The MMA General News & Events Thread

David

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I think that's a little unfair. From day one they were pretty damn careful about health and safety. The rules, while few, were actually pretty sensible. You weren't allowed to strike with a covered body part. That makes better sense than wearing light gloves because if you throw punches at someone's skull without a glove on, there's a good chance you'll break your hand. Thus, fewer people threw punches to the skull. It's like old bare-knuckle boxing. It was all body shots and no-one died. It's only since gloves were introduced that the concept of being "punch drunk" has come into being. It's arguable that rounds are dangerous too, since they give you a minute to clear your head after you've been knocked loopy, plus they enforce at least two stand-ups in every fight. Royce and Severn on the mat for 15 minutes might have been dull, but it was totally safe. Anti-jitsu scoring makes heavy strikes to the head the most valuable tool in a fighter's box too, to the detriment of less seriously damaging weapons.

I also think "less professional management" is pretty unfair on the SEG team. They tried a completely untested concept and took it from zero to regulation. They had a tough war to fight against ridiculous, ignorant censorship and it was only once they dug themselves out of that hole that Zuffa came on the scene. Their only advertising angle was the brutality, but the product was never really about that. When they were forced underground they didn't do it because they were bad. They did it because they had no other means of survival. I'd also question whether Dana Fucking White is the best example of professional management.

All great points and I don't disagree with most of it, I'm just saying the sport has come a long way.

My "less professional management" line may be a bit harsh but I do think that by playing up the brutal, bloodsport aspect they were a big reason why people had such a negative view of the sport. They did a lot of good aswell and they should be given credit for kicking off MMA and the effort they put in to keep it alive. But as you mentioned, they advertised it heavily on the 'No Holds Barred, only one man walks out' stuff and even members of the management were playing up the chance someone would die in the cage. I can't remember the guy's name or the exact quote but it's all in the No Holds Barred book by Clyde Gentry. He was telling media that a fight can end by "KO, Tapout...even death" I think it was. Hardly professional.

Not all SEG's rules were sensible either, some were but some were fucking reckless. Initially, they actually didn't give refs the power to stop fights unless the fighter tapped or his corner thew in the towel. That is, again, unprofessional management to me. Apparently Big John demanded that he be given power to stop a fight at his discretion and they then allowed it. It's a good thing that didn't carry on because just imagine a fight where a guy is badly hurt, his corner aren't throwing the towel in and the ref can't stop the fight. Disaster.

I know what you mean about the gloves/rounds issues it's the same in Boxing, but it's the only way to get the sport regulated and it's about making it work as a televised sport. Bare knuckle and no rounds might be safer in some ways, it's unsafer in others and in this day and age they're not gonna promote bare knuckle fighting as a legit sport so it's either the way it is now, a regulated sport with lots of rules or it goes off TV and underground. The refs, doctors and commissions are there to (hopefully) ensure fighter safety and despite some exceptions I think most refs today are very competent and look out for fighter safety above all else.

Dana White's easy to critcize but I think him and the Fertitta's have done more for the sport than anyone. He may say 'fuck' a lot but it's undeniable that since the Zuffa buyout in 2001 MMA is legal in more states than ever and the sport is more professionally run that it was back then imo.

Dana's problem is his mouth. He talks a lot more openly than most sports promoters would, which is mostly a good thing I reckon. But he goes way too far sometimes. I don't have a problem with him saying 'fuck' at all personally but his past controversies using the word 'faggott' and getting too personal with rival promoters and media is the main criticism I have of him. It's not a good image for the company. I've always said Lorenzo Fertitta would be a better choice as a public face of the company but he seems happier behind the scenes so we've got Dana.

I agree and sometimes strongly disagree with the way he does things a lot of times but I don't think he can be knocked when it comes to caring about fighter safety. He could have let Chuck Liddell carry on and I'm sure made a fair bit of coin off PPVs with him but he was the most vocal in wanting him to retire. He's said similar about other fighters and when he thinks a ref has let a fight go too far he's always the loudest voice on the matter. The Matt Brown vs Pete Sell fight he was standing at ringside, banging on his table shouting for the ref to save Sell from serious damage. So yeah he's not the most professional guy you'll ever see at the top of a company but as long as he can make the sport bigger and keep fighter safety the top priority then I can deal with him offending people in interviews now and then.

I'm not saying SEG were evil and didn't care or anything, they did a lot of good but they also made a lot of stupid decisions. And I think it's undeniable that MMA is in a better place now than in the 90s.

• Paid Members

They've jumbled up the FUEL 2 lineup. 6 fight main card again

MAIN CARD (FUEL TV)

Alexander Gustafsson vs. Thiago Silva

Alessio Sakara vs. Brian Stann

Siyar Bahadurzada vs. Paulo Thiago

Diego Nunes vs. Dennis Siver

DaMarques Johnson vs. John Maguire

Damacio Page vs. Brad Pickett

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)*

Papy Abedi vs. James Head

Yoislandy Izquierdo vs. Reza Madadi

Cyrille Diabate vs. Jorgen Kruth

Francis Carmont vs. Magnus Cedenblad

Simeon Thoresen vs. Besam Yousef

Jason Young vs. Eric Wisely

Looks fucking brilliant to me. I'm glad they bumped the Pickett/Page and Siver/Nunes fights to the main card.

Looks fucking brilliant to me. I'm glad they bumped the Pickett/Page and Siver/Nunes fights to the main card.

I think Pickett handles Page, and fairly comfortably at that. Several years back I was super high on Page and thought he was some sort of killer, that was until he got found out. It's no secret on how to beat him; he'll come out swinging, survive the initial onslaught, take him to the ground and sub him, he's like a mini-Manhoef. Should be good whilst it lasts, and will be nice to see Pickett back on winning ways.

Glad we as finally getting the long awaited Bahadurzada debut too.

• Paid Members

Yeah the Manhoef comparison is a good one, but I love Manhoef aswell despite his grappling faults. I reckon Pickett wins comfortably, as long as he doesn't eat a bomb early, I'm guessing he'll submit him too. Still it should be exciting for however long it lasts.

I'm interested in Siyar's debut aswell and to see how Siver looks at 145. And to see Gypsy John Maguire again. I really hope he beats Lionel Ritchie.

Yeah the Manhoef comparison is a good one, but I love Manhoef aswell despite his grappling faults. I reckon Pickett wins comfortably, as long as he doesn't eat a bomb early, I'm guessing he'll submit him too. Still it should be exciting for however long it lasts.

I'm interested in Siyar's debut aswell and to see how Siver looks at 145

My only worry with the Pickett fight is that he'll chose to stand and trade, in which case he could get caught. There's no doubting he's got a chin on him, and the Berao fight showed that he can take a punch and punishment, but there's always the chance that Page could land something.

Siver looked so muscular and thick at 155, so it will be interesting to see whether the cut to 145 has had any adverse affect. Tough fight against Nunes, though as title challengers are few and far between, an impressive win could put him right in line.

I was baffled when Siver vs. Nunes wasn't originally on the main card. The G-Sot fan in me wants Diego to blast Siver with a first round KO.

Hunt vs. Struve is the perfect fight to make. If Hunt gets past Struve comfortably (which, lets face it, is very likely as long as the fight stays standing, and Hunt's worked on his wrestling), then the Super Samoan should get a top guy next. Hunt's not getting any younger, let him go for a run. A returning Big Nog maybe?

• Paid Members
Along with UFC 145, they are also doing Primetime for UFC 146: Dos Santos vs. Overeem!

I'm glad they're doing it for that fight. I'm getting greedy now and it's probably not likely but I hope they do it for Silva vs Sonnen 2 aswell.

They need to build up Overeem's connection to LMFAO in this one. Get some real crossover appeal.

alga.gif

And for anyone interested, Cro Cop's last fight (hopefully)

Cro Cop vs Sefo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJt4VXeWeK8

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

I hope that is it for Mirko now. It was a pretty good fight and he can go out on a win over a K-1 legend in his hometown. No need to carry on.

Nice farewell and Ray Sefo was a class act at the end aswell. I hope Mirko doesn't take his advice to carry on though

Bob Sapp Vs. James Thompson is only a few hours away! With a whopping combined record of 3 wins in their last twenty fights, the winner of this epic fight cannot be ignored and will, most likely, be given an immediate title shot when they inevitably sign for the UFC. The good news is it's being streamed live on youtube. I know what I'll be doing this sunday afternoon (watching Sapp tap due to strikes in the first minute most probably)

SFL1

LARGE

Bob Sapp Vs. James Thompson is only a few hours away! With a whopping combined record of 3 wins in their last twenty fights, the winner of this epic fight cannot be ignored and will, most likely, be given an immediate title shot when they inevitably sign for the UFC. The good news is it's being streamed live on youtube. I know what I'll be doing this sunday afternoon (watching Sapp tap due to strikes in the first minute most probably)

SFL1

LARGE

Sapp vs. Thompson is about to start now btw!

Its actually been a very good show, lots of good short fights and an excellent Womens fight.

Archived