The MMA General News & Events Thread

David

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The stadium holds 46,000 for football matches, so you're looking at about 50,000-ish for this fight

Surely there will be more than 4000 on the pitch! I reckon there will be more like 60, 000. Either way, it should be an amazing atmosphere!

The stadium holds 46,000 for football matches, so you're looking at about 50,000-ish for this fight

Surely there will be more than 4000 on the pitch! I reckon there will be more like 60, 000. Either way, it should be an amazing atmosphere!

UFC don't tend to cram the floor at events, they might change it this show due to the high demand of it though. I'd say 55,000 at the most.

• Paid Members
Wanderlei talking about cups -

WANDERLEI_medium.jpg

:laugh: That's lovely that. I'm tempted to make it my new sig but I've only had Soulman Rashad for a day so Wand's cup stretching wand will have to stay on the subs bench.

Some other bits and pieces

Jon_Fitch_Beard_medium.jpg

Jon_Fitch_stache_medium.jpg

And a good interview with Dana White on a bunch of recent subjects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=EKJxwg6QVmw

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Former-Li...-Contract-41407

King Mo is gone from ZUFFA.

I am annoyed about this, but at least if Rampage leaves there is a fight there for him now. No way King Mo should not be in the UFC tangling with the big boys though. He is one of the most charasmatic and talented fighters out there, shame he has pissed it away for the time being.

• Paid Members

As someone who knows nothing about UFC, is there a kind of weekly TV show people watch or what? It's something I'm interested in taking a look at and have no idea where to start. A weekly show going over all the news and latest fights would probably be the best place.

Basically I know fuck all about MMA but would like to give it a go, any tips would be great, ta.

• Paid Members

Your in luck a year or two ago there was nothing, now theres loads. If you wanna start with the UFC go with UFC Tonight, the promotiona official news-recap show. Other than that there's Inside MMA, MMA Uncensored, MMA Live (might have stopped) plus tons of online based shows.

• Paid Members

Damn it, Ebb.

MMA live is decent but I'm not sure if that's on ESPN UK anymore. There are other shows such as UFC tonight (the official UFC news show) and Inside MMA, but they are only broadcast in the US. Most of the usual torrent sites have them available though.

• Paid Members
As someone who knows nothing about UFC, is there a kind of weekly TV show people watch or what? It's something I'm interested in taking a look at and have no idea where to start. A weekly show going over all the news and latest fights would probably be the best place.

Basically I know fuck all about MMA but would like to give it a go, any tips would be great, ta.

There's not really anything like that on TV over here I'm afraid. ESPN used to show MMA Live weekly but it's hardly on anymore. Your best bet is watching the MMA news shows online.

I'd highly recommend these;

UFC Ultimate Insider

Basically this is a UFC produced show, covers the current goings on and usually has specific profiles on certain fighters each episode. They upload these to UFC's youtube channel.

I think this is the most recent episode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2irVwHBWQYU

Usually some good little features on there aswell. Like these

Forrest Griffin and Stephan Bonnar on a bunch of topics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0GiCj9yl2g...feature=channel

Joe Rogan's favourite Ultimate Fighter moments

Inside MMA

This is a news panel type show presented by Kenny Rice and Bas Rutten. They always have top fighters and trainers so it's usually worth a watch. They had Boxing trainer Freddie Roach on their last episode. This isn't UFC produced but they cover MMA as a whole from the UFC right down to small regional shows.

Freddie Roach's top 5 boxers in MMA

Bas Rutten on Inside MMA highlights

MMA Live

Another panel show produced by ESPN. They pretty much just cover UFC/Strikeforce and have a lot of well known fighters on. Chael Sonnen, Stephan Bonnar and Kenny Florian are regular panelists on there.

UFC 142 breakdown and discussion on fighter pay (Jan)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQhRWTuWxxY

Sonnen talks about his suspension (Dec 2011)

Obviously some of them links are old but that's just to give you an idea what the shows are like. All 3 of them are good viewing.

edit - Ha, me Silky and Ebb must have all been posting at the same time.

I like Freddie Roach but I disagree with his list for me its.

1. Diaz

2. JDS

3. Anderson

4. Belfort

I think those 4 stand out the most in terms of pure boxing. He must be out of touch as Edgar outboxed Penn handily and Noons boxing is quite overated in my opinion.

GSP is a decent enough striker, and his jab was tremendous against Koscheck, but Shields who is a very limited boxer landed a bit too much on him for me to rate him.

It is pretty hard to rate boxing in MMA as their are so many other aspects of the striking game thrown in at the same time, but for me the 4 I mentioned really standout. Diaz I rate number one as he throws combos, body punches and has fast hand speed, Anderson has to be on there due to his head movment that not many fighters in MMA can use well and JDS is the best puncher you are going to get in high-class MMA. Belfort is just a power punching machine and his hand speed is insane.

EDIT: If I had to put in a number 5, maybe Rashad or Hendo

Archived