The Strikeforce Event Discussion Thread

David

• Paid Members
Have never eally cought any Strikeforce, the only fight I've seen it the Fedor/Werdum fight which I saw on Youtube. I don't know what it is, I just seem to think that Strikeforce could be the TNA of MMA

What would be a good starting point for me, and are there any top to bottom quality shows, or are they littered with some good-great fights with a lot of dross

Like Ebb said, the Henderson vs Babalu card from December was excellent, full of exciting fights and cool knockouts.

I'd also highly recommend the Strikeforce: Evolution show from December '09. Mainly for the fucking amazing FOTYC of Gilbert Melendez vs Josh Thomson 2 but also the first Cung Le/Scott Smith fight which was one of the craziest comebacks in MMA history. You also get Jacare and King Mo on the show who are always fun to watch for different reasons.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fedor's manager is demanding drug tests for the semi final (I would assume Olympic style blood tests) not the quarters where he will fight past doper Big Foot or the final and could face 3 time steroid cheat Josh Barnett but just the semi's.

I could see a Mayweather-Pac Man shit happening if Overeem gets through to the semi-finals and this tournament going tits up.

from Bloodyelbow

"The only thing I said and will say, Fedor - is clean. He trains in the mountains, to improve endurance, and from the eight fighters, they have already caught two for doping - Josh Barnett and Antonio Silva. And surely someone else uses it, while they insist that it is all the same, to have equal strength."

"We have never shied away from a particular battle, I just want for his fighter to be professional opponent, "not a chemist." Today doping can significantly add speed and endurance. We just want all parties to the Grand Prix and potential rivals to play by the rules."

"Terms of the tournament are determined, the grid is painted. Although, if Fedor will be in the semi-finals, I plan to insist on a thorough verification of the opponent on drugs. You know, I experienced a lot of problems when there was a struggle with Josh Barnett, and do not want this situation again. I then had a lot of money to lose on advertising and a big problem with television. I want this time for everyone to know and be aware of the facts that they will test it very seriously."

Yet more reason to despise M1 and their money men. The Klitschko's of the MMA world.

Why? It's smart management, and shows that they are actually doing their job.

Overeem is suspected of drug use, and Fedor's team have every right to ask him to pass a test providing their fighter is willing to do so as well.

Yet more reason to despise M1 and their money men. The Klitschko's of the MMA world.

Why? It's smart management, and shows that they are actually doing their job.

Overeem is suspected of drug use, and Fedor's team have every right to ask him to pass a test providing their fighter is willing to do so as well.

It shows that they don't trust any US medical commissions - which, while being a slap in the face to North American MMA & the people who have improved testing 10-fold, is rich coming from Russians.

I highly doubt they asked for testing back in Pride, hell even Fedor was accused of using back in Japan.

163215_493254688228_61345743228_6180677_5490445_n.jpg

The dude beside him looks more shocked than anyone else! :laugh:

It shows that they don't trust any US medical commissions - which, while being a slap in the face to North American MMA & the people who have improved testing 10-fold, is rich coming from Russians.

It's relatively easy to pass the drug testing that normally gets carried out in the US, that's widely known. In fact, it's been said before that you really need to be a grade A chump to get caught.

If you're trying to tell me that Overeem is 100% natural then you must be mental. The guy is on something illegal, that's not even up for debate.

Fedors people are in the right to look after the interests of their man in this instance.

It's relatively easy to pass the drug testing that normally gets carried out in the US, that's widely known. In fact, it's been said before that you really need to be a grade A chump to get caught.

If you're trying to tell me that Overeem is 100% natural then you must be mental. The guy is on something illegal, that's not even up for debate.

Fedors people are in the right to look after the interests of their man in this instance.

Until Overeem fails a test, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Innocent until proven guilty ect.

Herschel Walker was never that beefed up in his past, yet he is supposedly clean as can be - proves genetics can be more effective with different people. Who's to say Overeem doesn't just have good DNA?

Anyway, Fedors people aren't looking for his best interests. This is just another in the long series of events where they are trying to prove they are bigger and more important than anyone including Strikeforce, wouldn't surprise me if it was part of a money tactic.

How come no one else has came out asking for these tests? Werdum is perfectly happy to fight Overeem in the 1/4's with none of this crap, thats good enough for me.

Until Overeem fails a test, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Innocent until proven guilty ect.

That's fair enough, but he actually has to sit a proper test in order to ever fail really, doesn't he?

Anyway, Fedors people aren't looking for his best interests. This is just another in the long series of events where they are trying to prove they are bigger and more important than anyone including Strikeforce, wouldn't surprise me if it was part of a money tactic.

They aren't looking out for his best interests? Of course they are.

If Fedor loses to Overeem his stock will drop even more than it has after his loss to Werdum. If he does lose to Overeem (and I don't think he would personally) it's up to his representatives to ensure that he went into the fight on as even a playing field as is naturally possible.

How come no one else has came out asking for these tests? Werdum is perfectly happy to fight Overeem in the 1/4's with none of this crap, thats good enough for me.

It isn't "crap", it's a worthwhile issue, and Fedor's team are perfectly entitled to raise it.

If Overeem hasn't got anything to hide, then why would he have a problem taking part in this test? I'm sure Fedor will be right there alongside him doing the same thing.

• Paid Members

Nick Diaz apparently went off on one at tonight Strikeforce presser, here's a brief write-up of what went down:

There are few things in MMA more interesting than Nick Diaz dealing with reporters. Diaz, living up to his reputation, showed up ten minutes late to today's Strikeforce conference call, which had been scheduled at 11 a.m. PT. For the better part of thirty minutes, Diaz provided lazy answers to questions about his penchant for organic and vegan food, triathlons, and his upcoming opponent Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos.

That was until the Jason "Mayhem" Miller and Georges St. Pierre were brought up.

It started innocently enough. Diaz explained that he has no problems moving up to take fights at 185 pounds; he just wants significant compensation for doing so. That led Diaz to the topic of Miller, and the proverbial gloves were off.

Diaz reiterated that he had no issues moving up in weight to fight Miller, but would need additional compensation for compromising plans to compete in triathlons later in the year. He added that if Miller wants the fight so bad, he should put in the work to drop to "170 or 175 pounds" or for Strikeforce to pay him "a couple f***ing million dollars."

As if things weren't interesting enough, things then took a strange turn. Diaz, apparently addressing the media, let everyone know, "I'm over here driving a f***ing Honda because my shit's breaking down. F*** all you, mother f******."

Then Diaz turned his attention to Josh Koscheck. Diaz accused the UFC of feeding Koscheck a line of tailor-made opponents, while he received tough fights from the day he first stepped into the Octagon at 20 years of age. Diaz told an anecdote about cornering someone against Koscheck. "We got this guy who doesn't even fight. He drinks in a bar. And we took him to fight Josh Koscheck."

Brian Hemminger of the Toledo MMA Examiner closed the call by pressing Diaz about why he continually calls out fighters like GSP who are outside the Strikeforce fold. A shaky phone connection cut out most of Diaz's rant, but he was heard to say, "People think GSP is better than me. It's bulls***. He just fought Josh Koscheck. I just told you about him."

Diaz continued on this path despite the media community being unable to decipher his ramblings. Finally, conference call host John Beyrooty cut off Diaz saying, "Nick, it's clear you'll fight anyone, anytime. It's a shame you're not in the heavyweight tournament."

Diaz/Mayhem has to happen this year! it has too!!!!

as for the Koscheck situation, first time ive ever known Diaz take a pop at him...who's the guy he's on about cornering?

Archived