The MMA General News & Events Thread

David

• Paid Members

i dont think the Grove/Silva fight was aired so it aint really a spoiler. Very surprised at the result, Grove seemed to be on his way back to the big league but thats a big setback. I see it as either a case of Grove completely gassing out to get submitted, or he just underestimated the ground game of Silva and just got caught, it was Silva's first submission win. Im interested to see it.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brian Stann has bagged a permanent job as the analyst on future Fox shows, he did the Fuel post-fight show and apparently did a great job (i didnt see it), gotta be better than Jon Jones (who was terrible).

Brian Stann is proving an invaluable asses to the UFC.

Yeah he did a good job, glad to see him get it full time.

He was very knowledgeable and unbiased (a couple of the fights featured team-mates).

• Paid Members

Cheers for that, I'll have a read of that in a bit. I like Anik, seems like a genuine fan and he's doing a good job on commentary I think.

Just seen this aswell for anyone who's interested. FightDVD's listings for the Best Of 2011 DVD

Disc 1

Cain Velasquez vs Junior Dos Santos

Cheick Kongo Vs Pay Barry

Minotauro Nogueira vs Brendan Schaub

Frank Mir vs Minotauro Nogueira

Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem

Shogun Rua vs Jon Jones

Jon Jones vs Rampage Jackson

Tito Ortiz vs Ryan Bader

Rashad Evans vs Tito Ortiz

Randy Couture vs Lyoto Machida

Jon Jones vs Lyoto Machida

Shogun Rua vs Forrest Griffin

Shogun Rua vs Dan Henderson

Anderson Silva vs Vitor Belfort

Anderson Silva vs Yushin Okami

Chael Sonnen vs Brian Stann

Vitor Belfort vs Yoshihiro Akiyama

Wanderlei Silva vs Chris Leben

Wanderlei Silva vs Cung Le

Georges St-Pierre vs Jake Shields

Carlos Condit vs Dong-hyun Kim

BJ Penn vs Nick Diaz

Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard 2

Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard 3

Clay Guida vs Benson Henderson

Donald Cerrone

Jos

• Paid Members

On the UK TV deal, I just saw this on Cage Warriors, apparently ESPN maybe still possible to keep UFC

john o'regan @johnjoeoregan Close

@FrontRowBrian @MonoKNE - obrigado comrade FRB. Apparently the situation is moving apace and ESPN UK is not completely out of the running

john o'regan @johnjoeoregan Close

UK UFC fans-do NOT cancel your ESPN deal just yet.We got contacted and asked to remove article presently on FO site as "things have changed"

ESPN statement

ESP

If anyone is interested, I spoke with Jon Anik last night. He's one awesome dude and had a lot to say about calling live fights again, taking a job with the UFC etc - http://www.fullmount.co.uk/index.php/mma-n...s-tuf-and-more-

Anik always comes across as a genuine nice bloke with a real love of the sport, happy things are going well for him.

Good interview man, keep up the good work!

• Paid Members
On the UK TV deal, I just saw this on Cage Warriors, apparently ESPN maybe still possible to keep UFC

Interesting. I doubt UFC will stay though. I think Lorenzo making comments the other day about ESPN holding them back over here is the nail in the coffin. Lorenzo never says anything negative usually, I think that piece ESPN did in the US on fighter pay has soured him on the whole company. And if they do have possible options to go with Sky, Five or FX then I can see them making a deal with one of them more likely.

I really hope ESPN manage to keep hold of them. I think if it goes to Sky were steadily looking at a PPV model, and I'd hate for them to land up on Channel 5, everything they put out just looks grim. It'll be stuck at a stupid timeslot with zero promotion behind it.

ESPN are fucking mad if they don't do all they can to salvage this deal. A steady increase of viewers over the last 10 months and surely more to come. I'm sure the UFC are asking for a handy sum, but being the sole provider of UFC in the UK is a great position to be in.

Interesting. I doubt UFC will stay though. I think Lorenzo making comments the other day about ESPN holding them back over here is the nail in the coffin. Lorenzo never says anything negative usually, I think that piece ESPN did in the US on fighter pay has soured him on the whole company. And if they do have possible options to go with Sky, Five or FX then I can see them making a deal with one of them more likely.

I really hope ESPN manage to keep hold of them. I think if it goes to Sky were steadily looking at a PPV model, and I'd hate for them to land up on Channel 5, everything they put out just looks grim. It'll be stuck at a stupid timeslot with zero promotion behind it.

ESPN are fucking mad if they don't do all they can to salvage this deal. A steady increase of viewers over the last 10 months and surely more to come. I'm sure the UFC are asking for a handy sum, but being the sole provider of UFC in the UK is a great position to be in.

I agree, I hope it stays with ESPN also. I think the issue they have with ESPN at the moment is that they didn't want to pay out extra cash to get all the prelims/ultimate fighter shows that were not included in the original contract. If ESPN were willing to pay for everything in one lump sum then I'm sure the UFC will be happy dealing with them again.

The only advantage of Five is that they could possibly show all the Fuel/FX prelims on a channel like 5* or 5USA and then the PPV starts over on the main Fice channel. ESPN only has one channel where they can really put stuff and I don't think they would want their schedule to be UFC from 12-6 practically every week. Hence they may not want to pay for all the prelims and I'm sure the UFC would want to get them shown somewhere if possible.

Sky however with 4 channels could easily block out this time. Although I do believe for certain shows we would end up seeing 12-3 prelims on Sky Sports 3 and then the PPV would be on Sky Box Office. I'm not sure if UFC would want to go down this road yet though, they would most likely want to build the UFC brand more in the UK first. Perhaps they could could come to an arrangement of 1/2 years of everything free and then starting moving things over.

I can't see Five being able to be the sole provider of UFC content in the UK as they won't be able to show the PPV's live due to thier contract to show that rubbish poker programme during the night this was also the contract that caused five to shelve all there american sport output at the end of 2009. I could see Five picking up some content though maybe that Ashes version of the Ultiamtie Fighter that has been talked about.

I'm pretty sure the currant issues with ESPN not showing all the content is not down to money completly and is partly issues with the schudule becuase they only have one channel and so as such with the UFC putting out more shows they simply have commitments to show other sports like the NBA in the middle of the night and as such are not going to spend when they already have programming to put out and quotas to meet.

I'm pretty sure the currant issues with ESPN not showing all the content is not down to money completly and is partly issues with the schudule becuase they only have one channel and so as such with the UFC putting out more shows they simply have commitments to show other sports like the NBA in the middle of the night and as such are not going to spend when they already have programming to put out and quotas to meet.

ESPN have three channels actually: ESPN, ESPN America & ESPN Classics.

ESPN regularly use all three channels to show other live sporting events if there is a clash. I can remember there being a UFC Fight Night event (possibly the first Troops show IIRC) being shown on ESPN America because of a big NBA game being on the normal ESPN channel and they've shown live football matches on ESPN Classics before when there has been multiple games on. So its not like its an issue of scheduling, its completely monetary really.

Just seen this aswell for anyone who's interested. FightDVD's listings for the Best Of 2011 DVD

Not sure exactly how many of them are in full but that's a hell of a DVD line up there. With such a stacked year there's bound to be some omissions but that's still a really strong bunch of fights there. Anyone who hasn't been keeping up with MMA the last year and missed a lot of stuff I'd recommend picking this up. The best year in UFC history.

I doubt all of the fights will be shown complete like the UFC Best of 2010 DVD (highly recommend it) which had 23 complete fights on it. Out of the fights listed, these are the fights for me which certainly should be shown in their entirety:

Cain Velasquez vs Junior Dos Santos (Historical purposes)

Minotauro Nogueira vs Brendan Schaub (The feel good result of 2011)

Cheick Kongo vs Pat Barry (The best one round UFC fight in 2011)

Frank Mir vs Minotauro Nogueira (even though the result sucks)

Shogun Rua vs Dan Henderson (Most people's Fight of the Year, not mine)

Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard 2 (The 2011 Fight of the Year and one of the best fights of all time)

Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard 3 (The concluding fight of the trilogy)

Clay Guida vs Benson Henderson (One of 2011's best fights)

Jos

• Paid Members

its a great lineup, it skimps on some smaller figths that were really good though. It seems them sets tend to just feature the big fights. Your probably better off getting the US Blu Ray too, ive picked up the Best of's (2008-2010) and you get around 25 full length fights as a bonus feature.

I love the best of blu rays that they do. Im surprised there's none of Rory Mcdonalds matches on there. His fights with diaz and condit were very good. I hope they at least do a feature on him.

It is a shame they don't feature a few more fights with lesser "name" guys though.

Archived