The MMA General News & Events Thread

David

Also take into consideration that UFC will be debuting on a new network over here if they leave ESPN in the Summer.

As this card will be one of the few that they can show at a decent hour over here, they may want Bisping on as a name to draw viewers. He is probably the biggest drawing card out of the British fighters, and certaintly the best we have as much as I dislike him. UFC will want to draw viewers over here as well they wont be just concerned about viewers on Fuel in America, which Bisping will help as well being a mega villian over there that fans love to hate.

Bisping as said above does equal a sellout in Liverpool.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I personally think it's a real possibility that Bisping could headline a Fuel show. Lets face it, Bisping has never headlined a live numbered event in the past.

Eh....I think you will find that he has! UFC 78: Evans Vs Bisping drew 400,000 buys.

The other reason that I thought that Bisping wouldn't fight on this show was because he wanted to fight in April or May. If he wins that (which he should) then they will probably want he to fight Munoz or, if Sonnen wins, Chael would be a natural match up after their last fight.

Liverpool would sell out no problem without Bisping on the show.

I'm sorry, but Sanchez is nowhere near the star that Bisping is at this moment in time (he was big a couple of years ago but has never recovered from the beating Penn gave him). so you can jog on with that point.

I will be going. Going to take a guess that Bisping will headline.

I can't see Bisping being on a Fuel show. Even if it's an event being held in the UK. If Dan Hardy wins against Ludwig then that might happen. Bisping for me is too high profile a fighter to waste on a show which is only going to be seen by 250,000 viewers!

Where is the show going to be at?

It's a difficult situation, is Bisping really too big to headline a Fuel show? I personally don't think so if it's held in the UK. He knows he is a marquee name here and I don't think they will be doing any more numbered events here anymore with the FX and Fuel deal. In the past they have been numbered events but aired free on Spike. That won't be happening anymore.

I personally think it's a real possibility that Bisping could headline a Fuel show. Lets face it, Bisping has never headlined a live numbered event in the past.

I would also think selling out the arena here is the most important aspect as well for the UFC. They know the figure on Fuel wont be huge, but will still be at least be concerned about selling out an arena in a country where the currency is much stronger than their own.

Bisping has headlined a numbered event before:-

UFC 78 Bisping vs Rashad Evans

UFC 87 Bisping vs Chris Leben

UFC 120 Bisping vs Akiyama

Bisping has headlined a numbered event before:-

UFC 78 Bisping vs Rashad Evans

UFC 87 Bisping vs Chris Leben

UFC 120 Bisping vs Akiyama

I think he meant live events shown on PPV in the US. However, your spot on!

• Paid Members

Great news about the UK show in September. I'm gonna try and get to Liverpool for that most likely. Can see them having Hardy on there if he beats Ludwig and they'll most likely have Etim in a main card fight aswell.

Barao vs Hougland? Why? Hougland seems a decent fighter but Barao should be in the title mix surely. The fucker's on an 18 fight win streak, unbeaten in the WEC/UFC and he just steamrolled Pickett and won a convincing decision over Jorgensen. If he beats Hougland he should get the Cruz/Faber winner later this year, no question for me. I guess he just wanted to stay active while the TUF season plays out. Hougland seems like a step down though, Barao vs Menjivar would have been better.

• Paid Members

yeh, it's a weird one. It seems like a fight to keep him busy whilst Cruz/Faber sort out their thing. The UFC doesn't put that many fights on where you think 'eh?' but this is definitly one of them.

yeh, it's a weird one. It seems like a fight to keep him busy whilst Cruz/Faber sort out their thing. The UFC doesn't put that many fights on where you think 'eh?' but this is definitly one of them.

Before Barao's fight was announced, I thought he should already be the number one contender to the UFC Bantamweight Championship.

Tito Ortiz vs. Forrest Griffin III at UFC 148.

• Paid Members

I'm glad the Tito/Forrest rubber match is going ahead. It's the fight that makes the most sense as Tito's last fight, And Forrest is one of the few big names who I'd still give Tito a shot to beat so it could actually be an interesting and competitive fight. I enjoyed the first one, can't remember much of the rematch but I remember thinking Forrest won both. I'm no Tito fan but I actually wouldn't mind seeing him go out on a win here.

I'm glad the Tito/Forrest rubber match is going ahead. It's the fight that makes the most sense as Tito's last fight, And Forrest is one of the few big names who I'd still give Tito a shot to beat so it could actually be an interesting and competitive fight. I enjoyed the first one, can't remember much of the rematch but I remember thinking Forrest won both. I'm no Tito fan but I actually wouldn't mind seeing him go out on a win here.

In theory I agree with what you have wrote.

However, I am not looking forward to this as I feel it will be a mirror image of the second fight and part of the first fight. Tito goes for takedowns gets stuffed besides one that may win him a round, Forrest wins the stand up battle and wins a close verdict.

I have always liked Ortiz, he got me into MMA and I guess this is a decent fair well fight. I just feel it is predictable how it will go at this stage in their careers. Forrest does not seem to give a shit anymore but Tito is so over the hill it is not even funny.

I think this is a showcase fight for Barao where he can dominate and impress the audience on route to a title shot.

The UFC did this twice before with Werdum vs JDS and Jardine vs Houston Alexander. Both of them backfired. UFC usually match the best contenders against each other that is why I think this stands out, as Houghland is a bit of a no-name like Houston and JDS were when they fought estiblished contenders.

I think Barao wins and then gets his shot though.

Archived