The Strikeforce Event Discussion Thread

David

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

a Minowa freak show fight would never happen in the States surely?

as for this Sat. Mike Kyle has jumped in to replace Silva...if i had to make a 'fighters of the year' list, Mike Kyle would be on there somewhere, he might not be operating at the highest level, but for someone who was never seen as being 'A' level, he's had a great f'n year.

Interestingly, hes going back to HW for this fight as he has been fighting at 205. I guess the opp. was too good to turn down. He's gone 5-0 this year and beaten some good figthers including winning a KOTC belt.

If this thing goes longer than a round i sniff an upset.

Good fight with Kyle stepping in, but not very smart by Kyle if very brave

He had a easier fight with Roger Gracie set for January who he could have had the simple gameplan of sprawl and brawl against as Gracie who isnt that commited to MMA as a whole from what you hear and more on his BBJ and his BJJ school

If Kyle would have won he may have got a title shot if Fejao vs Hendo/Babulu, Lawal is on the shelf and he has a built in feud with Fejao as he beat him last year

• Paid Members

Minowa vs Bigfoot in the US would have been hilarious. Dana would have had a field day with that too, StrikeFarce etc :laugh: Mike Kyle vs Bigfoot should be fun, Kyle always brings a bit of excitement/controversy with him.

Like the Radach vs St Preux fight too. Nice job by SF, and certainly a few steps up fight quality wise from Herschel Walker. Makes the card stronger.

Really looking forward to it, looks a much better line up on paper than the TUF finale. I'm only really excited about Maia/Grove and Bonnar/Pokrajac on TUF finale. Strikeforce I wanna see every fight.

EDIT- actually I'm quite interested in the Hendricks/Story fight on the TUF finale. Both guys are underrated IMO.

• Paid Members

video showing Smith's best bits in Strikeforce. Scott Smith might genuinely have the heaviest hands in MMA, he doesn't seem to throw with massive power, but when he lands he fucking destroys. The Kyle Noke KO is scary.

• Paid Members

Mike Kyle is a confident man:

Q: Why take a short-notice fight against a dangerous guy in a bigger weight class where you haven't fought for awhile?

Kyle: I don't feel like I have anything to lose. I'm not getting the No. 1 contender spot already. They don't have me getting at title shot yet. I'm supposed to fight (Gegard) Mousasi or (Roger) Gracie.

If I lose to him, it's not going affect nothing at 205. That's the way I look at it. I'm not a getting title shot either way it goes. If I can step in and upset someone, then they'll be forced to give me a title shot, is the way I look at it.

You have to remember, I train with heavyweights every day. I walk around 225, 230-ish.

I know he'll be a lot heavier, but it's nothing I'm not used to. I trained with Cain (Velasquez), getting him ready for Brock Lesnar. I train with Daniel Cormier. I train with heavyweights every single day, so it's not like I'm a fish out of water.

Have you done much scouting on Silva?

I've been able to watch his more recent ones.

Fabricio (Werdum), I watched that fight. I thought he performed well.

I thought he had his best fight, of course, coming off his last one, with (Andrei) Arlovski.

But like I said, I bring a better fight than all of his opponents. I'm better than Arlovski. I'm quicker. I have better boxing. I have a way better boxing game, way better footwork.

I don't think he's going to be able to keep up with me. There's a quote, "speed kills," and I'm really going to try to push that. Use my speed and my good foot movement. ... Hope we get a later-round knockout.

Why would I force him on the ground? I would really like to use my stand-up. I have really good footwork that'll make it hard for him to hit.

Have you been working on your scrambles, in case he does get you down?

Yup, exactly. I'm working on trying to get out from underneath one of the best guys on the ground, as far as holding me down. I think Cain Velasquez is one of the best heavyweights out there as far as being able to hold an opponent down. I haven't seen anybody being able to get up from him yet.

I'm constantly working him with every day. Daniel Cormier. I'd really like to show everyone how my wrestling's really improved. I think he's going to have a really tough time trying to take me down, if he does.

I think he might make a mistake and try to stand with me, like he did with Arlovski.

You think you'll be able to lure him in to trade with you?

I would think that he would want to trade with me.

I really have to fight a smart fight. Just take my time and be patient, and get the victory.

That's what it's all about. It's not necessarily about me trying to put on the best, exciting show. I think the main thing with this fight with me, taking it on the short notice I am, is just to go out there and do everything I have to do to win this fight. And I think that will come naturally off my quick movement, and like I said, my boxing.

How much does his reach concern you?

I don't think he has much reach on me. I just met him here and I shook his hand and stuff. I know we're just about the same height. He might have an inch reach, maybe, not much.

That's what one of my concerns was. But now that I've met him in person, I don't think he's that much longer than me.

What concerns you the most about Silva's game?

It does concern me that his stand-up has improved dramatically. ... But at the same time, that also helps me out, because I think he might be willing to exchange more with me, (rather) than to try to take me right down.

We work on it all at AKA, so it's not like I'm going to be a fish out of water, any position we get in.

Not long ago, you guys were drilling scrambles over and over to prepare for Brock Lesnar. How much does the fact that AKA had been working on it so much lately help you?

Oh, it's worked out amazing. That's one of the areas how I won my fight in Australia -- making sure when I end up on the takedown, quick scramble, end up on top. If the fight does go down, I'm confident in the scrambles and I'm going to try to end up on top.

I don't think he's been on his back too much. He's not going to want to be quick to pull guard. Like I said, I am quicker and faster, and I've been wrestling with better wrestlers than him. I think that will show up in the fight.

You said that no matter what happens in this bout, you'll be fighting Mousasi or Gracie next...

I'd really like to push for the Mousasi fight, given that Gracie hasn't fought anybody. I don't think he should even be a contender or anything else in there. He's only had two or three fights. I don't think he has the right to fight me. No commission would let that fight happen -- that's the way I look at it.

I'd really like to fight Mousasi. I want to fight the best fighters possible. ... Now is the time for me to be the best out there. If I want to show that I'm one of the top fighters out there, heavyweight or light heavyweight, it's going to come off of fights like this.

What fight have I ever had notice? The first fight I came back, I got four days' notice. The fight after that, I fought Feijao, I had three weeks' notice. Fabricio, I took a week notice. All my fights are short notice. That's the way it is.

But we train hard and we prepare ourselves for that every day.

What do you lose by having so many short-notice fights? If you could get a full training camp for once, what would you be able to work in that you can't otherwise?

You know what? I don't know yet, because that hasn't happened to me yet.

I think that's a good thing and a bad thing. With me being able to know a little bit about my opponent already, I don't see it being a bad thing for me. It would have been nice to prepare with someone with a little bit longer reach maybe.

But short notice, I think it's going to hurt him more than me (because he's been) preparing and thinking about someone else this whole time. The only thing that could be to his advantage is that he should have been in great, great shape getting ready to fight Overeem.

As far as a disadvantage to me, though, I don't believe it to be a disadvantage. I like being the underdog.

I just want to fight whoever the best fighters are, heavyweight and light heavyweight. I'd like to fight Mousasi. I'd like to fight Feijao. I'd like to fight Fedor (Emelianenko). I'd like to fight Alistair (Overeem). If I could fight Anderson Silva, I would, at 185.

I used to like to say I was one of the top in the world, and I wasn't. Now I trained my ass off and I've been winning fights. I've put in the work. I feel like it's my turn. I feel like it's my time, and I don't feel like I'm beatable. That's an amazing feeling to have going into the ring, you know?

Can you actually make 185?

I don't know. I believe I can. I get down to 205 pretty easy. If I can walk around 205 and then cut 15 pounds of water, I would love to do that.

How many fights do you have with Strikeforce?

This is my first fight. I have three fights.

Have they suggested they might give you more consideration for other stuff you want after this? You're sort of doing them a favor by taking this fight.

No, they haven't mentioned that. They haven't made no promises or anything. Believe me, later on, I'm going to try to (use) that in negotiations. (chuckles) I am.

But I don't do things for that reason. I'm a fighter. I have an opportunity to fight and make a living, I'm jumping on it.

If I'm getting beat up in the gym, why not go to a real fight? If I don't have to face Cain in the ring right now, why not go face someone else easier than Cain? If I'm going to get my (butt) smashed on by Cain, why get a payday out of it?

Has Strikeforce given you a date for your next 205 opponent?

No. But if you guys could pump up Mousasi Jan. 28. Or if I get this fight, why not make Feijao fight me on the 28? If I was Feijao, I'd be thinking about Mike Kyle every day. If Fabricio had the belt right now, better believe I'd be thinking about my rematch with Fabricio all the time.

You know what? I'm a very bad matchup for Feijao any day, any camp he has, anything. Anybody at 205, I'm really a bad matchup for them.

Even Mousasi?

Even Mousasi. I don't think he could hurt me. I know he has lots of good speed, but I would outpower him. I would probably (toss) him around, especially for a three-round fight. And he's exposed, man -- he needs to get on his wrestling game.

It sounds like you're saying you can outbox the guys who are good wrestlers and grapplers, and outgrapple the guys who are good strikers.

Exactly.

My mind is on Bigfoot right now. I believe the Lord put me in a position to better myself and my career, and I really believe I'm going to win this fight.

Do you think having a win over Feijao strengthens your case for getting a prominent fight at 205?

It should already put me as the No. 1 contender, considering I haven't lost a fight (at light heavyweight) since I've been back.

I don't need to have a title, I just want to fight the best out there. But titles make more money.

I don't want to be fighting for money, but I want to get some things out of life, out of this career, before it passes me by. I don't want to be standing at the end of this career and not have a house paid for, not have nothing going for me. That's in the back of my mind, starting to sink in, that I can't fight forever.

That's why I'm trying to make a point to get my name out there, fight as many as I can, and fight the best I can. That's my goal. I think about that every day. Trying to get that superstar status.

It's frustrating when for 10 years I'm going out there, I'm signing autographs, stuff for kids, and I can't pay my damn rent. It was a frustrating career for me.

Thank God things have been turning around, and they're going to turn around as long as I'm doing things right.

I'd assume Bigfoot's strategy is to stand and trade, that's how he's always fought.

• Paid Members

Strikeforce weigh in results

MAIN CARD

Dan Henderson (204.5) vs. Renato "Babalu" Sobral (202)

Paul Daley (169) vs. Scott Smith (170)

Robbie Lawler (186) vs. Matt Lindland (185.5)

Mike Kyle (219) vs. Antonio Silva (263)

Benji Radach (205.5) vs. Ovince St. Preux (205.5)

PRELIMINARY CARD

Fernando Bettega (170.25) vs. Wayne Phillips (171)

Justin Lawrence (155.5) vs. Max Martytnuk (154.5)

Terrell Brown (208.25)* vs. Patrick Dummins (205.5)

Cortez Coleman (184.75) vs. Lucas Lopes (185)

Tom Aaron (155.5) vs. Matt Ricehouse (156)

Lee Brousseau (204) vs. Mike Glenn (207.25)

Booker DeRousse (185) vs. Coltin Cole (185.5)

Josh Epps (127.5) vs. J.W. Wright (130.5)

Daley under the 170 limit :omg:

Here's a vid of the weigh ins

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/12/03/stri...weigh-in-video/

And some pics

dan-henderson-renato-sobral.jpg

paul-daley-scott-smith.jpg

robbie-lawler-matt-lindland.jpg

antonio-silva-mike-kyle.jpg

benji-radach-ovince-st-preux.jpg

Can't wait.

And Scott Smith physically looked better than he has in his career. He always looked a bit soft at 185 and really he probably should've cut to 170 years ago.

scott-smith.jpg

Tough introduction to WW though fighting Semtex. It'll be interesting to see if Smith's KO power carries down with him at the lower weight and if it affects his stamina. If the cut was good we're in for a war. I'm going with Daley by KO/TKO but you can never count Smith out, if he does win it wouldn't shock me to be honest. Scotty Balboa's done it before and his kinda power at 170 could be real scary.

• Paid Members

Predictions

Henderson vs Babalu - Henderson by decision.

I'm thinking Hendo takes this. He really punched himself out against Shields and I can see him trying to pace himself a bit in this one. He's got the advantage on the feet and the only real threat from Babalu here is his jiu-jitsu. Henderson's just got more ways to win, I've seen people writing him off after the Shields loss but I really think it was a case of him gassing himself out going all Carwin in round 1 and then Shields had him beat on the ground. I'm looking forward to this fight, big fan of Babalu and Hendo so it's gonna be cool watching them fight again after all this time.

Daley vs Smith - Daley by KO/TKO, round 2 or 3.

I'm picking Semtex. Smith could do a Rocky again and at this point it wouldn't shock me much anymore but for his first fight at 170, first time making the cut etc plus the fact that Daley is also very heavy handed and a better technical Muay Thai striker I just can't see Smith winning this one.

Lawler vs Lindland - Lawler KO/TKO, round 1 or 2.

This is tricky because they're so different style wise. I could definitely see Lindland taking a decision via wrestling but I'm never comfortable picking Lindland over someone who hits really hard and Robbie Lawler hits very fucking hard. From interviews and bits I've read Lawler seems to be going in with an open mind and sounds like he's ready for anything.

I can't help thinking about the last time Lindland faced a southpaw with heavy hands

6nse15.jpg

:duh:

Bigfoot vs Kyle - Bigfoot TKO, round 2.

I'm going with Bigfoot here. Especially with Kyle stepping in on short notice. Kyle's dangerous though and unpredictable and he doesn't really have anything to lose. I reckon Bigfoot might actually take this one to the ground and GnP his way to victory.

Radach vs St Preux - St Preux by decision/late TKO.

Radach's been around a while but he hasn't fought since Scott Smith KO'd him last year. St Preux's been much more active and just beat Antwain Britt last month. He's coming off a nice little winning streak too. I'm going with St Preux, he'll be in better fight shape and momentum's on his side.

Archived