The MMA General News & Events Thread

David

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Diaz fan I am glad he is are getting a rematch, it also helps that I thought Diaz won by a very narrow margin.

UFC typically gives immediate title rematches when the scorecards are either close or the majority believe them to be wrong, a recent example would be Penn vs Edgar or Machida vs Shogun.

If GSP was ready I would understand people being annoyed, but he is not back until November/December time which is almost a year a way, Condit sitting out almost a year is not somthing I would like to happen, as he is in his prime and is becoming a big star after headlining the Superbowl card.

I guess you could argue that Ellenberger should face Condt for the inteirn title instead, but he may lose to Sanchez in a week or so. They could have waited to see if Ellenberger would have won, but I think the majority of the public would prefer Diaz vs Condit 2 after the disputed points verdict. Outside Ellenberger or Diaz, I do not think anyone else has a claim to fight Condit.

Koscheck and Hendricks have not done enough, both are at least 1 fight away from having a title shot, in the case of Koscheck 2 or 3. Rory Mcdonald is not ready yet and Fitch could knocked out in his last fight.

Condit has a bit to gain, if he beats Diaz again on FOX he will become a bigger star and make a lot of money as there is major interest there for this fight. He can also silence a lot of critics who thought Diaz won and really set himself up for GSP without getting rusty due to lack of fighting.

I am really down for this fight, keeps 170lbs interesting as well after years of it being the GSP show.

• Paid Members
Ok then, he will be getting peanuts!? Are you serious? Of course he will be getting paid a shit load of cash. Being a UFC headliner, he automatically gets a cut of the PPV buyrates.

You've basically supported my point though by stating "The simple fact is there ARE people who think Condit won as well". The important aspect is in bold. If you have read my posts in UFC 143 thread, i've stated that i can see how many people thought Condit won. But in the end, there are alot of people who believe the result could have gone either way. Considering what is at stake here, the right thing to do is offer a rematch.

If Condit wins again, more people will buy into Condit as being a credible challenger to GSP. At the moment, he has this win hanging over his head with some people questioning it, rightly or wrongly.

I didnt say he would be getting peanuts, No one knows what his final pay is apart from him and the UFC. Not all headliners get a cut of the UFC buys though, don't know where you got that from. They get undeclared bonuses (which as far as I know are not directly linked to buys) but only a select few get PPV percentage

Im also not arguing over if he won or not and I have read the other thread, I was just commenting on you going off on a tangent. My point was that he officially won the fight and a shot at GSP and he is gaining nothing from a rematch and does have everything to lose.

Being a UFC headliner, he automatically gets a cut of the PPV buyrates.

Headlining a UFC PPV doesn't mean you get a cut of the buyrate. Only certain fighters (GSP, Anderson Silva, Rampage ect.) get that.

Meltzer said about 29 fighters have a PPV percentage cut in their contracts, the likes of Cain got a big bonus for taking the JDS fight on Fox and giving up that money.

• Paid Members
Ok then, he will be getting peanuts!? Are you serious? Of course he will be getting paid a shit load of cash. Being a UFC headliner, he automatically gets a cut of the PPV buyrates.

You've basically supported my point though by stating "The simple fact is there ARE people who think Condit won as well". The important aspect is in bold. If you have read my posts in UFC 143 thread, i've stated that i can see how many people thought Condit won. But in the end, there are alot of people who believe the result could have gone either way. Considering what is at stake here, the right thing to do is offer a rematch.

If Condit wins again, more people will buy into Condit as being a credible challenger to GSP. At the moment, he has this win hanging over his head with some people questioning it, rightly or wrongly.

I didnt say he would be getting peanuts, No one knows what his final pay is apart from him and the UFC. Not all headliners get a cut of the UFC buys though, don't know where you got that from. They get undeclared bonuses (which as far as I know are not directly linked to buys) but only a select few get PPV percentage

Im also not arguing over if he won or not and I have read the other thread, I was just commenting on you going off on a tangent. My point was that he officially won the fight and a shot at GSP and he is gaining nothing from a rematch and does have everything to lose.

Fair enough, i will retract the PPV statement. However, the point was that irrespective of what the income actually is, it will be a massive pay cheque. That to me, is not a "nothing to lose" scenario. He is defending his belt against a high level opponent who is becoming himself a massive draw. He may lose his shot at GSP, but personally I don't see that as a scenario where he has nothing to gain. If he beats Diaz again, he himself becomes a bigger draw.

When it comes down to it, I would like to see the rematch happen, along with with many other fans.

If the decision had went the way of Diaz, does anyone seriously believe we'd be seeing a rematch?

No because Diaz would have refused the fight even if it was offered. Diaz wouldn't have anything to gain out of a rematch (other than money), whereas Condit can gain a lot from achieving a more dominant win over Diaz.

• Paid Members
If the decision had went the way of Diaz, does anyone seriously believe we'd be seeing a rematch?

Depends how close the fight was. If Diaz had won this fight same way Condit did (by a very close judgement that allot of people disagree with) then yes we would. If somebody had Ko'ed the other guy or won clear then no, Sonnen won 5 rounds vs Anderson and then got choked out clean no controversy, he had to earn his re-match, Machida beat Shogun on points in what was a controversial win and Shogun got a re-match right away.

This is the card for UFC on FUEL TV 2:

MAIN CARD (FUEL TV)

Alexander Gustafsson vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira

Alessio Sakara vs. Brian Stann

Siyar Bahadurzada vs. Paulo Thiago

DaMarques Johnson vs. John Maguire

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook)

Damacio Page vs. Brad Pickett

Diego Nunes vs. Dennis Siver

Akira Corassani vs. Jason Young

Papy Abedi vs. James Head

Cyrille Diabate vs. Jorgen Kruth

Francis Carmont vs. Magnus Cedenblad

Simeon Thoresen vs. Besam Yousef

Is anyone else surprised that Nunes vs Siver is on the undercard? That is way more deserving of a main card spot than Johnson vs Maguire and Paulo Thiago's fight imo.

• Paid Members
Sonnen won 5 rounds vs Anderson and then got choked out clean no controversy, he had to earn his re-match

He was going to get a rematch right away and then he got suspended which scuppered that plan.

Was he 100% sure? I don't remember anything that said he defo would have at the time. Why should he I mean he lost fair and square then later on the found the rounds he won was tainted due his failing of the drug test.

Don't get me wrong, i'll certainly be watching the fight, but Dana & the UFC should cut out the cringeworthy talk of MMA (and the UFC in particular) being the biggest "sport" in the world one day.

Instances like this show that it's not even close to being a legitimate sport. I'm not sure how it's viewed in England, but over here it's basically looked at as wrestling for adults. And that's cool, don't get me wrong, but they're bullshitting everyone when they claim to be a sport.

Archived