The 2010 PS50

Happ Hazzard

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wade Barrett is a fantastic character and a true revelation with his promos for such a new guy, but (assuming this is an in-ring talent list) what standout matches has he had? No having a pop at you, this is a genuine question. I remember him being pretty good but not amazing on NXT and really that's about it, other than that match where he did well to not drop Mizark Henry. He's been in a lot of multi-man matches and short, screwjob matches but I can't think of much else.

I agree about Morrison, his wrestling is a lot of fun to watch, even if his character is that of a smiley douchebag with shit fashion sense.

I thought Barrett vs. Cena (HIAC) and Barrett vs. Orton (Survivor Series) were pretty damn good, truth be told. Especially the former; Barrett was such a dick during it, especially knowing full well he had Harris and McGillicutty as backup elsewhere. I thought his match with Orton at Bragging Rights was alright too, albeit a little stunted.

I honestly can't remember anything about the HIAC match with Cena, but the Survivor Series match was simply a backdrop for the "Fire Cena" storyline. At one point I remember the fans chanting 'gets go Cena' literally as Orton was setting up for one of his biggest moves (the rope-assisted DDT), that's how little the fans were actually into the wrestling aspect of the match.

Don't get me wrong, like I said as a character i think Barrett is really great, but one of the best in-ring wrestlers in the world? Probably not.

I'm also on the Cena bandwagon here, something PS routinely seems to miss is that Cena is WWE's true big fucking deal, and creates this in spite of some booking that often leaves him hamstrung. I feel like Cena vs The Nexus has been a bit backward and for the most part, a wasted opportunity to elevate the N squad. But despite that, it's made entertaining television mostly down to that magnetic quality Cena has as the unshakeable king of goodies.

It gets used a lot on here, but it's always true - bashing the guy for the reasons Fin Martin uses is all very 2006.

Meanwhile, a top 50 video games of all time list still puts Super Mario Bros. at #1 and everyone is not surprised at the obvious "it's on the list to make us look intelligent and wise" element to it.

In other words, I just skimmed that list and then forgot about it. Nobody gives a shit what one columnist thinks in the long run.

It gets used a lot on here, but it's always true - bashing the guy for the reasons Fin Martin uses is all very 2006.

As a former Cena hater this is pretty much spot on.

Fin Martin's digs at Cena used to be funny but now he (Fin) just comes across as a smarky little cunt with an Ax to grind.

Genuine question...

Is the PS 50 supposed to be a representation of the biggest Stars in wrestling (the most over and profitable for their company/themselves) or of the most talented in-ring performers?

I haven't bought the rag for about 10 years but (from what people on here have said) it seems to be about the best actual in-ring wrestlers. If that is the case, then it's perfectly valid for someone (who is just expressing an opinion) to agree with PS that Cena matches bore/annoy them, so he should never be number one. If it is about the biggest 'Superstars' then, clearly Cena is Number One, whether you personally rate him or not!

I thought Barrett vs. Cena (HIAC) and Barrett vs. Orton (Survivor Series) were pretty damn good, truth be told.

I thought that the Barrett/Cena match was pretty good, but I'm not so sure on the Orton matches. Both of their matches bored me quite a bit. I've found that to be a problem in most Orton matches, apart from against Swagger and then against Sheamus at Summerslam.

El Generico higher than Steen?

Kevin Steen has been brilliant. He even had a brilliant match with Tyler Black who is someone else who bores me a bit. Not even the apparently great match with Davey Richards was that good.

Oh, and as for Sheamus being in the list, my bad. He should still be high though.

Regal being anywhere near a list of the top 50 wrestlers of the last twelve months would be absurd, he's done fuck all this year. But, all things considered, it'd be no more absurd than Skinny McFlipper and Mathold O'Headdrop being in it for their leisure centre play about Japanese wrestling. And they're in Fin's list about eight times each.

Barrett has only had one good singles match I can remember, the one where he beat Cena. Orton's had a bit of a shit year as well, I don't see how he'd place above so many other WWE wrestlers unless the list is being based on popularity/aura. Which it clearly isn't, as a shitty Benoit rip-off who wrestles in front of dozens more often than thousands is at number two.

Genuine question...

Is the PS 50 supposed to be a representation of the biggest Stars in wrestling (the most over and profitable for their company/themselves) or of the most talented in-ring performers?

I think it's a really specific form of the latter -- the most talented in-ring performers based on the criteria of asterisk-fetishists.

I appreciate that people are interested in different things, and cena may have some qualities that you actually like. But to say wrestling is one of them is retarded. That is one thing he clearly cannot do very well. He is looked after booking wise. He is told what to do and runs through the motions very badly.

For some reason I think if you put a nobody in the ring he could not carry him without a scripted match.

Yes the kids like him, fine. Yes he makes a lot of money, fine. But he cannot wrestle. And saying he can to be cool is absurd. You bunch of trend following hipsters

• Paid Members

They say the rating are based on the wrestlers "in ring performances" so anyone who cares about "charisma" (by which I assume you probably mean ability to cut a promo) "name value" or "not wrestling in a high school gym" (yawn), no, this will not be the list for you.

Simply put, Fin and his lot have put together their list based on the simple opinions of what fifty wrestlers have been involved in the best/most exciting/most dramatic matches in the last twelve months. If they think for example they have seen more exciting Marufuji matches than Orton, they will rank him higher, irrespective of the relative positions in the pecking order, and the relative importance / perceived importance of the company each wrestles for.

Generation Me and Davey Richards get in but Chris Masters and Dolph Ziggler don't. Laughable.

I really don't know what to say to that. Having matched scores of exciting Richards matches this year both from the States and in Japan, and having watched Masters compete mostly in short-yet-also-dull, mostly meaningless matches in front of apathetic crowds, mostly with no suspension of disbelief as to the winner (Masters loses to the pushed act)....

Archived