The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

Looks like a great day out. I was supposed to go to arcade club with my mate when he was over from Colombia the other week, but we just couldn't find the time. 

• Paid Members

Manchester, as its my local one. He's been to the Leeds one and said its not as good as Manchester. I'm surprised the one in Blackpool is only open Thursday to Sunday. It'd be pretty cool to check that out one weekend.

• Paid Members

There's one in Manchester, and another one called Pixl?

This looks like it could be good if it comes out:

• Paid Members
On 7/16/2022 at 1:05 PM, Merzbow said:

I finally went to NQ64 in Brum at like 2am and I wouldn't really recommend it, multiple machines had faults and I'm sure they're just left there without much maintenance at all. Fun if pissed up which I'm sure is the goal.

Yeah I wasn't a fan either, mainly because I'm an old fogey who thought the repetitive dance music was too damn loud, but I also wasn't a fan of the McCurrency gimmick. Not being able to just drop my own coins in a machine and play a game takes something away from the arcade experience. Maybe it's better during the day when it's quieter, who knows.

• Paid Members

Hold on. Do they actually make you pay to play the meagre selection of arcade machines? How does it work? do you have to buy tokens from the themed bar?

I remember a menu above the bar, that had game related cocktails on it. We were so disappointed with the place that we didn't actually play any of the games.

Arcade Club is a much better place.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, BigJag said:

Hold on. Do they actually make you pay to play the meagre selection of arcade machines? How does it work? do you have to buy tokens from the themed bar?

I remember a menu above the bar, that had game related cocktails on it. We were so disappointed with the place that we didn't actually play any of the games.

Yep, you had to buy their own currency in the form of these coins and those acted as your chips to play the machines. Much like yourself, I didn't play any games and just sat outside on the benches because the system is a half-baked scam. The board games place next door looked more fun, and I bet their customers didn't have to slap down cash for some monopoly money.

Edited by Accident Prone

• 2 weeks later...

Does it have to be a pi? Because that really limits you and there so many good portable retro emulation players out there.

The Retroid Pocket 2+ is always a good choice, but I'd look up the Anbernic handhelds too. The Miyoo Mini is excellent if you want something around £50 and don't need perfect PS1 emulation.