The MMA General News & Events Thread

David

• Paid Members

After how great the Ellenberger vs Sanchez fight was Dana White is now making all main events made from now on 5 rounds and said he was pissed off at himself that he never made last night's fight a 5 rounder.

"I'm actually pissed at myself about it, so yeah. We blew it tonight. It should have been a five-round fight."

The upcoming Alves vs Kampmann and Little Nog vs Gustafsson fights will still be 3 rounds because the bout agreements were already in place a while ago but after that it's 5 rounds for every main event regardless of where it airs.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

For me I'm torn on what would be the best option for UFC. If i'm honest I'd rather see them on Sky Sports. Part of me would like to one day see the UFC/MMA as part of accepted mainstream sports, and putting it on Sky Sports would go a long way in achieving that. They would also have access to a 24hr sports news service (Sky sports News) possibly providing updates as well.

Then, simply from an access point of view Channel 5. Problem with Channel 5 is it's now associated with more reality TV based garbage.

I think Sky or Channel 5 might get the rights. On Sky I think the PPV's would either be shown free to air, some free while the others you pay for or worse all PPV so the WWE PPV model. Channel 5 has shown the odd hourly program of past UFC events but its hit and miss when they do, mostly miss. FX is another possibility.

Then, simply from an access point of view Channel 5. Problem with Channel 5 is it's now associated with more reality TV based garbage.

Doesn't bother me as I'd look past it.

i know its kinda irrelevant but Chandella Powell has been sacked as a ring girl from the UFC...she had an alias:

NSFW

:D :D

My least favourite Octagon girl. No loss she's gone.

• Paid Members
I think Sky or Channel 5 might get the rights. On Sky I think the PPV's would either be shown free to air, some free while the others you pay for or worse all PPV so the WWE PPV model. Channel 5 has shown the odd hourly program of past UFC events but its hit and miss when they do, mostly miss. FX is another possibility.

i know its kinda irrelevant but Chandella Powell has been sacked as a ring girl from the UFC...she had an alias:

NSFW

That's the thing, it not you that UFC should be worrying about. I know it doesn't bother you as you are current fan and will watch wherever. However, associating with a channel like 5 will not do the UFC any favours in regards to being accepted in the mainstream as legitimate sport. That, to me, is their priority.

NSFW

That's the thing, it not you that UFC should be worrying about. I know it doesn't bother you as you are current fan and will watch wherever. However, associating with a channel like 5 will not do the UFC any favours in regards to being accepted in the mainstream as legitimate sport. That, to me, is their priority.

I agree with what you are saying. I hope others would look past Channel 5's content and watch UFC. Out of BBC 1, 2 ITV, Channel 4 and 5, 5 lokks to be the only one which would go out to get the UFC on it's station.

• Paid Members

NSFW

When I saw you said she had an alias I thought her true identity had finally been discovered, hopefully in classic Scooby Doo style with the wig coming off to reveal

Danny-Glover-254x300.jpg

Yikes Scooby! It's Sgt Roger Murtaugh from Lethal Weapon. He'd have got away with it if it hadn't been for those pesky websites.

Seriously she was the least fit of the ring girls. I'm sure she's a nice enough girl but she's not there for her personality is she? And there's much better looking out there. Reading about this I found out Phil Davis is shagging her these days. That's probably the real reason she's gone, she won't gobble the boss anymore now she's getting Mr Wonderful's 'lethal weapon'.

• Paid Members

What's the deal with these Ultimate Fighter shows on the 9th and 25th of March? Not much has been said about what were getting. The whole line up looks very quiet for March. After Alves/Kampmann on 2nd, the next is Nog/Gustaffson on April 14th. Both being FX and Fuel shows.

• Paid Members

i know its kinda irrelevant but Chandella Powell has been sacked as a ring girl from the UFC...she had an alias:NSFW :D :D

When I saw you said she had an alias I thought her true identity had finally been discovered, hopefully in classic Scooby Doo style with the wig coming off to revealDanny-Glover-254x300.jpgYikes Scooby! It's Sgt Roger Murtaugh from Lethal Weapon. He'd have got away with it if it hadn't been for those pesky websites.Seriously she was the least fit of the ring girls. I'm sure she's a nice enough girl but she's not there for her personality is she? And there's much better looking out there. Reading about this I found out Phil Davis is shagging her these days. That's probably the real reason she's gone, she won't gobble the boss anymore now she's getting Mr Wonderful's 'lethal weapon'.
hahaha! ive never seen the Danny Glover similarity, it's there though!

• Paid Members

Brian Stann has bagged a permanent job as the analyst on future Fox shows, he did the Fuel post-fight show and apparently did a great job (i didnt see it), gotta be better than Jon Jones (who was terrible).

Brian Stann is proving an invaluable asses to the UFC.

• Paid Members

I'll put this in spoilers incase anyone's planning on watching it

Kendall Grove vs Jay Silva from Superior Cage Combat

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Grove got choked out. I know Grove's been hot and cold for a long time now but this surprised me. I haven't seen the fight yet so I dunno exactly how it played out but Grove's BJJ is very good. He's won a fair bit by submission and even Maia couldn't tap him. Jay Silva? Last time I saw him was when Hector Lombard smashed him in about 6 seconds. Obviously Lombard's an animal but still, this is a pretty big upset. Not so much the result but the way it happened.

And Sergio Pettis (Anthony's 18 year old brother) is making his Flyweight debut in May for North American Fighting Championship 'Colosseum'. He's only 3-0 at the minute but he finished all 3 and he's meant to be one to keep an eye on. If he stays active this year and gets a few fights in (providing he wins) I could see the UFC picking him up. Young, exciting style, recognizable surname and with Flyweight being the new UFC weightclass, they'll be signing up a load of new talent.

scaled_php.jpg

Archived