The Strikeforce Event Discussion Thread

David

• Paid Members

That was a pretty good show. Woodley, after last time's disappointing showing, looked very good in easily seeing off Galvao.

The women's fight was pretty good and it looked like Kaufman was starting to get the upper hand in the fight until Coenen got the armbar. Meisha Tate will make for a good opponent but I fancy Coenen to beat her.

Thomson vs. JC Calvacante was really good. I had Thomson winning it but I would've had no objections to JC winning it. However, there was absolutely no way on Earth that the third was Thompson's and even he realised it because he rightfully stuck it to the judging. Thomson vs. Gilbert will be great.

The main event was excellent, but with that one, I again agreed with the judges. Diaz, for me, one the first, third and fourth. Over the course of the fight, Noons landed more blows and was the busier fighter, but for me, Diaz made his punches count more and edged his rounds, whereas in two and five, I thought those were clearly Noons' rounds due to landing far more. However, going by the rules of scoring, it was Diaz's fight. I'd like to see them do a rubber fight.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had Diaz winning 49-46 with Diaz only losing the 2nd round, the last one was close

Thomson and JZ came down to the 1st round with the 2nd and 3rd rounds having clear winners in my eyes, Thomson was very lucky to get that win

Woodley looked great, maybe him and Diaz next

Gonna reply as I watch.

Woodley/Galvao : Woodley just kept catching Galvao with that right hand when he was shooting in and Galvao just showed no signs of switching things up. I got the sense that if Galvao survived the last onslaught he'd have just kept on shooting into the right hands over and over again.

Coenen/Kaufman : The fight wasn't too bad. I wasn't a big fan of the second round, but it ended well, and then they continued into the third. I thought Kaufman was close to getting something from the ground and pound, but there you are. Can't just swing away with someone who's dangerous from the bottom.

Cavalcante/Thomson : This was a fun fight from start to finish. The first round was actually one of the best rounds of action I've seen this year, with Thomson's terrific escape to the Arm Triangle attempt. Also loved Thomson's little point to the camera at the end, although I'm not entirely sure what good that was supposed to do him. I had it as 29-28 to JC in this one, but the first round was very very close.

Noons/Diaz : I loved this fight. LOVED it. I gave up on trying to score the fight after the second round as I just got more and more into the fight and stopped paying enough attention to what was going on.

Diaz tried a few times to take Noons down but couldn't , he really has to keep working on his wrestling if he want's to become elite in my opinion, the top guys in the UFC would easily take him down and win a decision. The one time he got him down, he never did anything with it and that was more Noons falling down, rather than an actual takedown.

It was an exciting fight but Noons is so one dimensional, he has no kicking ability and for a pro Boxer his footwork is horrible and what was with him fixing his hair after every exchange? If I was in his corner I would have gave him a hair cut in between rounds. He also kept bending over, which was just begging for a head kick attempt. I can see 48-47 for Nick Diaz, but 49-46 makes no sense to me. I guess the judges were ignoring Noons' body shots.

Diaz tried a few times to take Noons down but couldn't , he really has to keep working on his wrestling if he want's to become elite in my opinion, the top guys in the UFC would easily take him down and win a decision.

You think so?

Diaz is pretty handy on the ground, so it wouldn't be a case of taking him down and holding him there.

St Pierre, Fitch & Koscheck are the only guys I would say could beat him maybe 7 times out of 10.

Diaz tried a few times to take Noons down but couldn't , he really has to keep working on his wrestling if he want's to become elite in my opinion, the top guys in the UFC would easily take him down and win a decision.

You think so?

Diaz is pretty handy on the ground, so it wouldn't be a case of taking him down and holding him there.

St Pierre, Fitch & Koscheck are the only guys I would say could beat him maybe 7 times out of 10.

Youve changed your mind :thumbsup:

YES!!! We have a dutch womens champ! AWESOME fight :):) enjoyed it very much! Marloes really was much better then kaufman and i hope she keeps the belt for a long time!

Great night of fights.. MMA is awesome :)

Youve changed your mind :thumbsup:

That's what sometimes happens as time passes and fighters fight, isn't it?

I never rated Diaz boxing skills that highly, and regarded that fight with Noons to be a real test, which he passed.

He has went up in my estimation.

I thought it was a good tactical back-and-forth for the first three rounds. Diaz was more aggressive than expected and caught Noons off guard and took the first round. Noons made an adjustment, Diaz was more passive and started backing Diaz up, taking the second round. In the third, Diaz reapplied himself and then took the rest of the fight.

• Paid Members

the decision was right in the main event, it was close but i had Diaz winning 3-2. Noons had flashes where i thought he was gonna take over but it seems Diaz is impossible to hurt, he just doesn't budge. I'd definately like to see a rubber match, but there's a lot of other good fights to be seen at 170. I'd love to see Daley/Diaz.

The decision in JZ/Thomson fight was bullshit from my end. I had JZ win the 1st and 3rd. The 1st seems to be the one that swayed the judges (whoever scored 30-27 was pissed). JZ dropped Thomson and sat applying a tight choke for a good 90 seconds of the 1st, that in itself was enough to win him the round in my opinion, Thomson finished the round stronger, but JZ had already won it.

Woodley!!! :) my pick did good.

• Paid Members

from Middleeasy...

After the Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Noons II card, Nick Diaz was walking in the hallway of the HP Pavilion to attend the post-fight press conference. Simultaneously, the guys at Showtime was ushering Mayhem Miller out of the post-fight press conference in order to prevent another Strikeforce: Tennessee. From what I was told, Mayhem was supposed to exit out of the post-fight press conference doors and take a right, while Nick Diaz was going to enter the room in the opposite direction. In short, both fighters would have never crossed paths if this initial plan actually worked, however things sort of 'screwed up'. As Mayhem Miller was walking down the corridor, he abruptly turned around and walked the other way. As the two were approaching each other, things seemed to be somewhat civil. Out of nowhere, Nick Diaz launched a water bottle directly at Mayhem's face -- almost at point-blank range. It hit Mayhem directly in the face, water exploded everywhere and Miller looked stunned. Security got in-between the two and Nick Diaz held his arms up and said 'Come on you fat [expletive]!'. He then tried shoving the security away to get close to Mayhem while screaming 'Let's do it right now!'. Nick Diaz managed to get within swinging distance, and then more security jumped in and held back Nick and finally got him to walk in the opposite direction, towards the post-fight press conference room. This altercation happened outside of the locker rooms. This is not a rumor, it's 100% true.

apparently there's footage too.

I woulda stuck this in the main MMA thread but im guessing a few people may not have seen the show yet. This fight has to happen.

• Paid Members

gained a lot of respect for KJ Noons on Saturday, has anyone seen the state of him at the press conference? his face is badly swollen, he also suffered a broken jaw in the first round (im guessing when Diaz dropped him, that shot would have knocked most people out). Noons was all class after the fight in the cage and the press conference.

Noons is the man.

Archived