The Strikeforce Event Discussion Thread

David

Musings from elsewhere on the card

Impressed by Roger Gracie, Strikeforce dont have much depth at 205 but slowly with the likes of Gracie,Kyle,Mousasi and when King Mo returns they will have a good few contenders for the winner of Hendo vs Fejao (which I believe Fejao will win)

They should do a middleweight tournment if they are dead set on doing another after the Heavyweight one, MW is there strongest division and could give them a excuse to do Cung Le vs Jacare in the first round that would draw massive in San Jose

Hershall Walker looked like a beast, ok so the competion wasnt that steller but there is still some milage to be had with Walker facing fellow olders, maybe bring in say a Don Frye or maybe even Mark "No Cardio" Coleman in to face him

All in all Strikeforce have got a promising 2011 coming up

I would even go with the likes of Wes Sims as a good matchup for Herschel. The guys got enough personality to make the fight look interesting in the build up and I think Walker could stop him.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Regarding the upcoming Heavyweight Grand Prix, looks like the first "spanner in the works" is being rumoured.

From Bloody Elbow:

According to Josh Gross on twitter:

CSAC exec. officer George Dodd told me Josh Barnett withdrew his license application, so it's off Feb. 4 agenda.

CSAC can't sanction, suspend, fine Barnett. Matter is tabled unless Barnett asks for license in state requiring resolution of Calif. issues.

Likeliest locations for Barnett/SF in U.S. w/o resolving Calif.: Georgia, Texas, Tennessee. Again, he would have to pass a drug test first.

• Paid Members

really enjoyed the show, it proved a few things...

Roger Gracie is legit. He's not a complete fighter but the one he does well, he probably does better than anyone. He beat Prangley with ease.

Walker silenced a few critics and actually looked like a frickin' beast. The competition wasn't stellar but you can't knock anything Walker did in that cage.

Jacare/Lawler was really good, kind of one sided but it was intense stuff. When Lawler dropped Jacare in round 1 i lost my shit because i had a bet on Lawler, following Jacare to the ground was a mistake though. Jacare just swallows guys up on the ground, Lawler did well to avoid a few submissions but eventually he got caught...Jacare is going to be a hard man to bear.

Diaz/Cyborg was fantastic. It was always kind of 'why?' fight, but the styles of the fighters pretty much guaranteed it would be exciting. Cyborg actually looked awesome and punished Diaz early in round 1, but as always once Diaz starts to find his rythym he just puts a beating on guys, that jab is fucking lethal. How Cyborg stayed up from that left hand in round 1 i'll never know, brutal punch. Me and my mate actually shouted that the takedown in round 2 was gonna win Cyborg the round but Diaz just showed how slick he is...fucking great fight though.

Strikeforce Champions are legit.

Some info regarding the payouts for the show;

Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz ($150,000) and fellow defending champion Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza ($85,000) were the top earners at this past weekend's "Strikeforce: Diaz vs. Cyborg" event.

MMAjunkie.com today requested and received the list of salaries from the California State Athletic Commission.

The event took place at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, Calif., and aired on Showtime. The total disclosed payroll for the event was $463,500.

Diaz defeated Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos ($20,000) in the night's headliner, and middleweight champ Souza stopped Lawler ($65,000) in the co-headliner.

Perhaps the most notable figure was the salary attached to former NFL great Herschel Walker. Despite his heavy promotion of the card and the interest he drew for his second pro fight, he earned a flat rate of $5,000. However, additional compensation likely came in other forms for the 48-year-old fighter.

The full payouts include:

Champ Nick Diaz: $150,000 (no win bonus)

def. Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos: $20,000

Champ Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza: $85,000 ($15,000 win bonus)

def. Robbie Lawler : $65,000

Herschel Walker: $5,000 (no win bonus)

def. Scott Carson: $5,000

Roger Gracie: $75,000 (no win bonus)

def. Trevor Prangley: $30,000

Nate Moore: $4,000 ($2,000 win bonus)

def. Nathan Coy: $3,000

Isaiah Hill: $3,000 ($1,500 win bonus)

def. Bobby Stack: $1,500

Ron Keslar: $3,000 ($1,500 win bonus)

def. Eric Lawson: $1,500

Germaine de Randamie: $3,000 ($1,000 win bonus)

def. Stephanie Webber: $1,000

James Terry: $3,000 ($1,500 win bonus)

def. Lucas Gamaza: $1,500

Jenna Castillo: $3,000 ($1,500 win bonus)

def. Charlene Gellner: $1,000

• Paid Members

Strikeforce: Columbus on March 5th looks like this:

Rafael Feijao vs. Dan Henderson (205lb Title)

Marloes Coenen vs. Miesha Tate (Women's 135lb Title)

Luke Rockhold vs. Tim Kennedy

Billy Evangelista vs. Jorge Masvidal

another solid lineup! Strikeforce are bringing this shows frequently and they are stacking them up nicely...Strikeforce is gonna have a great year!

Fedor_vs_Silva_Poster.jpg

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Antonio Silva (heavyweight-tournament quarterfinals)

Andrei Arlovski vs. Sergei Kharitonov (heavyweight-tournament quarterfinals)

Shane Del Rosario vs. Lavar Johnson (heavyweight-tournament reserve fight)

Valentijn Overeem vs. Ray Sefo (heavyweight-tournament reserve fight)

Chad Griggs vs. Gian Villante (heavyweight-tournament reserve fight)

Igor Gracie vs. John Salgado*

Marc Stevens vs. John Cholish*

Josh LaBerge vs. Anthony Leone*

Jason McLean vs. Kevin Roddy*

*prelims shown live on HDNet

I find it a bit strange that most of the main card will be made up of reserve fights. They could pehaps have dropped a few of them onto the HDNet portion of the show and given us some other bouts in different weight classes.

I'll be tuning in mainly for the two tournament fights though. Anyone going with the upset in the Fedor vs Silva fight?

I'm not.

• Paid Members

yeh i agree, i think it would have made sense to perhaps drop the Johnson/Del Rosario down to headline the HDnet portion, probably generate a few views. I still love that they're getting this prelims aired though...the Strikeforce undercard guys need more exposure.

• Paid Members
Strikeforce: Columbus on March 5th looks like this:

Rafael Feijao vs. Dan Henderson (205lb Title)

Marloes Coenen vs. Miesha Tate (Women's 135lb Title)

Luke Rockhold vs. Tim Kennedy

Billy Evangelista vs. Jorge Masvidal

another solid lineup! Strikeforce are bringing this shows frequently and they are stacking them up nicely...Strikeforce is gonna have a great year!

Melvin Manhoef is gonna be on the card now too but no opponent announced yet. Lovely jubbly :)

Really nice line up. Rockhold/Kennedy and Evangelista/Masvidal could be cracking fights and the women's fight should be a good, pretty evenly matched fight too. And I can't wait to see Hendo vs Feijao, that one should be pretty wild.

• Paid Members

With Bravo going belly up apparantly Primetime will now be the official home of Strikeforce in the UK according to Primetime's site and MMAHitPit.com

This unmissable tournament can only be seen in the UK on Primetime, channel 480 on Sky or at www.primetimelive.co.uk . Each event will be priced at

Archived