The Strikeforce Event Discussion Thread

David

Houston-poster.jpg

Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal vs. Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante (for light heavyweight title)

Tim Kennedy vs. Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza (for vacant middleweight title)

Jorge Gurgel vs. K.J. Noons

Chad Griggs vs. Bobby Lashley

Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante (9-2 MMA, 2-1 SF) has long stood in the shadows of his famous teammates, but he's about to step into the spotlight.

The 30-year-old light heavyweight feels it's all of his life experiences which have led him to the biggest opportunity of his career and not just his six years in the fight game.

When he meets Strikeforce champion Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal (7-0 MMA, 2-0 SF) in the main event of Aug. 21 "Strikeforce: Houston" event, he says he'll be well-prepared to show how far he's come.

And "Feijao," a native of Ilha Solteira in the state of Sao Paulo, Brazil, has some big shoes to fill.

"Every fight you learn something," Cavalcante said. "You're building your base like that."

After Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira convinced his father to let him quit veterinary school at 24 and train in Rio De Janeiro, Cavalcante became a regular training partner to stars like the Nogueira brothers, Anderson Silva and Andre Galvao. Nogueira even paid for Cavalcante's living expenses while he learned to fight. From the beginning, he promised to follow in the footsteps of his mentors.

The young fighter made a quick splash in his early career and quickly made it to the U.S. as the "next big fighter" from Nogueira's stable. But he hit a small bump in the road in two appearances for the now-defunct International Fight League. After he TKO'd his first opponent, Devin Cole, he was disqualified in his next appearance when he threw an illegal kick to UFC veteran Marcio "Pe De Pano" Cruz.

It was a disappointing setback, to be sure. But his toughest lesson was learned in June 2009, when veteran Mike Kyle stopped him with a hail of punches at "Strikeforce: Lawler vs. Shields." He said the loss forced him to re-tool his preparation for fights and motivated him to train harder.

So the fight with Lawal is about more than just a title, or any media attention he's received in the build up to Aug. 21.

"It's about everything," he said. "My life, my training (and) about my dedication. I just think about that. I don't feel [anything] about the media. I just think about my next fight."

Cavalcante has never faced a fighter with the wrestling credentials of Lawal, a former Big 12 champion and All-American at Oklahoma State University. But he's supremely confident that his jiu-jitsu will keep him from being smothered.

"When I go (to the ground), I look for something," Cavalcante said. "I'm a black belt in jiu-jitsu. I feel ready for this fight. I'm ready in every place. If he wants to stand up, we're going to stand up.

"I [haven't had] a chance to prove my ground game yet. Maybe in this fight you're going to see something."

So far, Cavalcante has most closely followed the path of his close training partner Silva when he gets inside the cage. All of his victories have come by way of strikes; few opponents have had the opportunity to take him down. Most recently, he pounded out Antwain Britt at "Strikeforce: Heavy Artillery" in May, which set up his title bid.

Lawal has said he's going to approach the Aug. 21 fight with former world boxing champion Bernard Hopkins' striking style, and if that doesn't work out, he's going to adopt tall and lanky pugilist Paul Williams' attack.

But if "King Mo" gets tagged by a heavy punch, there's no doubt Cavalcante will get his first lesson in what it feels like to have a world class wrestler diving at his feet.

"I think it's a big opportunity for me," Cavalcante said. "'King Mo' is a very tough guy, (and) he's a very smart guy. I love to fight against guys like that.

"I think it's going to be a war, and the crowd's going to love it. That's important to me, not just (to) win the fight, (but) the way you win."

While he'd no doubt like to knock Lawal out, he'd be happy to honor Nogueira with a submission like Silva did this past Saturday against Chael Sonnen at UFC 117. "King Mo" might just give him the chance to do so.

Bobby Lashley always has been in a hurry to get to the top of the heavyweight division, and he's getting less and less shy about asking for what he wants

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Don't get the Meisha Tate love either, I think she looks like a bit of a munter.

Being a female MMA fighter what would you expect?

She's a good fighter though, and was easily the best competitor in the tournament.

I don't give a shit I like Meisha :p

And it ain't cause she's a female fighter,I really like Sarah Kaufman as a fighter but would I shag her?.....I'd rather shag a mousetrap.

Tate was the best fighter in the tournament.Beforehand I thought Akano might have a decent shot but it proved not to be on the night.Never liked the 3 min round rule though,it hurt the flow of some of the fights to me.And I reckon Kaufman will beat Tate again.

Ryan Couture looked good but it's early days yet.He looks and sounds a lot like his dad aswell,seems weird like Randy's in a time machine.

On the Houston card

I see King Mo being able to show of his stand up against Fejao unlike against Mousasi, Fejao had trouble against Antwann Britt and looked like he may get knocked out at one point until he pulled it out, if Mo does have trouble he can fall back on his wrestling, either way Mo should have his hand raised at the weekend

A lot of people are taking Kennedy and I can see why, after the Prangley fight however Jacare is another level on the ground and is no slouch standing despite a qustionable chin, im picking Jacare by submission but its really 50/50, hardest fight to call

KJ should have a stand up brawl with a willing Gurgel who never use his BJJ, KJ should do enough to win every round on his way to a points win

I presume Griggs wont pose any threat to Lashley who is Mr Protected so I guess ill go with Lasley uness someone persuades me otherwise

Great card

Wandshotgun- A mousetrap or Sarah Kaufman? You have given me a lot to consider

I presume Griggs wont pose any threat to Lashley who is Mr Protected so I guess ill go with Lasley uness someone persuades me otherwise

You think Lashley, who is 5-0, is being protected by being matched up with a guy who is 8-1 and who's stopped every opponent he's beaten?

• Paid Members

Yeah I've got no problem with Lashley-Griggs.I've criticized Lashley's choice of opponents in the past (well more that any time he was matched up with someone decent it fell through) but Griggs,on paper at least,appears to be a bit of a step up in opposition.

What's going on with Lashley anyway? Is he still under contract to TNA? Haven't seen his name pop up regarding TNA for a while.If Lashley concentrated solely on MMA I really think he could do very well.

What's going on with Lashley anyway? Is he still under contract to TNA? Haven't seen his name pop up regarding TNA for a while.If Lashley concentrated solely on MMA I really think he could do very well.

He's been gone from pro wrestling for six months or so now, concentrating on MMA.

A lot of people are taking Kennedy and I can see why, after the Prangley fight however Jacare is another level on the ground and is no slouch standing despite a qustionable chin, im picking Jacare by submission but its really 50/50, hardest fight to call

KJ should have a stand up brawl with a willing Gurgel who never use his BJJ, KJ should do enough to win every round on his way to a points win

Should be a good fight this one, but you have summed Gurgel up perfectly. It is as though the guy has some sort of small man complex and would rather show his toughness and willlingness to stand and bang, rather than fight to his strengths by utilising his jiu-jitsu. It goes all the way back to his time on the Ultimate Fighter when he just stood and traded with Von Flue, lost, and ended up being eliminated. Diue to his closeness with Rich, if he actually bothered wo use his jiu-jitsu he could still be in the UFC now.

Can't see past King Mo or Lashley winning, but the fight that I have the most interest in is Kennedy vs Jacare. Kennedy has pretty much come through the ranks at StrikeForce, starting on the Challenger Series shows and now fighting for the Middleweight title. Big step up for him in Jacare. If Kennedy can keep his standing I fancy his chances, but he will be in trouble if this goes to the ground which is clearly where Jacare's strength lies. Would like to see Kennedy take it mind.

• Paid Members
Yeah I've got no problem with Lashley-Griggs.I've criticized Lashley's choice of opponents in the past (well more that any time he was matched up with someone decent it fell through) but Griggs,on paper at least,appears to be a bit of a step up in opposition.

He's left TNA to concentrate solely on MMA. He's said he's open to fighting Batista but wants to do it quickly so he can carry on with his career progression.

Found this over the weekened its a sit down interview done a few months ago with Mayhem Miller, really good covers his breif UFC run, Bully Beatdown and of course the infamous Strikeforce Brawl and the contraversal comments on Nick Diaz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_can9W9K7s...feature=related

I believe on October 9th these will face each other at the start of the middleweight tournament, which will be my most anticapated non Zuffa fight for the rest of the year

• Paid Members

thanks for the link, i'll check that out.

and as for The Voice vs. Mayhem program, i enjoyed it but Mayhem is fucking annoying. When he talks normally he's alright but his ott routine's just seem so forced. Still i enjoy that series, i hope they keep doing them.

Archived