The MMA General News & Events Thread

David

• Paid Members
Bisping has headlined a numbered event before:-

UFC 78 Bisping vs Rashad Evans

UFC 87 Bisping vs Chris Leben

UFC 120 Bisping vs Akiyama

I think he meant live events shown on PPV in the US. However, your spot on!

Yes I did mean the numbered live events in the US and on PPV (as highlighed in my original post). However, I always forget Bisping faced Evans at LH at UFC 78.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Good fight that. I like Rocha, his Jiu-Jitsu is a thing of beauty to watch. The way he handled Ellenberger in the first round of their fight was impressive, especially in light of what Ellenberger's gone on to do. Pierce showed in the Kos fight he can compete with top level guys too.

I dare say this fight will fly under the radar a bit but it's one that could be a surprise in terms on quality, I think both are underrated.

• Paid Members

anyone caught Spike TV's MMA Uncensored yet?

it's a pretty cool little show, basically a mid-afternoon chat type show. Few guys chat over a cup of coffee. I like the format but the show is way too short, it feels like they bring up a subject each guys says one thing about it and they move on, it's a shame as i'd like to see it go for at least an hour.

Another problem so far is the host, he's seems like an absolute cretin. He's probably encouraged to stir shit up because a chat show where everyone agrees would be pretty boring, but he still comes across like a bit of a dick.

Still, it's definitly something i'll continue to watch.

it's a pretty cool little show, basically a mid-afternoon chat type show. Few guys chat over a cup of coffee. I like the format but the show is way too short, it feels like they bring up a subject each guys says one thing about it and they move on, it's a shame as i'd like to see it go for at least an hour.

Another problem so far is the host, he's seems like an absolute cretin. He's probably encouraged to stir shit up because a chat show where everyone agrees would be pretty boring, but he still comes across like a bit of a dick.

Ebb <3. Want to echo everything you've said here. It's mad that Inside MMA is double the length, it feels like it's about 4 times as long compared to the quick pace of MMA Uncensored. Their piece the first week about the Japanese mafia/MMA link was pretty cool, too.

• Paid Members

bamma9.jpg

BAMMA 9 is being shown over here on a week's delay :( dunno what happened to the SyFy deal, it also appears the promotions deal with HDnet was one-and-done because this week's show isn't on there either. What went wrong?

I really enjoyed the first episode above the fall of Pride and the Yakuza.

I have not watched any other episodes. Straka and Quarry were both decent on it from what I remember.

• Paid Members

Looks like Silva/Sonnen II will be in Rio, and likely infront of 80,000 people. That is going to be absolutely bat-shit insane, potentially one of the rowdiest and most hostile crowds ever. I see Chael getting destoyed within a round too.

From MiddleEasy

Engenhao, or as Chael Sonnen calls it, 'the place that the Nogueira brothers will try to feed a carrot to.' According to Dana White, this summer's UFC Rio card will take place inside of a soccer stadium in Rio de Janeiro and it will seat upwards of 80,000 patrons. TATAME has confirmed that the event will take place in the 'Est

Seriously, I think this is the biggest fight in UFC history beating out Lesnar vs Mir 2.

It should do around a million PPV buys in the states, a monster number by 2012 standards and in Brazil I can only guess how big this will be. With national hero Vitor Belfort co headlining against Wandy, this is going to be fucking insane.

If one fighter at 185lbs has the nerve and attitude to walk in to Brazil and not be phased its Sonnen. He showed no fear the first time, Okami was hopeless against Anderson, now some of that was down to skill but some was down to Okami freezing in my opinion.

I think Anderson may lose a round or so, but I think he will polish of Sonnen in the middle rounds with a knockout. If Sonnen won there will be a riot, no doubt in my mind things will get hairy. Brazilians are patriotic to the extreme, their love of F1 great Ayrton Senna is almost god-like and thats coming from a massive Senna fan. Dana has massive balls to give this the go ahead.

Thing is I am willing to wager Sonnen wont waver his trash talk about Brazil and Anderson in the build up, by the time it is fight time he will be as over in Rio as Osama Bin Laden was in New York on September 12th 2001. And the thing about that is, he will love every second of it.

Archived