The MMA General News & Events Thread

David

Are we now buying into the hype machine of the UFC a bit too much? Is it really gonna get THAT dangerous for the guy?

They scream ''you're gonna die'' to all american fighters. Yes, the dislike is on another level but the people do get that they are just fighters and talking out of their asses.

One of Okami's sponsors refused Sonnen come over to Brazil last August for fear of what might happen. Brazilians take MMA and their country very seriously.

Here is a video of the riot involving Renzo Gracie from 1997. Yeah there will be more secruity in June, but 80,000 people is a hell of a lot to control. If Anderson wins, there will be no incident, bar maybe a few drinks or coins thrown during the ring walk of Sonnen, if Sonnen wins and starts trash talking things will get a bit hairy.

No offence to Dana and Zufa but to have this fight in Brazil is just bad for business 80,000 who chant Die Sonnen Die or anyone that isn't brazilian its just nuts, Canada or Japan would of been perfect. I just cant see why 80,000 fans who might possibly riot is good for business, specially if Sonnen just wrestles with Anderson for 5 rounds.

But to be fair, GSP and Kos was a heated rivalry played out in Canada, wouldn't have had the same build on an Aussie card, not to the same extent and with the same hostility as brazil of course, but it is what sells shows. Plus to sell 80,000 you couldn't have Silva v Maia level fight, it needs to have more of a hook than that, in my opinion.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Are we now buying into the hype machine of the UFC a bit too much? Is it really gonna get THAT dangerous for the guy?

They scream ''you're gonna die'' to all american fighters. Yes, the dislike is on another level but the people do get that they are just fighters and talking out of their asses.

One of Okami's sponsors refused Sonnen come over to Brazil last August for fear of what might happen. Brazilians take MMA and their country very seriously.

Here is a video of the riot involving Renzo Gracie from 1997. Yeah there will be more secruity in June, but 80,000 people is a hell of a lot to control. If Anderson wins, there will be no incident, bar maybe a few drinks or coins thrown during the ring walk of Sonnen, if Sonnen wins and starts trash talking things will get a bit hairy.

No offence to Dana and Zufa but to have this fight in Brazil is just bad for business 80,000 who chant Die Sonnen Die or anyone that isn't brazilian its just nuts, Canada or Japan would of been perfect. I just cant see why 80,000 fans who might possibly riot is good for business, specially if Sonnen just wrestles with Anderson for 5 rounds.

But to be fair, GSP and Kos was a heated rivalry played out in Canada, wouldn't have had the same build on an Aussie card, not to the same extent and with the same hostility as brazil of course, but it is what sells shows. Plus to sell 80,000 you couldn't have Silva v Maia level fight, it needs to have more of a hook than that, in my opinion.

You are surely not comparing GSP vs KOS to Sonnen/Silva 2 in Brazil??? Please tell me I'm seeing things here?

GSP vs KOS was heated yes, but first off to my knowledge I can't remember Koscheck taking the piss out of the canadian people. Also, I've yet to hear reports of fighters facing death threats as they are walking to the octagon at a Canadian event.

Then, to top that off, GSP/KOS was not in a open air 80.000 seater football stadium!

The Brazilians aren't going to riot if Sonnen wins, I have seen various Brazilian posters on MMA forums saying this would not happen and Chael will be fine. He also isn't dumb, he's not going to cut some heel promo if he wins, he will be saying how much he respects Brazil and Anderson Silva and will probably get Anderson Silva saying the same. If Messi acted the tit like Maradona used too and scored a hat-trick against Brazil in the final of the 2014 World Cup, he would still get out Brazil alive.

TUF Brazil is on the Brazilian equivalent of the BBC, so the card is guaranteed to have at least 3 mega popular Brazilian winners with the two TUF winners and Wand or Vitor.

• Paid Members
Are we now buying into the hype machine of the UFC a bit too much? Is it really gonna get THAT dangerous for the guy

Yes. If you watch the Anderson documentary 'Like Water' it's apparent that Sonnen is doing Dana's bidding & working his ass off to sell the PPV. When this worked he took on the gimmick & now he's been known for it. He means as much of the stuff he says as The Undertaker does when he cuts a promo. If people want to convince themselves this shit's real to enjoy it more that's fine, but I guarantee if Sonnen wins there wont be a riot & when Chael's walking round with no cameras/reporters around he'll be perfectly civil.

• Paid Members
Are we now buying into the hype machine of the UFC a bit too much? Is it really gonna get THAT dangerous for the guy

Yes. If you watch the Anderson documentary 'Like Water' it's apparent that Sonnen is doing Dana's bidding & working his ass off to sell the PPV. When this worked he took on the gimmick & now he's been known for it. He means as much of the stuff he says as The Undertaker does when he cuts a promo. If people want to convince themselves this shit's real to enjoy it more that's fine, but I guarantee if Sonnen wins there wont be a riot & when Chael's walking round with no cameras/reporters around he'll be perfectly civil.

Sorry Mike, I fail to see how Chael being Civil has anything to do with the situation?

99% of Sonnen's fans know he's putting on an act and know it's to sell a PPV. However, the safety of fighter has nothing to do it. It's a fact that Okami received death threats on his way to the octagon when he faced Silva. Now, despite Chael not meaning what he has said, I can't see how death threats on his way to the octagon cannot mentally affect the way you approach a fight.

I think personally for me, maybe I should restate that I believe Sonnen's chances of beating Silva are severely hampered with the fight taking place in Brazil.

Sonnen does believe some of the things he says, he just exagerates them to hype things up.

He thinks he is the best at 185lbs, he thinks American fighters like Couture and Hendo are generally better than Brazilians like Nog and Wandy and I believe he thinks Pride was a bit of a shambles and like Dana believes a lot of the fighters from it are overated.

He does say things that you know he is taking the piss, calling Anderson a "easy fight" and saying Wandy is "the easiest fight" in the UFC. Also that all "the Silva's suck"

The best story I heard about Chael was from a Sherdog Reporter who said asked him at a event if he was scared that Brock Lesnar had heard what he had been saying about him as Lesnar had just entered the room. Chael looked sheepish and said to the reporter "I hope not"

• Paid Members

Yeah I think it's clear that most of what comes out of Chael's mouth is all a load of bollocks to create interest. He's been around for ages and he was never some big talker in his career, it's only when he got his 2nd run in the UFC that he started talking and he gradually stepped it up around the time of the Marquardt fight. And it's worked wonders for him as far as marketability/opportunities are concerned.

It's crazy to think the position he's in now when you look back at his first stint in the UFC. He was tucked away on the prelims most of the time and no-one gave a fuck about him. Now he's headlining an 80,000 seat stadium fighting for the title, and all that's really changed is he's talking. He's winning more now obviously but so was Jon Fitch and it didn't get him another title shot.

I can't believe there's still people who get all worked up and take what he says so seriously to be honest. I don't see it on here, probably because we understand that side of it more being that we all are/were pro wrestling fans. But there seems to be a huge amount of people who seem to think he means every word.

You only have to look at how he was after the first fight with Anderson to see what he's really like. He shook hands with Anderson after the fight and then couldn't have been more respectful at the press conference. Of course, after that he started mouthing off again knowing there would be a lot of interest in a rematch.

I can't believe there's still people who get all worked up and take what he says so seriously to be honest.

This

The ony thing I remember well from his first stint is Babulu beating him. If someone would have came up to me in say 2007 and said his name I may not have remembered who he was. It was only the Filho fight that I can remember thinking this guy me be actually quite good.

I dont remember his fight with Dan Miller, and only vagually recall the Marquart and Maia fights. Then all of a sudden in around April 2010 he started gobbing of about Silva, he was truly a overnight sensation. I remember being round a friends house and telling her that I couldnt wait to get home to see what Chael was going to say on the countdown show, 4 months before that I barely could tell you what he looked like.

It has indeed worked wonders for him, and he is a naturally funny guy, if Jon Fitch or Grey Maynard tried it, it would not work.

Still what has been said, Dana has always said the fighters safety comes first and having 80,000 fans possibly sending death threats to Chael if Chael wins there will be a riot.

Surely they will be a list of people who are banned from the event, but I still feel its bad for business for the UFC to be in Brazil just because of those insane fans, ok they are passionate about MMA and thats what we need but they take passion too far and turn it into hooliganism, the UK fans are bad at times with the soccer or used to be (I don't pay any attention to soccer now).

Chael is only saying those things for TV and to hype the fight up but you know those fans are taking it to heart, the Brazilian fans are like that fat NWA fan who cried and said "its still real to me damn it" just alot more angry and less fat and could riot.

• Paid Members

Sonnen's rise has been insane. He was borderline journeyman at one stage, he never looked great in winning the WEC Title (which he didn't officially win) and in returning to the UFC he didn't turn any heads. Everything really changed around the time he defeated Marquadt, since then he's gone on one hell of a tear, he hasn't really changed his style either or his training partners, but it all seems to have clicked.

The Brazilian show is gonna be nervy, there's no doubt that he pushes people's buttons and the Brazilian crowd is partisan as fuck, when a non-Brazilian doesn't win they tend not to react, so when there's a proper nationalistic rivalry going on i think think could get rowdy. There's no doubt Chael Sonnen means what he says, he's just a salesman at the end of the day, but he has said some pretty derogatory things about Brazilians in general.

Whether or not it will effect Chael's performance, who knows? but the fight has that classic 'go into the champions backyard' thing going on, which i'm always a fan of.

I can't wait.

The Brazilian show is gonna be nervy, there's no doubt that he pushes people's buttons and the Brazilian crowd is partisan as fuck, when a non-Brazilian doesn't win they tend not to react, so when there's a proper nationalistic rivalry going on i think think could get rowdy.

Spot on.

When Luiz Cane lost who is hardly a marquee name, the crowd went as quiet as a mouse before booing his oppenent post-fight.

• Paid Members

wee request, can we not post BAMMA spoilers on here for this Saturday's show? or if we do, hide them or whatever. The show is on UK TV next Saturday so im gonna do my best to avoid the results, makes sense?

Archived