The MMA General News & Events Thread

David

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

A report by Tonight with Trevor McDonald on MMA. It aired on July 22, 1999, and it focuses on Lee Hasdell's Total Fight events. Lee Hasdell was one of the first guys to begin promoting MMA shows in the UK.

• Paid Members

Champ Junior Dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem (for heavyweight title)

Frank Mir vs. Cain Velasquez

Edson Barboza vs. Evan Dunham

Roy Nelson vs. Antonio Silva

Dan Hardy vs. Duane "Bang" Ludwig

Diego Brandao vs. Darren Elkins

C.B. Dollaway vs. Jason "Mayhem" Miller

Shane Del Rosario vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

Kyle Kingsbury vs. Glover Teixeira

Paul Sass vs. Jacob Volkmann

Sheeeeeeeeeeeit.

• Paid Members
A report by Tonight with Trevor McDonald on MMA. It aired on July 22, 1999, and it focuses on Lee Hasdell's Total Fight events. Lee Hasdell was one of the first guys to begin promoting MMA shows in the UK.

Great find, cheers.

And I just stumbled across this

It's Chuck Liddell as a kid in the film The Postman Always Rings Twice :D I read he was in the film but never saw him.

And for anyone who hasn't seen it here's the Ultimate Royce Gracie documentary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZUG-qx2piQ

highly recommend it if you haven't seen it yet. It's as much about the beginnings of the UFC as it is Royce. Really interesting.

Champ Junior Dos Santos vs. Alistair Overeem (for heavyweight title)

Frank Mir vs. Cain Velasquez

Edson Barboza vs. Evan Dunham

Roy Nelson vs. Antonio Silva

Dan Hardy vs. Duane "Bang" Ludwig

Diego Brandao vs. Darren Elkins

C.B. Dollaway vs. Jason "Mayhem" Miller

Shane Del Rosario vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

Kyle Kingsbury vs. Glover Teixeira

Paul Sass vs. Jacob Volkmann

Sheeeeeeeeeeeit.

That is a ridiculous line up. It should really make things clear who stands where in the heavyweight division especially. Winner of Cain vs Mir gets the title shot aswell so we'll know what the next HW title fight is by the end of the night. Can't wait.

EDIT - just watched that Trevor McDonald clip. I'd heard of the guy who died in a fight, Doug Dedge, but never saw footage of the fight until this clip. Hard to watch them last shots and him collapsing post fight.

Still, as horrible as that was it's not the most balanced clip. It's to be expected given it was 1999 when even the UFC was on it's arse and under not so professional management. There legitmately was a lot wrong with the sport back then. But little things like Maitland's "He makes a full recovery...this time at least" and the ominous music after Hasdell's win were clearly an attempt to paint the sport as negatively as possible.

I'm glad the sport is what it is today though. It's not perfect and there's still a lot of danger there but it's far removed from the way it was in the 90s.

• Paid Members

If you've got a spare 50 minutes this is a good watch

Dana White media scrum from the UFC on FOX 3 press conference

covers a whole range of topics like the Henderson/Edgar rematch, the Rousey/Tate fight and women's MMA, TUF 15 & TUF Brazil, Donald Trump and a load more.

• Paid Members

Soz about the triple post but just thought I'd throw this out there.

Cro-Cop-Sefo-poster.jpg

Cro Cop's (supposedly/hopefully) last fight is on Saturday. He's fighting in his hometown Zagreb, Croatia against Ray Sefo under K-1 rules. The event is called K-1: Final Fight so hopefully he sticks to his retirement whatever the result. It does kind of make sense for him to go out in K-1, where he originally made his name as a fighter. And in his hometown.

I've got a feeling he will stick to it. He's admitted the desire to fight hasn't been as strong as it was and he wants to end his career in Croatia, retire and enjoy his time with his wife and kids. It would be a great moment if he could get one last win and go out on a positive note against a fellow K-1 legend.

Here's the Croatian trailer for the event

Press conference with Cro Cop, Sefo, Michael Buffer

Cro Cop sparring with Pat Barry for Sefo fight

Ray Sefo interview

CC%20Igor.gif

10001115.gif

CroCopDropsBarry.gif

And just for the sake of it, here's that video of Mirko and his pal Pat singing 'California Dreaming' again

Cro Cop highlight, Cro Cop in better days

crocop.gif

Legend

EDIT - just watched that Trevor McDonald clip. I'd heard of the guy who died in a fight, Doug Dedge, but never saw footage of the fight until this clip. Hard to watch them last shots and him collapsing post fight.

Still, as horrible as that was it's not the most balanced clip. It's to be expected given it was 1999 when even the UFC was on it's arse and under not so professional management. There legitmately was a lot wrong with the sport back then. But little things like Maitland's "He makes a full recovery...this time at least" and the ominous music after Hasdell's win were clearly an attempt to paint the sport as negatively as possible.

I'm glad the sport is what it is today though. It's not perfect and there's still a lot of danger there but it's far removed from the way it was in the 90s.

I think that's a little unfair. From day one they were pretty damn careful about health and safety. The rules, while few, were actually pretty sensible. You weren't allowed to strike with a covered body part. That makes better sense than wearing light gloves because if you throw punches at someone's skull without a glove on, there's a good chance you'll break your hand. Thus, fewer people threw punches to the skull. It's like old bare-knuckle boxing. It was all body shots and no-one died. It's only since gloves were introduced that the concept of being "punch drunk" has come into being. It's arguable that rounds are dangerous too, since they give you a minute to clear your head after you've been knocked loopy, plus they enforce at least two stand-ups in every fight. Royce and Severn on the mat for 15 minutes might have been dull, but it was totally safe. Anti-jitsu scoring makes heavy strikes to the head the most valuable tool in a fighter's box too, to the detriment of less seriously damaging weapons.

I also think "less professional management" is pretty unfair on the SEG team. They tried a completely untested concept and took it from zero to regulation. They had a tough war to fight against ridiculous, ignorant censorship and it was only once they dug themselves out of that hole that Zuffa came on the scene. Their only advertising angle was the brutality, but the product was never really about that. When they were forced underground they didn't do it because they were bad. They did it because they had no other means of survival. I'd also question whether Dana Fucking White is the best example of professional management.

Very cool first-person video of Brandon Vera holding pads (with the camera around his neck presumably) in a training session for Ross Pearson at Alliance MMA:

Very unique type of video that could be pretty cool if you've never experienced this sorta thing yourself I'd imagine.

Also as much I haven't been a fan of Vera as a fighter/personality, he comes across as a fantastic coach in this and other videos.

Some random news from UFC 123

The UFC returned to the state of Michigan for the first time since UFC 9 when UFC 123 was held at the Palace of Auburn Hills on November 20, 2010. The event wasn't without some controversy as the first round of the Gerald Harris vs. Maiquel Falcao bout ended early due to poor time keeping and may have cost Falcao a chance to finish a choke.

Now, sixteen months later, another bit of interesting news from that card is bubbling to the surface.

In the wake of the news that the Association of Boxing Commission had sent a letter to all its member commissions telling them to no longer license fighters from the state of Michigan and to not recognize fights taking place in the state, Bloody Elbow Radio's Matt Bishop e-mailed me and asked if anyone was aware that Tyson Griffin had tested positive for something following UFC 123. Matt had found the information out while looking at some meeting minutes on the commission's webpage.

After searching up and down the internet, I could find no mention of Griffin having tested positive for anything, but the meeting minutes were quite clear (emphasis mine):

2. TYSON LEE GRIFFIN - Complaint No. 316174

The Commission reviewed the Stipulation and complaint. The respondent admits to violation of Sections MCL 338.3648(6)(a) and R 339.269(3). The Stipulation, in part, provides for the following:

a. At the next unarmed combat or boxing contest Respondent participates in as a contestant, within the State of Michigan, Respondent may be specifically selected for a post-contest urine screening to measure the presence of alcohol or drugs.

b. Respondent shall pay a fine in the amount of $250 within 60 days from the mailing date of the Final Order.

c. Failure to comply with the terms and conditions within 60 days from the mailing date of the Final Order shall result in a suspension of all licenses or registration renewals and denial of future applications for licensure until compliance is made.

d. Respondent license was summarily suspended for at least 100 days.

It was moved by Mr. Mueller and supported by Mr. Packer to accept the Stipulation. The motion passed unanimously.

With Griffin a recognizable UFC fighter whose bout at 123 was his twelfth on the sport's biggest stage, it simply didn't make sense for this to have been a non-story.

The test failure not only wasn't reported by any news website, it didn't appear to be publicly acknowledged by the UFC either.

A call was placed to the Michigan Unarmed Combat Commission to determine why this information was never made public as well as to find out exactly what Griffin tested positive for. Carol Moultine of the commission informed me that the state followed their procedures exactly in this case and that if I wanted to know what Tyson tested positive for, I would have to file a Freedom of Information Act request to obtain the file.

That's exactly what I did and a week later I received the disciplinary action report for Griffin and found out that he had tested positive for Cannabinoids

t almost becomes more strange when the test is for marijuana rather than some sort of performance enhancing drug when it comes the UFC not making it public knowledge. Then again, in 2006, Diego Sanchez tested positive for the presence of marijuana following his defeat of Joe Riggs and when the California State Athletic Commission didn't make that news public, the UFC also didn't acknowledge it until the story was picked up by the Orange County Register.

Dana White said that he felt Griffin had been screwed in a big way when he lost the UFC 123 fight via split decision to Nik Lentz, but one has to wonder if he had won if the decision would have been changed to a no contest like Nick Diaz's win over Takanori Gomi. And, while Tyson is not a star on the level of Diaz, we've seen the firestorm that accompanies positive tests for marijuana with the Gomi fight and, more recently, the UFC 143 bout with Carlos Condit where Diaz tested positive again.

There were already questions surrounding if Griffin would be let go following the loss, given it was his third in a row, but Dana elected to keep him and Tyson dropped to featherweight in his next bout. That move to featherweight is where a conspiracy theorist may look and think that the UFC was more than happy to have a drug test go unspoken with a fighter who was expected to be a game changer once featherweight came to the UFC.

In another strange moment during the research for this story, I contacted Stars MMA while waiting for the disciplinary action file to see if they (and Tyson) had a statement regarding the situation. Griffin's manager returned the call and was very upset on the phone that I would report on the issue. He repeatedly told me that there was no sense reporting on the story and then getting upset that I would bring something that happened multiple fights ago to light. Given that I didn't even know what Griffin had tested positive for at the time I asked how it was not news that someone tested positive for something that was kept from the public and asked if it was PED related, which would make a 10 pound drop in his next fight a much bigger deal. Rather than simply informing me that it was for marijuana he said "good luck with the Freedom of Information Act request, we have no comment beyond that" and ended our conversation.

It all adds up to such a strange story:

For a promotion which has voluntarily made positive drug tests public knowledge (Chris Leben being caught by UFC testing in England for UFC 89), why is this the second positive test for marijuana (that we know of) to have been kept out of the public eye?

For Michigan, why did they not make this information public? The public pays for the government commission to operate and pays for tickets/pay-per-views for the events, anything the commission does should be made easily accessible for the public.

And for Stars MMA, why would you not take advantage of a chance to get out in front of the story with me and offer comment? Why add another layer of resistance and mystery to a story I made clear was going to come to light?

In the end we're left with a lot of questionable behavior around a simple 100 day license suspension during a time when drug testing is at the forefront of the media with Diaz's marijuana conviction and the continued presence of testosterone replacement therapy in the headlines.

White brags about how heavily regulated the UFC is, but what does that mean when the public isn't always fully aware of what that regulation detects?

Archived