The Strikeforce Event Discussion Thread

David

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hopefully he won't fuck up his cycling again. If he does fuck up his cycle and fails another test, will they license him to fight in the US again?

I doubt it but then again I was shocked he has got licensed again this time

On top of the one failed last year and the Couture one in 2002 there was another one he failed in a previous UFC fight in 2001 (I cant remember which one) that was swept under the rug, thats why he exodus to Japan to aviod it as he obviosly had problems cycling or whatever

He did pass in 2006 when he appeared for Pride and ironically it was his oppenent Pawel Nastula he got busted that time

Fedor vs Antonio Silva looking likely for December

Would have prefered Barnett or Overeem for Fedor but cant really complain Big Foot is a legit top ten heavyweight

Fedor didnt deserve Overeem. Werdum vs Overeem please!

Can't wait to see Fedor in the ring again.. got something to prove?

Would have prefered Barnett or Overeem for Fedor but cant really complain Big Foot is a legit top ten heavyweight

I agree but I still want to see Fedor fight Overeem at some point

I think we will get Overeem vs Werdum in Feb/Mar 2011 time

I agree but I still want to see Fedor fight Overeem at some point

I think we will get Overeem vs Werdum in Feb/Mar 2011 time

Oh yeah sure i want to see Fedor vs Overeem. :) Its just hard to get that fight. Overeem and Fedor have to win both. But then you're still pushing somebody for the title who got beaten by the previous number one contender.

Better for strikeforce is a Werdum as champ vs Fedor. Fedor just HAS to win his next fight. I hope Overeem wins again and beats Fedor after that.

• Paid Members

Strikeforce are releasing a 2 disc DVD for an Oct 12th US release.

61oRo5AQBGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here's the description on Amazon.com

Strikeforce, the world-class mixed martial arts cage fight league that houses some of the greatest fighters in the world, comes to DVD for the first time! Featuring some of the biggest, most brutal fights in history with superstars of the Octagon Fedor Emelianenko, Brett Rogers, Robbie Lawler and more PLUS rare special features such as never-before-broadcast fights and exclusive fighter interviews. A must have for any MMA fan!

About time.Looking forward to seeing what fights they'll include.

• Paid Members

- Nick Diaz vs. KJ Noons [WW Title]

- Sarah Kaufman vs. Marloes Coenen [WW Title]

- Matt Lindland vs. Luke Rockhold

- Josh "The Punk" Thomson vs. Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante

- Tyron Woodley (8-0) vs. Andre Galvao (5-1)

October 9th looks like that, looks fucking great! people gave Strikeforce crap for a while for not giving their up and comers a shot on the main show, we got 2 for 1 here, Rockhold & Woodley. Woodley was my tip for breakout star of the year, he had a little bit of a stumble in his last fight but got through it.

Should be a great show, time for new guys to establish themselves.

Looking forward to that Strikeforce card as much as UFC 119 this weekend, largely due to the main event which I ahvent the slightest clue who is going to win

Nice to see they are letting the young guns like Woodly and Rockhold on the main card, neither have gimme fights but both should win, Thomson vs JZ is a quality match up as well, not really into womens mma outside of Cyborg and Gina unfortunatly

- Nick Diaz vs. KJ Noons [WW Title]

- Sarah Kaufman vs. Marloes Coenen [WW Title]

- Matt Lindland vs. Luke Rockhold

- Josh "The Punk" Thomson vs. Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante

- Tyron Woodley (8-0) vs. Andre Galvao (5-1)

October 9th looks like that, looks fucking great! people gave Strikeforce crap for a while for not giving their up and comers a shot on the main show, we got 2 for 1 here, Rockhold & Woodley. Woodley was my tip for breakout star of the year, he had a little bit of a stumble in his last fight but got through it.

Should be a great show, time for new guys to establish themselves.

They've actually got three up and comers who have made their way to the main show after starting on the Challengers Series if you include Sarah Kaufman (and I would), although Marloes Coenan is a serious test for her.

When I have got a bit more time I will have to try and dig out who we all thought would be the breakthrough stars for the year, and see how they have gotten on (I know I suggested Kaufman and Shane Roller).

"Strikeforce: Henderson vs. Babalu" slated for Dec. 4, Walker in co-headliner

by Steven Marrocco on Sep 22, 2010 at 9:01 am ET

A long-rumored matchup between Dan Henderson (25-8 MMA, 0-1 SF) and Renato "Babalu" Sobral (36-8 MMA, 2-1 SF) will headline a currently unannounced Strikeforce event slated for Dec. 4 at the Scottrade Center in St. Louis.

The fight is set for the light-heavyweight division and will air live on Showtime, according to multiple sources close to the event, who told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the promotion formally will announce the event early next week.

Additionally, Herschel Walker (1-0 MMA, 1-0 SF) is expected to fight in the event's co-headliner against an opponent to be determined.

A heavyweight matchup between Fedor Emelianenko (31-2 MMA, 1-1 SF) and Antonio Silva (14-2 MMA, 1-1 SF) is unlikely to take place at the Dec. 4 event, but it may be targeted for an event in January that's yet to receive a date and location, sources said.

Henderson undoubtedly is looking to rebound from a disappointing promotional debut in which he met then-middleweight champion Jake Shields on the CBS-televised "Strikeforce: Nashville" card. The former PRIDE welterweight and middleweight came within an inch of a first-round knockout before Shields took the fight down and dominated him en route to a unanimous-decision win. (Shields then vacated the middleweight title to sign with the UFC, where Henderson hung his hat before he jumped ship to join up with Strikeforce.)

Prior to the setback, Henderson enjoyed a three-fight win streak inside the octagon capped by a highlight-reel knockout of Michael Bisping at UFC 100 in July 2009.

Those triumphs eased the sting of two losses he incurred in the wake of his migration from the shuttered PRIDE to the UFC; at UFC 75, he lost a unanimous decision to then-champion Quinton Jackson in a bid to unify the 205-pound UFC and PRIDE titles, and a subsequent bid for the middleweight belt was thwarted when champ Anderson Silva submitted him at UFC 82.

Sobral impressed in his most recent performance when he met Robbie Lawler at June's "Strikeforce: Los Angeles" event and out-struck the heavy-handed veteran en route to a unanimous decision. It was a key reversal for the Brazilian, who was forced to give up his Strikeforce light-heavyweight title when Gegard Mousasi knocked him out in 60 seconds flat at "Strikeforce: Carano vs. Cyborg" in August 2009.

Walker, a former star NFL running back, recently returned to San Jose, Calif.'s American Kickboxing Academy, the gym which prepared him for his professional MMA debut in January at "Strikeforce: Miami." The 48-year-old newcomer and lifelong martial artist made good on his training and stopped the unheralded Greg Nagy by second-round TKO. Walker's MMA debut drew considerable media attention for Strikeforce, and it also scored its biggest Showtime ratings of 2010.

Currently, the UFC also has an event planned for Dec. 4: The Ultimate Fighter 12 Finale in Las Vegas. The event airs on Spike TV and concludes the current season of the UFC's long-running reality series.

------------------------------------

Walker a co-headliner :( hopefully the load up the rest of the show.

Archived