The Strikeforce Event Discussion Thread

David

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ha you're probably right. I'm just pessimistic when it comes to Strikeforce completing a tournament which includes:

Fedor - who seemingly enters new contract negotiations after every fight

Overeem - who is their HW champion and has fought once in 2 years

Barnett - who can probably only fight on a Houston cards due to his stupidity with steroids.

Come to think of it, it probably will be completed if those 3 suffer early eliminations.

• Paid Members
Are there any odds available on the tournament not being completed?

It'll be completed, even if the final ends up being Valentijn Overeem vs Chad Griggs.

:laugh: the sad thing is, i can see it happening.

• Paid Members

been confirmed that Overeem's title will not be on the line during the tournament.

quarter finals and semi-finals will 3x5minute round fights, the final being a 5x5minute round fight...the winner will be crowned Strikeforce Grand Prix Champion and gets first crack at Overeem, if Overeem wins it he's basically king of the world.

Good news, it's exactly as i said i thought it should go earlier in the thread. The tournament fights shouldn't have anything to do with the title.

If Overeem's belt isn't on the line and the winner (if its not him) gets a title shot then whats the point in having Overeem taking part?

Honestly imagine if Overeem loses his first fight and gets dominated in the process, then you have your Heavyweight champion defending his title for his next fight when looking like damaged goods. It makes absolute no sense business wise.

Then again I'd expect nothing less complicated from Strikeforce, they do really seem determined to ruin their own potential.

• Paid Members
been confirmed that Overeem's title will not be on the line during the tournament.

quarter finals and semi-finals will 3x5minute round fights, the final being a 5x5minute round fight...the winner will be crowned Strikeforce Grand Prix Champion and gets first crack at Overeem, if Overeem wins it he's basically king of the world.

Good news, it's exactly as i said i thought it should go earlier in the thread. The tournament fights shouldn't have anything to do with the title.

Yeah I prefer this too. 3 rounds for non title is better, makes more sense. But at the same time....

If Overeem's belt isn't on the line and the winner (if its not him) gets a title shot then whats the point in having Overeem taking part?

I have to agree with this. Why have a tournament to decide who fights the champ if the champ is already in it? I mean one example...

Say Werdum beats Overeem in the first round of the tournament. He's now beat Fedor and the champ Overeem back to back. But he's still faced with fighting the winner of Fedor/Bigfoot (both he's already recently beat) and whoever reaches the final from the other side of the bracket. Then he'd have to beat Overeem again. Fuck me.

Werdum is looking at having to beat Overeem twice, Fedor or Bigfoot twice, plus Barnett or whoever else to get to the title he should probably already be fighting for IMO.

Or if Overeem for example walks through Werdum, KO's Fedor and batters Barnett to win the whole thing then they've literally wiped out all challengers for him. He'd have fuck all to do in Strikeforce. At least if he just fights the winner, say Fedor, by the time that fights done Werdum or Barnett or whoever could be back in contention.

Fuck it, I'll still be watching and loving every minute of it :D I suppose at least this way we are more likely to see Overeem vs Fedor, maybe Fedor vs Barnett.

Have never eally cought any Strikeforce, the only fight I've seen it the Fedor/Werdum fight which I saw on Youtube. I don't know what it is, I just seem to think that Strikeforce could be the TNA of MMA

What would be a good starting point for me, and are there any top to bottom quality shows, or are they littered with some good-great fights with a lot of dross

• Paid Members

a good starting place would Strikeforce's last main card, Henderson vs Babalu II from December of last year... you can always go back and catch up on stuff later on, but i'd get aquainted with the current going's on before the card at the end of the month. Showtime is about to start showing a Best of Strikeforce show, that'll be worth your time.

And, why o' why are they doing Paul Daley/Jorge Gurgel!? as much I like Gurgel you can't see that fight ending in anything other than him being laid flat out on his face...poor Jorge.

• Paid Members

Yeah I prefer this too. 3 rounds for non title is better, makes more sense. But at the same time....

I have to agree with this. Why have a tournament to decide who fights the champ if the champ is already in it? I mean one example...

Say Werdum beats Overeem in the first round of the tournament. He's now beat Fedor and the champ Overeem back to back. But he's still faced with fighting the winner of Fedor/Bigfoot (both he's already recently beat) and whoever reaches the final from the other side of the bracket. Then he'd have to beat Overeem again. Fuck me.

Werdum is looking at having to beat Overeem twice, Fedor or Bigfoot twice, plus Barnett or whoever else to get to the title he should probably already be fighting for IMO.

Or if Overeem for example walks through Werdum, KO's Fedor and batters Barnett to win the whole thing then they've literally wiped out all challengers for him. He'd have fuck all to do in Strikeforce. At least if he just fights the winner, say Fedor, by the time that fights done Werdum or Barnett or whoever could be back in contention.

Fuck it, I'll still be watching and loving every minute of it :D I suppose at least this way we are more likely to see Overeem vs Fedor, maybe Fedor vs Barnett.

I just see it as a different entity, the tournament is to crown the 'Grand Prix Champion' there's no difference really, but I got no problem with Overeem not defending. Suppose boxing have done it in the Super Six tournament though.

If Overeem wins, he's got a reasonable claim to being #1 heavyweight in the world.

If Overeem loses to the eventual winner, you've got a big rematch this time with the heavyweight title on the line, will do a good TV rating or PPV buyrate.

If Overreem loses to someone other than the eventual winner, you've got 2 big matches, Overeem vs the tournament winner, and then a rematch with Overeem vs whoever beat him.

If Overeem isn't in the tournament, you've basically got him on the shelf for a year, as far as Strikeforce goes anyway, because all the top heavyweights are in the tournament.

a good starting place would Strikeforce's last main card, Henderson vs Babalu II from December of last year... you can always go back and catch up on stuff later on, but i'd get aquainted with the current going's on before the card at the end of the month. Showtime is about to start showing a Best of Strikeforce show, that'll be worth your time.

And, why o' why are they doing Paul Daley/Jorge Gurgel!? as much I like Gurgel you can't see that fight ending in anything other than him being laid flat out on his face...poor Jorge.

They are not doing Daley/Gurgel, they are on the same card but against different opponents who are yet to be announced.

Archived