The MMA General News & Events Thread

David

It's not a real sport though, is it? When a team in football, soccer, hockey or whatever wins a semi-final or a title eliminator they don't rematch the game simply because the NHL, NFL etc didn't get the final they wanted.

I hope Condit loses the rematch, as I'll then be able to read forums such as this in the build-up to Diaz/GSP where people will be building it up as a close fight only to cry when Diaz gets taken apart by GSP. After seeing how easily Condit dealt with him him on the feet i'm relishing the damage that GSP will do to Diaz. Can you imagine Diaz continually walking forward towards George? He'll get killed to death.

That's not even taking into account the fact that GSP will have the option to take Diaz down and hold him down.

GSP would have had a tougher fight against Condit, no doubt.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
That's the job of all sporting organisations? Saying MMA & Boxing are different is a cop out. The NBA/NFL/NHL/MLB all make their money from TV, Sponsorship, ticket sales etc. What's the difference?

Hundreds of years of being established and accepted as a mainstream sport. MMA is a fringe sport in it's infancy which can still live or die based on ratings and buyrates, so accordingly they have to promote in a manner to always appeal to the mass audience. They don't have the luxury of being a sport people grew up with, considered a staple of society, so if they go with fights mass audiences aren't interested in (Condit Vs Ellenberger as a PPV main event, for example) they run the risk of bombing and ultimately dying. The cemetery of dead MMA promotions is filled with companies ran by promoters who didn't understand this.

From Wrestling Observer/F4W:

The Nick Diaz vs. Carlos Condit rematch that Dana White confirmed last night fell apart due to something related to the Diaz camp.

The story was first broken by Observer message board poster Front Row Brian this morning, who has been one of the most reliable sources of breaking news information. Cesar Gracie, the manager of Diaz has confirmed that the fight is not taking place and that he would be talking to Ariel Helwani on the subject. At this point UFC has not confirmed anything has changed.

It appears there will be more to come on this story as the day goes on.

UFC.com has a poll on who won Condit-Diaz. Results: Condit: 47%, Diaz: 47%. Too close to call: 6%

This is one of the main reasons a rematch is a good idea.

Some fights there are really no winners, they are either too close to call or it is based on a opinion of what you class as winning a fight (for example pressing the action impresses some judges and fans, whilst others prefer volume of strikes or who has the more effective gamplan or control) it is not as absolute as other sports like NBA and NHL where it is not opinion based, it is just the team who scores more points wins.

A good example of this would be Lenard Garcia, who won fights where he was outlanded and in my opinion outclassed, but due to him moving forward he won in the opinion of the judges at cageside, now Nick Diaz came forward, pressed the action and landed more powerful punches on Saturday night, but the opinion of the judges was they favored the counter strikes. leg kicks and gameplan of Condit. Different judges are going to have different opinions, so are fans.

Unless there is a definative ending (submission or KO) or a clear cut better fighter who wins the vast majority of the fight, there is always going to be arguments in MMA to who really won, it is just the nature of the sport.

A rematch offers a chance to see who is the better man, because as of right now judging on that poll and what I read elsewhere it is pretty 50/50 on who won on Saturday night. There is no guarentee if the rematch happens that there will be a absolute winner on the night, but at least it allows a chance for it. That is good enough for me.

I think a rematch is also a good idea given the state of 170lbs which I discussed earlier in the thread. Given the state of play, it does not ruin the integrity of the sport as much as some are making out.

• Paid Members

Just flicked over to Cage Rage, that knockout was fucking mental! Didn't catch the guy's name but it was a big black fella who was dancing about like Anderson Silva, and he KO'd the guy with like a spinning kick with the trailing leg. It was nuts. I think the show's UCMMA 26.

• Paid Members
Just flicked over to Cage Rage, that knockout was fucking mental! Didn't catch the guy's name but it was a big black fella who was dancing about like Anderson Silva, and he KO'd the guy with like a spinning kick with the trailing leg. It was nuts. I think the show's UCMMA 26.

yeh dude's name was Michael Page, crazy KO. It was his MMA debut, i'll definitly be looking out for him on future shows, cocky fucker.

Loved the Cory Tait fight later in the show too, they were building him as the 'new Anderson Silva' and he got KO'd in 10 seconds :laugh:

Typical kind of UCMMA show though, the opening Middleweight fight was really good but after that it was the usual bunch of ridiculous mis-matches, UCMMA is a weird promotion.

• Paid Members

from Cesar Gracie:

"Yeah, I said that (there will be no rematch). But that's all I can say. I can't say anything else. I can't do anything. Quote that if you want to. There is not going to be a rematch. Other than that, that's all I can say."

from Cesar Gracie:

"Yeah, I said that (there will be no rematch). But that's all I can say. I can't say anything else. I can't do anything. Quote that if you want to. There is not going to be a rematch. Other than that, that's all I can say."

Has anyone heard the rumour that Diaz has apparently failed the pre-UFC 143 drug test for marijuana? If he has he'll be banned for 6-12 months.

Apparently the UFC will be mentioning the reasons why the rematch is off the table tomorrow. All sides had agreed to the fight, but this has put a stick in the spokes.

Archived