The MMA General News & Events Thread

David

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

the Bob Sapp situation is beyond a joke, i just cannot believe promoters keep booking him. His drawing power in middle eastern countries might still be there but you'd at least think promoters would want to pay for fighters that will at least try and fight. Sapp is basically throwing fights at this point.

I genuinely don't think Sapp goes in with the intention of quitting, he probably has the intention of winning the fight, but once he gets put into a bad position he taps out. In fairness he actually did reverse his position against Thompson and landed a fucking bear like hammerfist (surprised Thompson took it to be honest), but once Thompson got back on top Sapp tapped due to 'injury', it's a f'n insult to the sport.

For years i was a Sapp supporter, i loved the unpredictability of his performances, but it's gone beyond a joke. If the guy is able to make a living from these farces you can't really blame him, but surely promoters gotta stop stumping down the cash.

Rampage has been going off on one about UFC on his Twitter account...

The @ufc knew I was hurt,n almost everyfight I was hurt n,but instead of saying thanks 4 not pulling out,they talk shit about a poor job....

I'm still gonna fight tho,but 4 someone who appreciate me bro,so don't trip

I'm not complaining about money,cause I'm about 2 make a lot less money now,but at least the people I fight 4 will appreciate what I do4mma

the Bob Sapp situation is beyond a joke, i just cannot believe promoters keep booking him. His drawing power in middle eastern countries might still be there but you'd at least think promoters would want to pay for fighters that will at least try and fight. Sapp is basically throwing fights at this point.

I genuinely don't think Sapp goes in with the intention of quitting, he probably has the intention of winning the fight, but once he gets put into a bad position he taps out. In fairness he actually did reverse his position against Thompson and landed a fucking bear like hammerfist (surprised Thompson took it to be honest), but once Thompson got back on top Sapp tapped due to 'injury', it's a f'n insult to the sport.

For years i was a Sapp supporter, i loved the unpredictability of his performances, but it's gone beyond a joke. If the guy is able to make a living from these farces you can't really blame him, but surely promoters gotta stop stumping down the cash.

I read somewhere that he has admitted when he has a Kickboxing or MMA fight lined up straight away after a fight, he taps to avoid taking too much damage that prevents him from making another payday.

Sapp has not be relevant since 2005, maybe even earlier than that. He oversaturated himself in Japan and got exposed in MMA bouts where K1 could not bend the rules so he could win. I would say he was a special attraction opposed to a legit fighter after the Fujita fight where most felt he first got properly exposed.

Sadly, there will always be a new promotor wanting a name willing to pay big money for him, he is not Tim Slyvia or Cabbage he looks like a fighter and a big star. The local champion gets a easy night against a well known name and Bob gets his check, they are all happy aside from the crowd who feel short changed when he taps after 30 seconds.

• Paid Members

I read somewhere that he has admitted when he has a Kickboxing or MMA fight lined up straight away after a fight, he taps to avoid taking too much damage that prevents him from making another payday.

Sapp has not be relevant since 2005, maybe even earlier than that. He oversaturated himself in Japan and got exposed in MMA bouts where K1 could not bend the rules so he could win. I would say he was a special attraction opposed to a legit fighter after the Fujita fight where most felt he first got properly exposed.

Sadly, there will always be a new promotor wanting a name willing to pay big money for him, he is not Tim Slyvia or Cabbage he looks like a fighter and a big star. The local champion gets a easy night against a well known name and Bob gets his check, they are all happy aside from the crowd who feel short changed when he taps after 30 seconds.

yeh, agree with this.

the problem is though that most people are in the con now, if this was 1950 and Sapp was rolling around carnival towns fighting local tough guys it would be all well and good, but surely everybody knows what's gonna happen when Sapp gets in there....or as die-hards do we know too much? do casual fight fans still genuinely believe that Bob Sapp is some kind of monster when they slap him on the poster?

The whole thing baffles me.

• Paid Members

The Rampage situation is annoying. It almost feels like Rampage think the UFC and we as fans owe him something at this point? The toys are most definitly out of the pram. Rampage is talking of fighting for a new promotion that will appreciate him, anyone else thing this could be One FC or one of these new Asian super promotions?

It's a shame, i'm re-watching the TUF season with Rampage/Griffin, and Rampage shows in that season why he was so beloved outside of his fights, he's genuinely funny and really seems like a decent guy. What also becomes apparent though is that he's a terrible loser, so i think the kind of run he's on at the moment has lead to the excuses and unhappines within the promotion.

I think people pay their cash to see him based on name value, same with Ken Shamrock and Tank Abbot.

Also notice he goes places like India and Indonesia these days, not only will MMA knowledge in these countries be low but also they are MMA starved areas. The UFC have not been there yet so the best they can get is Bob Sapp.

In say 2005 before UFC came over here on regular basis if Bob Sapp came and fought in Manchester for say Cage Rage, I might buy a ticket just to experiance MMA Live and see a big name from the MMA World.

I think in the days of Internet even Sapp will run out of paydays eventually, there is only a certain amount of areas in the world for him to do his 30 second routine in front of. As said above it is not the 1950's anymore.

• Paid Members
Fuck Rampage.

I couldn't agree with you more! That interview posted above is an absolute disgrace. What rampage doesn't realise is that it's not the UFC doing their best to take away his fans, but it's actually him doing a fine job deterring his fan base.

• Paid Members

The Rampage thing is getting stupid. I can see why he's not happy but these quotes saying Joe Silva should be shot for matching him with wrestlers is just childish. It's MMA.

I've been a fan of Rampage as long as I've been a fan of MMA. Even when he KO'd Wanderlei, I was gutted for Wand, but I couldn't hate Ramoage.

But this is deffo throwing his toys out the pram. He was loving the UFC when he was winning, there's videos of him saying how he loves the UFC. He starts losing and suddenly hates them and blames all his problems on them. If what he said is true and Dana knew he was injured for the Bader fight but still slagged his performance off after I can see why he's angry.

But he seems to forget the UFC sticking by him when he went looney on energy drinks and went all GTA in his truck. He says they never promoted him? 2 seasons of TUF, Primetime for the Rashad fight, his own DVD and his fights are always in the Countdown. What more can they do?

Archived