The MMA General News & Events Thread

David

• Paid Members
Does anyone know which channel, if any, is showing tomorrow night's UFC on Fuel TV card that is headlined by Diego Sanchez vs. Jake Ellenberger?

It's not being shown, ufc.tv only.

With the events on UFC.TV can they be watched the next day or do you have to watch them live?

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
To anyone who knows there K1 (which I only know bits and bobs) Mike Bernardo apperently commited suicide today, he was only 43.

He only fought in MMA once in 2001, but he beat Cro Cop in K1.

Jesus, that's a shocker.

I've dabbled in watching a bit of K-1 over the years but I'm not an expert or anything. When I do dip in it's usually K-1 MAX for the lighter fighters but I love a bit of 90s K-1 aswell. They were the real glory years of the company, with all the heavyweights like Hoost, Aerts, Le Banner, Schilt, Sefo, Hunt all on top of their games.

Bernardo was considered a top level K-1 fighter and a bit of a legend in Japan, mainly for his 3-0 record over Peter Aerts who was one of the very best in K-1 history. He also beat Andy Hug twice (who also died at a young age) and like you said Cro Cop.

He stopped Peter McNeeley (Mike Tyson's first opponent when he got out of jail in 95) in a round in a pro boxing match aswell.

It's a shame. Is it confirmed it was suicide?

• Paid Members

!

Tim Sylvia speaks to the Underground in hopes of starting a push to get him back in the UFC. I've always been a Tim detractor but ive always done it more for fun more than anything. I actually think he deserves another shot, if he can guarantee he comes in on weight i don't see why Tim doesn't deserve a shot on the prelims at least. The guy's always gets remembered for his losses but other than 5 flash losses he's only ever been defeated twice, it seems Tim's vunerable early but if you let him go past a minute he's a difficult guy to stop (5 of his losses come in under a minute!!)...i dont think many would argue that an in-shape Syvlia defeats a certain amount of the UFC heavyweights.

Ive put a tweet out to help with the push. Lets get Big Tim back in there!

• Paid Members
To anyone who knows there K1 (which I only know bits and bobs) Mike Bernardo apperently commited suicide today, he was only 43.

Jesus, that's a shocker.

I've dabbled in watching a bit of K-1 over the years but I'm not an expert or anything. When I do dip in it's usually K-1 MAX for the lighter fighters but I love a bit of 90s K-1 aswell. They were the real glory years of the company, with all the heavyweights like Hoost, Aerts, Le Banner, Schilt, Sefo, Hunt all on top of their games.

Bernardo was considered a top level K-1 fighter and a bit of a legend in Japan, mainly for his 3-0 record over Peter Aerts who was one of the very best in K-1 history. He also beat Andy Hug twice (who also died at a young age) and like you said Cro Cop.

He stopped Peter McNeeley (Mike Tyson's first opponent when he got out of jail in 95) in a round in a pro boxing match aswell.

holy shit!

K-1 was huge when i first got into this thing and i followed K-1 as much as a i could, it was at the time when the cross-over between MMA and K-1 was at it's peak. I watched lots of highlights video's and Bernado was always in them things. Sad news.

Bernado also had the misfortune of being involved in one of the worst 'MMA' fights of all time with Nobuhiko Takada (i say fight loosely).

Jesus, that's a shocker.

It looks that way. I heard yesterday on the Underground that a close friend had confirmed it and someone else said he was having personal problems.

http://www.fightersonlymag.com/content/new...icide-suspected

I remember watching a k1 documentary that showed the history of k1 up until 2004, Bernardo was one of the main characters throughout as the 2 wins over Hug were a big deal.

Also he was he was not 43 like I said earlier, he was only 42 when he passed away.

holy shit!

K-1 was huge when i first got into this thing and i followed K-1 as much as a i could, it was at the time when the cross-over between MMA and K-1 was at it's peak. I watched lots of highlights video's and Bernado was always in them things. Sad news.

Bernado also had the misfortune of being involved in one of the worst 'MMA' fights of all time with Nobuhiko Takada (i say fight loosely).

Yeah it is funny that all the k1 big names gave MMA a go besides Hug who passed away and Ernesto Hoost.

I have heard the fight with Takada was a sham like most of Takada's fights were.

• Paid Members
holy shit!

Yeah it is funny that all the k1 big names gave MMA a go besides Hug who passed away and Ernesto Hoost.

I have heard the fight with Takada was a sham like most of Takada's fights were.

yeh Takada was rotten for that kinda thing. It's like he wanted to promote legit fights yet he worked his own fights to make him seem the best at it. Only in Japan.

As for Andy Hug, he died before i got into the thing but i remember reading all kinds of stuff about him. I then got hold of a K-1 highlights video type thing and i swear Hug got KO'd in every fight he was featured in :( the video didnt do the guy any favours, doh!

• Paid Members

Good little article. I'd love to see it on 5 or FX. Especially 5, it would reach massive audiences. Tyson Fury's fights do very good numbers on there, although they're on at a much better time than most UFCs. I imagine UFC events would do well too even with the hour they're on, certainly more viewers than they get on ESPN. And the European cards would probably do great ratings at 8pm on 5.

One thing's for sure, it doesn't look likely to be staying on ESPN after the summer. Someone on Cage Warriors posted these tweets from Lorenzo Fertitta

Stevie_McN

why are UK fans always just an afterthought?

Lorenzo Fertitta

can't get a tv deal that makes sense

Monty

what channel will get the UFC in the UK when the ESPN deal is up??

Lorenzo Fertitta

not happy with espn

Amar Karia

ESPN is stopping MMA gaining maximum traction in the UK. Need a station with more views gain traction then Big Fight PPV.

Lorenzo Fertitta

agreed

When UFC leaves ESPN, so will I.

Good little article. I'd love to see it on 5 or FX. Especially 5, it would reach massive audiences. Tyson Fury's fights do very good numbers on there, although they're on at a much better time than most UFCs. I imagine UFC events would do well too even with the hour they're on, certainly more viewers than they get on ESPN. And the European cards would probably do great ratings at 8pm on 5.

One thing's for sure, it doesn't look likely to be staying on ESPN after the summer. Someone on Cage Warriors posted these tweets from Lorenzo Fertitta

Stevie_McN

why are UK fans always just an afterthought?

Lorenzo Fertitta

can't get a tv deal that makes sense

Monty

what channel will get the UFC in the UK when the ESPN deal is up??

Lorenzo Fertitta

not happy with espn

Amar Karia

ESPN is stopping MMA gaining maximum traction in the UK. Need a station with more views gain traction then Big Fight PPV.

Lorenzo Fertitta

agreed

When UFC leaves ESPN, so will I.

Its a daft question but could UFC take a page from TNA's book. TNA is the most watched wrestling show over he not because TNA is a better product compared to WWE but because is accessible for all on freeview.

UFC could but all the non PPV shows on freeview and hopefully live well not TUF maybe a day later.

But happy to hear the UFC and ESPN are possibly parting ways.

• Paid Members

Yeah I think they're staying away from PPV for a bit. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they at least try doing the UK UFC events on Box Office. Even if they did, it's only once a year so no big deal.

It would be great to see it all go to 5 but a deal with Sky Sports makes the most sense to me.

I could be wrong on this but on 5, although it would reach pretty much every home in the UK, I don't think it would get the promotion it needs. Going by their history of showing sports, I remember some good kickboxing on 5 a few years ago which never got advertised and was shown at 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning. They did the same with the live basketball and ice hockey they showed through the night aswell and again, very little ads for them so a lot of people probably didn't even know 5 showed any sport apart from the odd football games they show every few weeks.

The Tyson Fury fights recently did well on there but they were on at 8 or 9pm. How much advertising would 5 put into UFC when it's on at 3am? If it's anything like their efforts for basketball/ice hockey/baseball etc then chances are no-one but the hardcores would even know it's on there.

Whearas Sky could devote time on Sky Sports News and even do an MMA version of Ringside which would be great. Plus they could advertise it during breaks on big Boxing matches and Premier League games. Would be cool if they got Strikeforce on there aswell.

As long as we get to see it I'm happy. Having it on 5 would make it easier for a load of people who don't have Sky though. A deal with Channel 5 done right could be massive for the UFC over here. I just think Zuffa will end up going with Sky.

Archived