The Strikeforce Event Discussion Thread

David

• Paid Members
If Fedor were to win this tournament, that would be his 3 fight contract up. Then they're hoping he signs a new deal again to defend the title. I'm hoping Overeem smashes him in the Semi's though to be honest.

Fedor has actually signed a new 4 fight deal with Strikeforce so that would see him through the tournament if he goes to the finals, plus another 1 or 2 fights after that.

I hope the tournament goes off without a hitch. Looking at the brackets I think Barnett 'should' reach the finals, he hasn't fought top comp for a bit but he's the best, most well rounded fighter of the 4 IMO. Who he would fight in the final is anyone's guess though. Fedor, Overeem or Werdum? Fuck knows, can't see Bigfoot beating any of them 3 but anything can happen. Really intriguing tournament. I'm as excited for this as pretty much anything the UFC is offering this year.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Melendez vs Kawajiri 2 possible?

'We're definitely having that conversation. I'm going to try to work that out and get Kawajiri in there with Gilbert. I think that that's a fight we're interested in. I know that Kawajiri wants to come fight here in America. We had some conversations (in Japan) before left... We've been talking to Dream for a long time about coming to Japan and doing a Dream versus Strikeforce type event. We've had conversations. There's nothing set in that sense, but I sure think it'd be a lot of fun to go to Japan and throw a big Strikeforce event in Saitama Super Arena'

I like it. The first fight at Pride Shockwave '06 was good, I think a rematch now would be even better with how far both guys have come. Love the idea of a big Dream vs Strikeforce show in Japan too.

• Paid Members

Fighters Only's saying Overeems title will be on the line in the GP. With the winner of Overeem/Werdum defending against the winner of Fedor/Bigfoot and so on until there's one champ at the end. Meaning 5 round fights.

Interestingly Coker's saying he's talking to the athletic commissions trying to make all the tournament fights 5 rounds (even the non-title fights) so its fair and everyones on a level playing field.

• Paid Members

it's tough to call, i mean Fedor's had hardly any ring time in the last few years, he didn't do anything against Arlovski until he landed the overhand bomb at the end of round 1, the Sylvia fight was a blowout, and he was losing against Rogers until he landed the big punch.

It's so hard to call, nobody really knows if Fedor still has it. He just has that aura about him, and i don't think the Werdum loss harmed that. I still get nervous anytime Fedor walks into the cage, and i'll be exactly the same when he walks in against Silva...but if Fedor is still what he once was, he could win it. If he does win it, he'll confirm that he's the greatest heavyweight ever without doubt.

This tournament is full of dream matches whatever way it goes, you can match up any of the guys against each other and i'm tuning it.

• Paid Members

did anyone see Challengers 13?

was ok, the main event was uneventful though :( it was a case of Woodley not willing to stand with a superior striker, and a superior striker having good enough take down defence that the majority of the fight, so the fight mainly took place in the clinch. Woodley rightly took the decision though.

Abongo Humphrey/OSP would be worth your time though, cracking little contest. Two gutsy light heavyweights leaving it all the cage. Round 2 would probably end up on my 'rounds of the year' list, good stuff.

oh, and Strikeforce needs some challengers for Cyorg, think they got one in Amanda Nunes, she KO'd Julia Budd is 14 seconds, Coker had to be happy with this.

• Paid Members

Coker's saying that his idea is that the winner of this tournament will be the Strikeforce Heavyweight Champion...that's fair enough, great idea if the belt was vacant but surely it aint fair that Overeem is going to have to defend his belt 3 times just to confirm himself as the champion? surely the challengers should sort themselves out and the winner gets to fight the champion.

It's a weird situation and it kind of makes the previous heavyweight fights seem a little worthless, because everyone's on a an even playing field now. Still... i'm just happy it's happening so i ain't complaining too much :)

I don't see why they dont just leave these as 3 round fights though and crown the winner the 'Strikeforce Grand Prix Champion' then have the winner face Overeem in a 5 round title fight at a later time.

That's how Pride did it, they had Title holders and Grand Prix Champions.

oh, and Strikeforce needs some challengers for Cyorg, think they got one in Amanda Nunes, she KO'd Julia Budd is 14 seconds, Coker had to be happy with this.

I sheepishly deleted my avatar and sig that was praising Julia Budd. So much for my belief that she would be the one to give Cyborg a challenge :blush:

• Paid Members

some odds for the tournament:

Fedor Emelianenko +160

Alistair Overeem +200

Josh Barnett +400

Andrei Arlovski +900

Fabricio Werdum +1400

Antonio Silva +1800

Sergei Kharitonov +2000

Brett Rogers +2200

reserves:

Shane del Rosario +3000