The Strikeforce Event Discussion Thread

David

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The winner of Overeem vs Werdum will decide the winner in my opinion

If Overeem wins then I think he will end up winning the entire thing, however if Werdum can subs Overeem which he might if he gets the chance to get it to the ground it is wide open and I could see Barnett, Fedor or Werdum himself winning it

I cant see Rogers, Arlovski or Sergai making the finals

• Paid Members
Why are you writing off Sergei? He's a hard hitter and Andrei's chin is pretty suspect. I can see him taking it setting up a rematch with Overeem. He is the last guy to beat Overeem in MMA after all...

because Sergei has been so inactive in MMA recently, he's only fought 3 times in the last 3 years. His KO of Mizuno on New Years Eve was pretty awesome though :) I just think Arlovski's movement and hand speed will beat Sergei, who hits hard but is kinda of lumbering. They announced on the K-1 broadcast that Sergei was gonna concentrate on K-1 in 2011 as well, so his inclusion here shocked me.

Oh, reserve fight has been announced too:

Shane Del Rosario vs. Lavar Johnson...hope that gets broadcast because that will be brual.

Don't write off Rogers so soon. Yeah he lost pretty big against Reem but we now know that so does everybody else.. this is still the Rogers that took Fedor to the second round and made it one hell of a fight for the Russian.

Werdum is getting screwed a bit but hey they never said the fight against Fedor was for a shot at Overeem.

I'm really looking forward to this tournament, could be one of the biggest things in MMA history if it goes down well...

• Paid Members

then Rogers went the distance (and some say lost!) to Warpath. Yeh i know you can put that down the underestimating an opponent and coming in horrible shape, but there's no doubt that Rogers is the rank outsider in the tournament.

• Paid Members

Here's my view

Overeem - The big favourite here, has been a wrecking machine recently and as long as he stays injury free he should take this tournament and retain the Strikeforce championship.

Fedor - Look for him to bounce back in style against Bigfoot with an early, brutal KO. A Fedor/Overeem final would be awesome and a great indicator of whether Overeem has surpassed Fedor at this stage.

Barnett - Doesn't he still need to get licensed? That aside I see him winning against Rogers then going out in the Semi, doubt he'll go all the way though.

Werdum - Has a chance against Overeem if it goes to the floor for sure, but I expect Overeem's explosive power to be too much for him to handle. I hope he's enjoyed the attention of being the Fedor slayer, because its likely to come crashing down soon.

Kharitonov - Unlike others I favour Kharitonov against Arlovski, but I dont see him going farther than that. Has lucked out with a very winnable draw in this tournament but wont have as much luck in the semi's if he gets there.

Silva - Is the lucky bugger who gets to fight a pissed off Fedor looking to set the record straight. While a win for Silva would be surprising and a nice coup for Silva he'll suffer from the inevitable 'Fedor's past it' claims if gets the win. Don't see him getting out of the first round though.

Rogers - Always has a punchers chance, but expect Barnett to take him to the ground and pound him out, bad stylistic match up for Rogers and will more than likely see his bad run of form continue.

Arlovski - Offers nothing to me at this stage of the game. He is a proficient technical striker and of course a former UFC heavyweight champion but he just looks heartless these days and suffers from a weak chin. One big shot from Sergei and it's all over.

Johnson & Del Rosario - It's a shame and somewhat typical of Strikeforces matchmaking that two young, promising heavyweights don't get the chance to get a big win against a name fighter and instead have to fight each other first and hope for a withdrawal. I would have preferred to have seen Del Rosario to Rogers (at least Arlovski has a little name value) so hopefully the winner here gets a chance. Hope it makes the live show as could be a great little fight.

• Paid Members

From an interview on mma fighting with Scott Coker -

The Showtime press release included a bracket, which would have the Fedor-Silva winner meeting the Overeem-Werdum winner in the semis. Is that correct, or will the semifinal pairings be decided after the first four matches are over?

That is correct. When we looked at it, we want to put the best fights on and have the most exciting matchup on every event. If Fedor wins, he fights the winner of Werdum vs. Alistair, so we know we're going to get one of those two fights. The sooner we could make that fight the better. Think of it the other way, if Josh Barnett wins two fights, we might get to see Fedor-Barnett. In this tournament, we could see Fedor fighting any one of those 3. There are lots of great possibilities.

No Fedor/Overeem final then!

From an interview on mma fighting with Scott Coker -

The Showtime press release included a bracket, which would have the Fedor-Silva winner meeting the Overeem-Werdum winner in the semis. Is that correct, or will the semifinal pairings be decided after the first four matches are over?

That is correct. When we looked at it, we want to put the best fights on and have the most exciting matchup on every event. If Fedor wins, he fights the winner of Werdum vs. Alistair, so we know we're going to get one of those two fights. The sooner we could make that fight the better. Think of it the other way, if Josh Barnett wins two fights, we might get to see Fedor-Barnett. In this tournament, we could see Fedor fighting any one of those 3. There are lots of great possibilities.

No Fedor/Overeem final then!

Just about to post that

The side of the draw without the big guns is all up in the air, im going to go with Barnett provided he gets licensing and he hasnt got old overnight like fighters have in the past, aside a win in OZ he hasnt fought in a while still ill take a chance with him

The other three are even less convincing, Sergai isnt dedicated, AA is a mental midget with a glass jaw and Rogers apperently looked like crap against Warpath and before that was murdred by Overeem

I see a Overeem vs Barnett final with Overeem coming out on top

There's a Challengers card on tonight if anyone's interested;

Tarec Saffiedine vs. Tyron Woodley

Devin Cole vs. Daniel Cormier

Ron "Abongo" Humphrey vs. Ovince St. Preux

Julia Budd vs. Amanda Nunes

Rhadi Ferguson vs. John Richard

Nothing that really jumps out at me, but the main event will certainly be worth a watch.

• Paid Members

off the point of the tournament, but Jorge Gurgel has signed a new 5 fight deal with Strikeforce :) great news, despite being the stupidest fighter on the planet, Gurgel is one of my favorite fighters to watch.

• Paid Members
There's a Challengers card on tonight if anyone's interested;

Tarec Saffiedine vs. Tyron Woodley

Devin Cole vs. Daniel Cormier

Ron "Abongo" Humphrey vs. Ovince St. Preux

Julia Budd vs. Amanda Nunes

Rhadi Ferguson vs. John Richard

Nothing that really jumps out at me, but the main event will certainly be worth a watch.

yeh man, check my sig :)

im looking forward to all of it other than the women's fight really (which always seems to be the case).

Saffiedine/Woodley is a legit prospect WW fight, Woodley is now established on the main card so he has a lot to lose in this one. Saffiiedine has a massive chance to leapfrog up to the main show, should be a great fight but i expect Woodley to win it.

Daniel Cormier is a bit of a darkhorse in the HW divsion, he's undersized height wise ut he's been on a fucking tear since starting MMA, good hands, not afraid to mix it up and outstanding wrestling. Cormier is gonna be a hard guy to stop. I recently saw some Devin Cole fights in the IFL, dunno how much he's improved since then but i think Cormier smashes him.

Rhadi Ferguson is the cousin of Kimbo Slice too for anyone who didn't know.

If Fedor were to win this tournament, that would be his 3 fight contract up. Then they're hoping he signs a new deal again to defend the title. I'm hoping Overeem smashes him in the Semi's though to be honest.

As for tonights card, i think i'll try and get a hold of this tomorrow if i can. Looks an interesting card, as said previously, especially the Woodley - Tarec and Cormier - Cole match ups

Archived