The Strikeforce Event Discussion Thread

David

• Paid Members

The second half of the quarter finals of the HW tournament is planned for April 9th with Overeem vs Werdum and Barnett vs Rogers. There's also a rumoured Lightweight title fight with Gilbert Melendez vs Tatsuya Kawajiri supposedly in the works for that same card. Looking good :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The simple truth is Fedor and M1 are NOT above the athetic comissions. Overeems never failed a drugs test so he's got no reason to be tested anymore than the next fighter.

There are many who would say that the 'standard' drug testing used by the athletic commissions is nothing more than a joke at best, and that they should be improved and modernised to keep up with the advances in performance enhancing drugs and the various masking agents on the market.

Such a move, which has been touted in boxing as well, would be a step forward.

You're right though, Fedor is not above the athletic commissions, but his representatives have every right to challenge protocol that they feel isn't working or is outdated.

Regardless of the general opinions of M1, they are paid to look after the interests of their fighter, and thus far they have done exactly that.

• Paid Members

anyone looking forward to this weekend's Strikeforce?

due to a certain heavyweight tournament being announced the show has pretty much been buried, easy to forget that the card is hosting 2 real solid title fights, predictions?

Diaz/Cyborg - kinda feels like Strikeforce run out of contenders here, but Cyborg looked sharp against Zaromskis and around a year ago i'd have fancied him against Diaz in a standup fight...but Diaz has proven me so wrong over and over again that you just can't bet against him. Diaz has the distinct version on the ground, but i see it staying standing with Diaz slownly but surely busting Cyborg up and finishing it in round 3. Both guys has that tenacious type style that where they get hit they get kind of angry and get more aggresive so i can't see it being anything other than exciting.

Jacare/Lawler - classic case of grappler vs. striker, depending on where the fight goes pretty much determines who's going to win this one. Jacare has some unorhodox standup, but he aint gonna want anything of Lawler's power. Lawler's gonna have some crazy confidence going in here and i fancy him causing the upset...i'll have Lawler TKO in round 2.

Walker/Carson - fuck knows on this one, of course i'd prefer to see a legit type contest on there but Herschel Walker is important for Strikeforce, and him being on the card means ratings. There's no doubt that Carson's been carefully chosen for this so i expect Walker to win it, question is whether he can do it in the distance. I think he will, Walker TKO round 2!

Gracie/Prangley - tough one to predict. I always fancy Prangley in fights because of his gritty style, and he's promised to try and turn this into a bit of a fight which aint going to suit Gracie, but despite just having 3 fights, Roger Gracie is getting crazy amounts of praise (latest being from GSP) that he is legit. He's not in a rush to progress but he's looked kind of flawless so far. Heart says Prangley but head says Gracie. Gracie submission round 2.

i wish Strikeforce could alter things so they could include 5 fights on the telecast, but i'll live with it.

I've dropped a

From someone on the Underground forum....

"was in row 3 -- right behind the guys in row 1 that Diaz was targeting. Row 1 was mostly press -- Brazilian, I think -- and then a batch of white trash white guys. Just an accident that female Cyborg was sitting close; it was the white trash that were the object of Diaz's affection. Those guys were drunk, and were giving Diaz's corner a hard time from the time the came around to the outside of the cage in front of us, flipping them off, yelling shit, etc. Diaz flipped them off after the fight, then threw his mouthpiece at them. They threw a water bottle back, then the crowd erupted, because the entire mezzanine behind us was filled with Diaz supporters, and water bottles started raining down on those guys in the first row. As you can imagine, I was a bit concerned that I was just 5 feet or so behind the targets the mezzanine crowd was aiming at.

If Mayhem was there also, I didn't see him, maybe he was in front of that first row -- I couldn't see the row past row 1 where the fighters/VIPs sit."

Mrs. Cyborg didn't seem angry, just upset. Didn't seem like there was any bad blood between Diaz and the Cyborgs.

• Paid Members
Mrs. Cyborg didn't seem angry, just upset. Didn't seem like there was any bad blood between Diaz and the Cyborgs.

The way the guy worded that made me chuckle for some reason. The Cyborgs :laugh: ....lovely family The Cyborgs aren't they?

Them fans sound like cockheads. Them teens should lay off the WKDs if they can't handle 'em.

Thought the event was pretty good. Diaz looked good. Hopefully Paul Daley wins his fight at BAMMA 5 and we get Diaz vs Semtex cos that will be fucking awesome. Same thing though, if Diaz can tie him up and drag him to the ground he's fucked. On the feet though I fancy Daley although Diaz has proved me wrong many a time with his boxing.

Jacare/Lawler was a toss up going in for me, just came down to who could get the fight in their best area for long enough to make it count and Jacare was always at a huge advantage if it hit the ground. Still lots of great fights for Lawler, I would love to see him fight Cung Le myself.

I was impressed with how easily Roger Gracie put Trevor Prangley away. Prangley's been around a long time, he's no rookie and he's a good wrestler so to dominate him like that and tap him so quickly was what you'd kinda expect from someone coming in with so much hype. I'd love to see Gracie develop a strong stand up game down the line, if you put his BJJ with a dangerous striking game he'll be a real handful for anyone.

And I quite enjoyed Herschel Walker's fight. This would have been perfect as his MMA debut, instead of the horrible Nagy fight. Walker's a likeable guy and brings a lot of attention to Strikeforce so I got no problem with him on the cards. He's never gonna do anything significant in MMA but he looks good when you take into account his age and lack of MMA experience, fair play to the old boy :D

• Paid Members

Diaz on Cyborg

"He's just a really smart fighter for this fight. He did a really good job in preparation and everything. I almost want to say I'm proud of the guy. I mean like, it's a good example of someone getting their sh*t together and doing everything they gotta do to bring their all, you know. ... I've said it a bunch of times, I'm going to put punches in, you're going to have to try to throw me down and I'm a jiu-jistu fighter, a black belt under Cesar Gracie. People know it's a mistake to take me down like that and get caught up in a submission."

Proud of him? :omg: Diaz going soft or something?

Diaz on Paul Daley

"I see me putting punches on him, and maybe him taking me down, too, and getting caught in a choke. He could run from me, and I could run him down, take him down, and beat him on the ground. I don't know. I could see that fight going a lot of different ways. I'm not really impressed with Paul Daley as a mixed martial artist.I'm sure he knows what's going to happen if he steps in there to fight me. All they can really do is try to down-talk me and minimize what I've done in the past and what I might do to them."

Diaz is actually friends with the Cyborgs, he said he has done a lot of promotional work for Strikefirce with them and likes them both a great deal

Diaz is fast becoming Strikeforces franchise player and one of its most valuable assets

What other Champion in MMA has all these qualities other than Diaz

- Injury Free

- Big Draw (Ignore the attendence figures, Diaz holds the record for ratings for MMA on showtime)

- Fights quite regular

- Always puts on exciting fights

- Charasmatic

- World Class Fighter

In many ways he is a lot like to Strikefirce what Chuck Liddel was to UFC in 2005

Diaz vs Daley is a dangerous match up for Diaz but I think Diaz can and will get him down and sub Daley

Musings from elsewhere on the card

Impressed by Roger Gracie, Strikeforce dont have much depth at 205 but slowly with the likes of Gracie,Kyle,Mousasi and when King Mo returns they will have a good few contenders for the winner of Hendo vs Fejao (which I believe Fejao will win)

They should do a middleweight tournment if they are dead set on doing another after the Heavyweight one, MW is there strongest division and could give them a excuse to do Cung Le vs Jacare in the first round that would draw massive in San Jose

Hershall Walker looked like a beast, ok so the competion wasnt that steller but there is still some milage to be had with Walker facing fellow olders, maybe bring in say a Don Frye or maybe even Mark "No Cardio" Coleman in to face him

All in all Strikeforce have got a promising 2011 coming up

Archived