The MMA General News & Events Thread

David

• Paid Members
Dustin Poirer Vs. Chan Sung Jung will headline UFC on Fuel TV 3

Winner will face Jose Aldo

That's a great fight. Poirier doesn't really get talked about a lot for some reason but he's a really promising fighter and he's still really young. To be within one fight of a title shot this early in his career (maybe too early but we'll see) is incredible. Him or the Zombie vs Aldo will be exciting, although I wouldn't expect either to pull off an upset.

Mir vs Velasquez and the Tito vs Forrest rubber match should be good. I'd have preferred Mir vs Werdum and Cain vs Carwin or Bigfoot (whoever's healthy/available) but whatever. Great fights.

Wonder who Ross Pearson fights now with Zombie tied up? Come to think of it, I really like the idea of a Pearson vs Diego Nunes match up.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wonder who Ross Pearson fights now with Zombie tied up? Come to think of it, I really like the idea of a Pearson vs Diego Nunes match up.

I can see them doing either putting him in with either Nunes or Erik Koch.

The one thing I hate about UFC matchmaking, American fighters are fighting very regularly and seem to have new fights announced like a week or two after their previous fight (big examples are Pat Barry, Beltran, Matt Brown, Nam Phan, Guillard ect.) where as the British fighters are lucky to get two or three fights in a year even when they state they're ready for a fight. Can be quite annoying seeing peoples spots getting overtaken just due to the other fighters getting more regular fights.

• Paid Members
So apparently Carlos Condit only accepted the rematch with Nick Diaz after he heard that Diaz failed the drug test, he never intended to have the rematch in the first place.

Yeah there's been some stuff on Twitter about that and Condit's responded

k8GJy.jpg

v2mvW.jpg

I don't buy that he never intended on the rematch. So they're saying Condit accepted the rematch after Dana told him about the test failure? Why would Dana have even been offering Condit a rematch if he knew Diaz failed?

The shocking thing about this to me is how many MMA fans all over the net seem to have bought into it. Seriously, does anyone really believe Condit is scared? The man's built his career on wars. He gets a bit of a lucky break with GSP being out and finds himself with a huge opportunity in the biggest fight of his career and for once he decides to fight a smarter safer fight. This Condit bashing is a load of old sweaty bollocks. And people all of a sudden believe he'd do something cowardly like accept a rematch knowing it couldn't happen? It's ridiculous.

It was a close fight. Whichever way you scored it a lot of the rounds were up for interpretation. I had Condit winning 3 rounds to 2. A rematch wouldn't have been necessarily fair on Condit imo but in fights where there's that much debate I can understand doing it again. Especially in this case with the champ on the shelf until late 2012.

I'm a Diaz fan but he had a chance to get himself back in the hunt and he fucked up by not laying off the wacky backy close to fight time. There's an argument that weed shouldn't even be on the banned list because it's not exactly a PED but that's besides the point. As of now it is banned and they knew it and he still did it. That's his own fault, it's a lesson he should have learned after the Gomi win was taken from him.

All this whinging from the Diaz/Cesar Gracie side and trying to make Condit look a bitch is all shite to distract everyone from the fact they blew a big opportunity up in a big cloud of smoke, literally. How is it Condit's fault that Diaz had a few smokes too many before the fight? Because that's all that's stopped this rematch.

Man, Diaz really is coming off as a bit of a moron, isn't he? He lost the fight fair & square, then got offered the chance of a rematch, then blew that because he can't get through life without drugs.

Hopefully he does retire.

I don't buy that he never intended on the rematch. So they're saying Condit accepted the rematch after Dana told him about the test failure? Why would Dana have even been offering Condit a rematch if he knew Diaz failed?

The shocking thing about this to me is how many MMA fans all over the net seem to have bought into it. Seriously, does anyone really believe Condit is scared? The man's built his career on wars. He gets a bit of a lucky break with GSP being out and finds himself with a huge opportunity in the biggest fight of his career and for once he decides to fight a smarter safer fight. This Condit bashing is a load of old sweaty bollocks. And people all of a sudden believe he'd do something cowardly like accept a rematch knowing it couldn't happen? It's ridiculous.

It was a close fight. Whichever way you scored it a lot of the rounds were up for interpretation. I had Condit winning 3 rounds to 2. A rematch wouldn't have been necessarily fair on Condit imo but in fights where there's that much debate I can understand doing it again. Especially in this case with the champ on the shelf until late 2012.

I'm a Diaz fan but he had a chance to get himself back in the hunt and he fucked up by not laying off the wacky backy close to fight time. There's an argument that weed shouldn't even be on the banned list because it's not exactly a PED but that's besides the point. As of now it is banned and they knew it and he still did it. That's his own fault, it's a lesson he should have learned after the Gomi win was taken from him.

All this whinging from the Diaz/Cesar Gracie side and trying to make Condit look a bitch is all shite to distract everyone from the fact they blew a big opportunity up in a big cloud of smoke, literally. How is it Condit's fault that Diaz had a few smokes too many before the fight? Because that's all that's stopped this rematch.

That first paragraph is a joke. Why would Dana have given Condit an improved contract with better terms to take the Diaz re-match if he already knew that Diaz had failed a drugs test. That just makes no sense at all!

At the end of the day Diaz only has himself to blame. He just should be thankful that because he is a star promoters will always use him.

Moving away from Diaz.

Sanchez vs Ellenberger is a interesting fight this week, one I had forgotten was happening.

Sanchez is a warrior but he is out of his depth here in my opinion, narrowly beating Paulo Thigo and winning a disputed points verdict against Martin Kampman does not bold well for the chances against Ellenberger who style wise has the best chance of any UFC 170lbs of toppling GSP.

Ellenberger has serious power in his hands, Sanchez will not want to throw trade and come forward like he did against Kampman otherwise it could lights out, Ellenberger is also a decent wrestler and strong enough to overpower Sanchez.

I see Sanchez lasting a round or so and attempting a few takedowns which will be stuffed before Ellenberger takes over and turns Sanchez to mush, either winning a lopsided decesion or finishing him of with strikes late in the fight.

Dave Herman is back as well!

• Paid Members

That first paragraph is a joke. Why would Dana have given Condit an improved contract with better terms to take the Diaz re-match if he already knew that Diaz had failed a drugs test. That just makes no sense at all!

Erm, I dunno how else I should have worded it to be totally honest.

What I meant by that paragraph was this: The original tweet accused Condit of only accepting the rematch when Dana told him about Diaz failing the drug test. My point was, why would Dana, while he's informing Condit of the failure, be still offering him a rematch with someone who would obviously be suspended and not available for said rematch?

If we believe that accusation then the Dana/Condit conversation must have went something like;

Dana: Hey Carlos just letting you know Nick Diaz failed his drug test and will probably be suspended for a while. That rematch we wanted to do won't be happening.

Condit: I accept the offer of a rematch with Nick Diaz.

That's what doesn't make sense, and that's what they're claiming Condit did. That doesn't sound likely to me is all I meant.

• Paid Members
Stephen Thompson Vs. Matt Brown at UFC 145

outstanding. I think that may make the main card too. The post-fight stuff between these two was interesting after UFC 143. Brown was kinda questioning Thompson's opponent as if Thompson had been fed a can so to speak so that he could look good, he then called out Thompson so this should be great.

outstanding. I think that may make the main card too. The post-fight stuff between these two was interesting after UFC 143. Brown was kinda questioning Thompson's opponent as if Thompson had been fed a can so to speak so that he could look good, he then called out Thompson so this should be great.

Brown is a fine one to talk about being fed people. Who was it he beat at the same card? Oh yes, the now 5-3 Chris Cope, who has really set the UFC alight in his performances and is more known for being the irritant who spends most of the time going 'Whoooooo'.

Fantastic kick, but his opponent didn't really look like he had a clue. The way he stood there after the kick was incredibly cocky and I do thing that doing something like that does make the ref stop afight when it may not have been normally stopped. At least follow it up, with a few punches before the ref steps in.

there's the video of the Michael Page fight from last week's UCMMA show...this is how you make an MMA debut.

Uk Anderson silva my arse, he came off as a complete cunt wave his arms about too cocky for me basically he faced someone who was completely out of his depth. I hope someone smashes Michael Page's face in I cant stand people who act like asses in the cage no need for it.

Archived