Rio and Daniel Bryan.

Archived