The Strikeforce Event Discussion Thread

David

• Paid Members

Overeem puts his size down to genetics...he obviously works out like a demon, but he says he's always been naturally muscled..

his brother's the same:

2v3r1u0.jpg

or maybe they just use the same chemist?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess we'll wait & see what happens as far as Overeem goes. If Fedor's team suspect anything they'll push for the more strict testing probably.

As for Diaz, he's a decent fighter, but the guy is a fucking numbskull of the highest order, isn't he? He isn't even a "good promo", he just utters barely legible sentences laced with expletives.

Interviewing him must be like annoying the simpleton in your class at high school.

• Paid Members
How come no one else has came out asking for these tests? Werdum is perfectly happy to fight Overeem in the 1/4's with none of this crap, thats good enough for me.

Of course it's good enough for you; you don't have millions of dollars invested in the fight like Fedor's management do, and as such they're perfectly within their right to request a more stringent drug test, which shouldn't be a problem for anyone concerned unless they've got something to hide.

Out of interest, are you one of those mongs who blames Floyd Mayweather for his fight with Pacquiao falling apart? Because it's the same exact deal. Mayweather, recognising the size of this fight, asks for the random blood tests to make sure it's as clean as can be, Pacquiao refuses, and then somehow idiots start putting the blame on Mayweather? What the fuck?

• Paid Members

you make a great point...

it's weird, because with all this new 'olympic drug test' malarky that's going on, the way it comes across in the media and the way it's discussed amongst fans is that the people demanding it are the bad guys.

It's the case especially in boxing, because everyone seems to hold Mayweather responsible for the Pac-Man fight falling apart, but it was Pacquiao who refused to take the tests that would make the fight happen. There's some dirty tactics at play but i don't think what they ask for is such an unreasonable request.

• Paid Members

looks like Satoshi Issii has inked a deal with Strikeforce to fight at 205lb. Strikeforce also announced a PPV deal in Japan so to have Ishii involved is massive news (Ishii is pretty much the biggest draw in Japanese MMA). I ain't completely sold on Ishii as a fighter and i expect Strikeforce to kind of protect their investment here but the promotion is in a good place to start the new year!

It's the case especially in boxing, because everyone seems to hold Mayweather responsible for the Pac-Man fight falling apart, but it was Pacquiao who refused to take the tests that would make the fight happen. There's some dirty tactics at play but i don't think what they ask for is such an unreasonable request.

Pacquiao agreed to full Olympic blood testing and Mayweather still would'nt sign to fight him.

Floyd's next fight I expect will be in prison.

Out of interest, are you one of those mongs who blames Floyd Mayweather for his fight with Pacquiao falling apart? Because it's the same exact deal. Mayweather, recognising the size of this fight, asks for the random blood tests to make sure it's as clean as can be, Pacquiao refuses, and then somehow idiots start putting the blame on Mayweather? What the fuck?

As stated in the post above this, Pacquiao agreed to the drug tests and Mayweather still wouldn't sign - so yes, I'd say Mayweather would probably be at fault for that.

If Strikeforce agree to M1's demands then it could set a precedent, these type of drug tests cost ALOT of money to administer. By agreeing to do it with this one fight, then you open the floodgates to people stating certain fights should be tested to that extent when one fighter accuses the other. If Fedor demands this to happen and Strikeforce agree, then you'll get opponents demanding say Nick Diaz takes those tests ect. - and fights will end up getting cancelled because these accused fighters feel unfairly treated.

When you factor cost into the equation, you realise some companies like Bellator, Shark Fights or Shine would probably not be able to afford to do those tests and fighters could use these tests as an easy way out of fighting the other guy - whilst still getting payed.

All I'm saying is those things could happen.

• Paid Members
As stated in the post above this, Pacquiao agreed to the drug tests and Mayweather still wouldn't sign - so yes, I'd say Mayweather would probably be at fault for that.

I wasn't aware of that, so if that's the case then of course, Mayweather would be at fault, but I'm talking about back when they were negotiating and the random drug tests was the burning issue. Back then, when Pacquiao wouldn't accept the terms, everyone was making out like Mayeather was somehow at fault, which was complete shit, as is the case here if people complain about Fedor and his management. This is supposed to be one of the highest levels of the sport, a combative sport in which you're literally putting your physical and mental health on the line againt an opponent, so calling it, "crap," for someone to request that the fight is kept as clean as possible is completely stupid.

If Strikeforce agree to M1's demands then it could set a precedent, these type of drug tests cost ALOT of money to administer. By agreeing to do it with this one fight, then you open the floodgates to people stating certain fights should be tested to that extent when one fighter accuses the other. If Fedor demands this to happen and Strikeforce agree, then you'll get opponents demanding say Nick Diaz takes those tests ect. - and fights will end up getting cancelled because these accused fighters feel unfairly treated.

When you factor cost into the equation, you realise some companies like Bellator, Shark Fights or Shine would probably not be able to afford to do those tests and fighters could use these tests as an easy way out of fighting the other guy - whilst still getting payed.

All I'm saying is those things could happen.

Sure, that could happen, but it only takes one look at those types of companies, and the way in which they promote, to know that none of them are ever going to be around for the long haul, they're pretty much all destined for bankruptcy at the end of the day, so there's no point worrying about them anyway. And chances are, if you're fighting for fucking Shark Fights or whatever, then chances are you aren't much of a name so accordingly pulling the same type of shit that Fedor pulls in terms of negotiating isn't going to get you very far, since your options are so obviously limited.

It's the athletic commissions that do the tests and they aren't going to pay extra when they don't have to. Nevada and other States were doing random pre-fight drug tests but stopped it recently because it was obviously costing them too much money.

It's also underestimating Big Foot, just like they did Werdum as they haven't required he take a blood test.

The thing is, if Fedor's team insist on a more stringent testing system for his opponents (or at least for Overeem should they meet) then what will Strikeforce do?

Allow Fedor to walk away? A heavyweight tournament without him is nowhere near as legit, is it?

The thing is, if Fedor's team insist on a more stringent testing system for his opponents (or at least for Overeem should they meet) then what will Strikeforce do?

Allow Fedor to walk away? A heavyweight tournament without him is nowhere near as legit, is it?

I get what you mean but personally, I'd rather the tournament went ahead without Fedor than it be cancelled or substancially delayed just to accommodate Fedor.

No fighter is bigger than his employees ect.

I get what you mean but personally, I'd rather the tournament went ahead without Fedor than it be cancelled or substancially delayed just to accommodate Fedor.

Look, the simple truth of the matter is that if Overeem doesn't have anything to hide he'll have no objection to the test.

It's not costing him money to do it, is it?

The problem here is that M1 have been a absolute PR disaster for Fedor and have in a way tarnished his legacy because they are so demanding and unreasonable

Personally I agree with M1/Fedor plight if it had come from say Cesar Gracie and Nick Diaz going into a welterweight tourney in Strikeforce no one would bat a eyelid because they dont ask the world everytime they negoiate with someone

The whole demand demand demand stance is getting tiresome from M1/Fedor to the point where even when they may have a valid point people are sick of it

Look, the simple truth of the matter is that if Overeem doesn't have anything to hide he'll have no objection to the test.

The simple truth is Fedor and M1 are NOT above the athetic comissions. Overeems never failed a drugs test so he's got no reason to be tested anymore than the next fighter.

The simple truth is Fedor and M1 are NOT above the athetic comissions. Overeems never failed a drugs test so he's got no reason to be tested anymore than the next fighter.

This.

Far better than I could've put it.

Archived