The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

I find her A-Z videos are great for putting on in the background, they're not as information heavy as the documentaries but still really well done.

She completed the "wheel of Mega drive" last week, playing all 900-odd on stream (including Greendog). 

Some GBA recommendations as promised. It can be a pain in the arse to collect for given the high prices and even higher proportion of counterfeit games that flooded the market, but I'm sure there are other ways to play some of these...(if there are legal ways of playing them, I'll try to highlight them)

Go! Go! Beckham! - Adventure on Soccer Island

maxresdefault.jpg

It's David Beckham meets Yoshi's Island meets Yoku's Island Express. The first two of which I'm not much of a fan of, but in spite of that, the game is actually pretty damn good. As a result, it can be pretty expensive on eBay, although the odd loose cart appears every now and again for a much lower price. You explore the levels of Soccer Island carrying your football, which you also use to kill baddies. As far as licensed properties go, this is a really strong effort; but given that it's based around a person as opposed to a property, I think the chances of a port are incredibly low. Which is a shame, because it's a lot of fun. 

Astro Boy: Omega Factor

il_570xN.4268043575_p7e7.jpg

I actually bought this game for around £10, boxed from Gamestation. I thought I was doing well when I sold it for £20, but as it turns out boxed copies are now going for several hundred pounds online. That said, had I not sold it, I'd be tempted to keep it as it's just sensational. It's made by Treasure, which is a seal of quality in itself - and given their apparent focus on rereleasing their back catalogue right now, even though this is a licensed property, I hold out hope that it'll end up released on a modern console. It's an excellent beat-em-up - one of my all-time favourites - with a killer soundtrack to match. I can't even watch YouTube lets plays without feeling sad that I don't own this anymore. 

Final Fantasy VI

il_570xN.3905242396_a1lv.jpg

Hardly an obscure game, but I'm going to recommend it - and all of the GBA FF ports - because they are, in my opinion, the definitive versions. There's extra content that has not been ported over in subsequent versions - you can only play it here - including extra summons, dungeons and also a bestiary. The same is true for most of (perhaps all of) the other GBA ports. If you're in the mood to replay these games, or if you're looking to experience them for the first time, this is the way to do it. VI has aged particularly well. 

Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure

1.png

This is actually available for a relatively low price on eBay, which is good news, because it's a great game. It takes the PS1 Crash Bandicoot experience and translates it into a 2D form in a way that feels right; that feels like you could be playing a mainline Crash Bandicoot game. The soundtrack is also great, really capturing the 'feel' of the series. The final boss is one of my favourites of the entire series - without spoiling anything major, it consists of a chase that feels pretty thrilling - like you're running away from the monster in a monster movie, and when you succeed, it's air-punchingly satisfying. I've not played the other CB games on GBA, and I'd love to see them ported as part of a collection, if only to play this game again. 

Sabre Wulf

sabre-wulf-gba-151.png?w=810

I had to check to see if this had made it on to the Rare Replay collection, but sadly, it doesn't seem to have. It's by Rare, so it's possibly no surprise to hear that it feels like it could be a lost Donkey Kong Country game. The soundtrack is great, the platforming is fun and it's available online at an affordable price, if you're willing to buy it loose (and pay up to £40 for a loose cartridge) - while it's probably my least favourite of the games listed here, it's a Rare platform game that most people have long forgotten about. It's worth your time. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

https://www.gun4ir.com/pages/about-the-gun4ir®

A friend has been using the Gun4ir system to make his own light guns. He's signed up for a license which allows him to do make the circuitry required.

The results are quite impressive. With his assistance I'll have a couple of these myself soon. I'm planning on using them with a Raspberry Pi setup.

It was the guy in the Evening Telegraph here, he'd openly advertise in there but he was a machine at getting anything and everything including weird beta copies of games like WWF Attitude. The one I bought of him is a version I still haven't seen listed on those sites that archive such things..

Sean McNallys older brother for us. I remember the first time I played his copy of MGS it was in black and white because I wasn't running the PS through a scart cable. I didn't even realise it was wrong until I saw a mate playing his.

Syphon Filter for 50p. Halcyon days.