The Strikeforce Event Discussion Thread

David

I guess this example also shows why the UFC rushed Lesnar into a title shot so early.

If he had run into a Chad Griggs at the start of his UFC run he would have been nowhere near as lucrative a commodity for the company.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After watching Lashley's fight you can tell the guy has no defence, he gassed at the end of the first round and he has no source of attack except for the takedowns. The fact he doesn't even know how to throw a punch makes me believe that he'll get one more fight against Kimbo Slice or Batista then just fuck off.

• Paid Members
Jacare/Kennedy was closer than I expected.

You think so?

I really couldn't give Kennedy any rounds except for maybe the one where he got a major takedown. Jacare impressed the hell out of me with his standup, and made Kennedy look like he was out of his depth.

Jacare was never in any danger of losing that fight, whilst Kennedy never looked in it.

Yeah I should have put that better.It wasn't really close score wise but it was a very competitive fight.Kind of like the second Faber-Brown fight in a way where every round was close but you knew Brown was winning them.

Some of the early rounds were pretty close and I thought Kennedy won the first round slightly with the knockdown and the strong finish.I had Jacare winning the 2nd,3rd and 4th.The 5th could've went either way the striking was fairly even Jacare got his back but Kennedy got that suplex at the end.

Jacare was the clear winner no doubt,he deffo won that fight and I didn't really get why Kennedy was belly aching so much to be honest.Kennedy did quite well in the stand up (infact that Compustrike thing actually had him landing more strikes but I thought Jacare's were more damaging) and got a few nice takedowns but he wasn't able to do anything with them and Jacare got the better of most of the rounds and seemed the fresher man at the end.

Jacare looked good.His striking's getting better all the time and he seems to have improved his cardio.Wouldn't mind seeing Jacare vs Mayhem again and Diaz vs Noons.

I've seen that David has edited the thread title, and the next event is Kaufman vs Coenan. I thought that the winner of the elimination tournament i.e. Meisha Tate had the next crack at Kaufman?

Marloes Coenen was named as the #1 contender to Kaufman before the tournament took place. She'll be dropping down to her natural weight class of 135lbs after her loss to Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos at 145lbs.

Meisha Tate is next in line, and will face the winner.

Apparently.

Cheers for the info David. Still seems daft that the number one contender lost her previous fight (even if it was in a higher weight class).

• Paid Members

not a good night for Strikeforce as a company, two of company 'faces' got fucked up.

* The backlash on Bobby Lashley is kind of called for, but for 2 rounds he was comfortably winning the fight. The disressing thing was that as soon as it got a little rough in there you could see the fight just disappear out of him. His reluctance to do anything standing made it easy for Griggs to catch Lashley shooting in because he was so predictable. From the moment Lashley was cut it looked like he wanted out of there. It's hard to see where he goes from here, there's always going to be questions whether his heart is really in the sport, and this damaged the potential Lashley/Batista fight a little, but surely that has to happen now? It's ratings and it's fairly clear that Lashley isn't going on the title run people expected, Coker might as well cash in.

* Jorge Gurgel did exactly what everyone expected and he paid the price big time. Them 2 left hooks were fucking devastating. Gurgel will always be the crowd pleaser but to slug it out with a pro boxer the caliber of Noons is just asking for trouble. I don't even think they should have let Gurgel go out for round 2, he was clearly out of it. The knee after the bell was instinctive but i felt could have been punished...although the ref. had half stopped the fight when it landed. They have to do Noons/Diaz II, and why not set up Gurgel/Huen II? headline a Challengers with that, i'll be watching.

* Jacare/Kennedy was a very frustrating fight to watch. Tim Kennedy was kind of fucked from the opening bell, he clearly didn't want to put Jacare on the floor and he got picked apart in the standup. Like everyone's said Kennedy landed more, but i don't think he landed 3 meaningful strikes all night...this isn't how Kennedy got to the title shot picture, he did it by pressuring guys, getting on top of them and beating them up, Jacare's BJJ pedigree put a stop to that gameplan. Both guys lacked a killer instinct for the World Title fight though, i was pretty disappointed...but that's how fights go sometimes.

* King Mo :( Feijao looked huge for 205, they looked they were in two different divisions. Good fight, but it was very surprising that Feijao was getting up so easily once he was taken down, it was Mo's best route to victory and it was snuffed early. If Feijao stays focused he's going to be hard to beat, his standup is deadly. Dunno where they go with this next though? Mike Kyle deserves a shot because he beat Feijao recently, but i ain't sure if that fight sells...maybe stick it under the next Fedor fight? Mo seems like the kind of guy who'll go back and work hard though to fix his mistakes, hopefully he does.

oh, happy to hear that Lindland/Rockhold has been announced too. One of the Challengers illunmi finally stepping up to the big show. Gonna be good.

I'm finally catching up on last weeks MMA!

• Paid Members

Jacare is becoming the complete package. His striking is basic but it's becoming very effective, he's hard to hit and if you over-commit you'll find yourself on your back.

Oh, i liked the little big at Shields too where they announced that he was offered the Jacare fight twice but turned it down :) That's a fight we needed to see.

Be interesting to see how Lashley recovers from his MMA 1st loss, he wasn't keen on hanging around for an interview. Must be hard to deal with mentally.

He needs to learn submissions, he could of won by a sidechoke, desperately needs the right training camp to learn what he doesn't know.

He needs to learn submissions, he could of won by a sidechoke, desperately needs the right training camp to learn what he doesn't know.

He could have won by a good few submissions, but he either doesn't know any, or he wasn't thinking straight after getting that knee to the midsection.

• Paid Members

how good does everyone think KJ Noons actually is?

he's looked pretty f'n good since coming back into MMA and he's now riding a 6 fight win streak against 6 very good opponents. Anyone fancy his chances against Melendez? i think Gilbert is the kind of fighter that Noons will fail against, but who knows?

i'd like to see Noons/Evangelista next with the winner of that getting Melendez...cause apparently Melendez next fight will be in Japan.

MMAJunkie are reporting that Nick Diaz vs K.J.Noons II for the Welterweight title is official for the October 9th card.

A couple of days after my birthday.

Noons could give me a belated present by knocking the shit out of that twat Diaz.

• Paid Members

fuck yes!

obviously everyone's been waiting for Diaz/Mayhem, but i'll happily take Diaz/Noons II.

Nick Diaz is the kind of guy that if you piss him off, or beat him you're in a feud until Diaz beats you. Joe Riggs (who beat Diaz) is also lobbying for a rematch with Diaz so i think he's tied up with great fights for the next year.

KJ Noons is the only guy ive seen outbox Diaz, and you know Diaz is going to want to get the better of Noons standing this time so it's gonna be fucking nuts.

Mayhem's gonna be pissed!

Archived