The MMA General News & Events Thread

David

I'm hoping Dan gets back onto a winning streak, he's a good bloke and has obviously used the time off to improve on his ground game. The only reason he wasn't released after losing 3 in a row is because he is marketable to the UFC, but I fear another loss and he will be out on his arse, or at least signed up to Strikeforce.

Four in a row actually (GSP, Condit, Johnson, Lytle). But yeah, if he was anything other than English he'd have been canned after the Johnson fight.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Hardy/Bang is pretty much a perfect comeback fight for Hardy. Bang's recently came out saying that for him, MMA is more a case of just being in exciting fights rather than chasing titles, so i think your gonna get too like-minded bangers going at it. I probably favour favour Ludwig technically but i think Hardy's the most durable of the two so i think it's a very winnable fight for The Outlaw.

I have to question whether loses to GSP and Condit really count towards the 3 strikes and your out approach from the UFC.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing! No-one was saying that at the time, and everyone on here was saying how Hardy was going to beat Condit comfortably, how Condit is not in his league, how Hardy will knock him out (even though he knocks out no-one) etc.

I have to question whether loses to GSP and Condit really count towards the 3 strikes and your out approach from the UFC.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing! No-one was saying that at the time, and everyone on here was saying how Hardy was going to beat Condit comfortably, how Condit is not in his league, how Hardy will knock him out (even though he knocks out no-one) etc.

Who was the one who called the Condit KO in round one? Oh aye... ME!!! Even when he faced the Stun Gun, I was trying to tell people how it was gonna go. One of the most under-rated fighters in UFC history.

• Paid Members

Thought some of you might find this amusing, from MMAmania.com

While he is yet to make his UFC debut, Sean Loeffler might just be the most interesting man in the promotion.

"The Destroyer" was so excited to be on the UFC roster that he actually named his new puppy "Zuffa," although a freak backstage injury prevented him from fighting last Wednesday night at UFC on Fuel TV against Buddy Roberts.

The 29 year old middleweight hasn't gone past the first round in his last 20 fights and has traveled all over the world to compete in both sanctioned and unsanctioned mixed martial arts fights.

In doing so, he's experienced some pretty wild and crazy things.

During his appearance on The Verbal Submission, Loeffler told some of the most insane stories about the early days of his MMA career when he was fighting in po-dunk promotions all around the world. We've got one for you today and it's a doozy.

This one involved cockfights, rats and thieves in the Philippines. Check it out:

(Warning R-Rated language inside)

We'll let Sean Loeffler take over from here:

"I'll tell you something else. I fucking fought in the Philippines once where they had this dirt circle that we fought in. It was 2002 in a dirt circle and they had all different kinds of fights there.

Before I fought, they had a cock fight and they have these rooster fights and the rooster gets like fucked up because they put little razor blades on the feet of it and it bleeds everywhere and just falls over, I thought the rooster died. So they hand the rooster over to like this 12 year old kid and the 12 year old kid uses dental floss and sewed the cut back together and then they shoot them with like smelling salts and the roosters wake back up and then they just change the odds on the next fight and throw the same fucked up rooster back in there but it's got worse odds the next time until the fucking rooster dies.

So I'm sitting there backstage and I'm like, 'Well, I don't think I'm gonna get an early stoppage at this venue.'

Then right before my fight, they're like, 'Hey, we're gonna do one more fight before you guys,' and there were Thai fights and there were these Kali fights where two little brown people beat the fuck out of each other with sticks and then right before we box, they put in like six rats and a dog and the dog was fighting the six rats. This is all on the same fucking dirt that we're fighting on.

I'm like, 'That's disgusting,' and so then, I'm thinking to myself, 'This dog is just gonna fucking eat these rats,' and the dog gets killed by the rats, like instantly. The rats just fucked up the dog.

I'm sitting there looking at my coach and my coach is like, 'Alright, we've gotta just go, fight, and then leave,' and then the promoter comes into the locker room and he's like, 'Hey, people here don't understand ground game and grappling so just keep it standing,' and I go, 'This is an MMA fight,' and he says, 'Yeah, we know, but just don't go to the ground and wrestle around because there's guts and shit on the ground and just keep it standing.'

And my coach is like, 'Well what happens if we take it down?' and he goes, 'Well, we're gonna stop it and we're gonna take a point away.' You're gonna take a point away if I shoot a fucking takedown? I looked at my coach and said, 'This is some Jean-Claude Van Damme bullshit,' and he's like, 'Well just go in there and throw punches.'

So I go fight this local guy, he's this huge buff black dude but I know he doesn't know much about fighting but he's just this American guy who lives in the Philippines now and he's super buff. He goes to get in the cage and he looks at the ref and the ref goes, 'Cup and mouthpiece,' and he doesn't have a mouthpiece or a cup, but he looks at the ref and he goes, 'Get the fuck out of my way!'

So the ref just moves out of the way and I'm like shaking, terrified now. I'm not allowed to take this guy down, he doesn't know anything and he just told the ref to get the fuck out of his way because he doesn't have a cup or mouthpiece. I literally just closed my eyes and threw a knee and he was on the ground. I knocked him out with a knee and I was just like, 'Oh my god. Thank god!'

We went out the back door and we had to walk down this alleyway to our hotel with my coach. Some guy came up to us and he was like, 'Hey, congrats man. Good fight! Good fight!' and I was like, 'Thanks,' and he robbed us right afterwards.

He was like, 'Good fight! How much did you make?' and I was like, 'Oh, they just gave me $300,' and he goes, 'Oh, they gave it to you?' and I go, 'Yeah,' and he says, 'Usually they don't pay the guys.' I was like, 'Yeah, they gave it to us,' and he's like, 'Cool,' and then he pulls out a box cutter and he's like, 'I'm gonna need that.'

I'm like, 'What are you talking about?' I thought he was gonna help me cut my gloves off because he had a box cutter so I put my hands out and he's like, 'What are you doing?' and I was like, 'Aren't you gonna help me?' and he goes, 'No, I'm gonna need the money or I'm gonna stab you,' and I'm like, 'God dammit! Fuck this place! Are you kidding me?'

My coach goes, 'Just give him the money,' and we gave him the money and the promoter actually ended up paying us another $300 which was pretty cool but then we just sat at the airport until our flight left.

I've been a part of some pretty crazy shit. Zuffa runs their show just a little more legit than those organizations."

• Paid Members

Kyle Kingsbury announced via his twitter that he will be first to face Glover Texiera May 26th in Vegas. (UFC 146) In fact UFC 146 is looking ace already.

Jason “Mayhem” Miller vs. C.B. Dollaway

Dan Hardy vs. Duane Ludwig

Glover Teixeira vs. Kyle Kingsbury

Shane Del Rosario vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

Diego Brandao vs. Darren Elkins

Paul Sass vs. Jacob Volkmann

Edson Barboza vs. Evan Dunham

Alistair Overeem vs. Junior dos Santos (UFC Heavyweight Champion)*

*(Unconfirmed)

• Paid Members

pretty irrelevant but did anyone notice that Chris Eubank Jr's opponent last Saturday night (headlining the Channel 5 boxing card) was UK MMA veteran and current BAMMA fighter Jason Ball?

i missed the fight, anyone catch it?

• Paid Members

Is anyone planning on going to the MMA Show Live in May at the Birmingham NEC? The lineup of guests is amazing thus far, going to make SENI look like an also ran..

THE MMA SHOW LIVE LINEUP GROWS AGAIN!

RASHAD EVANS, BRITTNEY PALMER, JAKE SHIELDS AND MORE JOIN THE SHOW

//FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE//

Wednesday February 22nd, Birmingham, UK

It was confirmed today that UFC Octagon girl and Playboy cover star Brittney Palmer and UFC title contender Rashad Evans have joined 6 more fighters in the ever increasing line-up for The MMA Show Live being held on May 12th and 13th at The NEC in Birmingham.

In addition, kickboxing prodigy and rising UFC star Stephen

Archived