Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

New Man of Steel trailer with loads of new action footage

This looks great! This is so new, only 300 views!

YouTube locks views at 301 until it can verify whether they're being attained legitimately or not.

It looks pretty good. I like the idea of

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

the name 'Superman' coming from the 'S' emblem, rather than the emblem being revealed as a Kryptonian symbol after he's already called himself Superman. That always bugged me - it just so happens that your family's insignia looks like an S despite you calling yourself Superman for years? Coincidence much?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

The only thing I don't like is that it's got that weird Zack Snyder look to it that 300 and the godawful Sucker Punch had. Hopefully that's just me drawing on the worst of what Snyder's produced.

Edited by Dingbat

• Paid Members

This looks great! This is so new, only 300 views!

YouTube locks views at 301 until it can verify whether they're being attained legitimately or not.

:blush: oh well, it's still new

Sucker Punch was awful but at least Zack Snyder can do big action set pieces, we'll see how good it is in a couple of months but at least we can expect it to pretty visually spectacular in a way no Superman film has been up to this point.

• Awards Moderator

I haven't been that fussed about Man Of Steel up to now, but I like the look of that latest trailer. I've generally like Zack Snyder's films up to now and this seems to have struck the right kind of tone, judging from that latest trailer.

However, Kim Newman tweeted words to the effect of "remember how much everyone loved the Sucker Punch trailer" today, which is a fair point, probably...

• Paid Members
I haven't been that fussed about Man Of Steel up to now, but I like the look of that latest trailer. I've generally like Zack Snyder's films up to now and this seems to have struck the right kind of tone, judging from that latest trailer.

However, Kim Newman tweeted words to the effect of "remember how much everyone loved the Sucker Punch trailer" today, which is a fair point, probably...

I like the look of the new trailer too, but I

• Paid Members

Superman Returns had the John Williams theme and it was a boring weird tribute to the Christopher Reeve era films, that's the last thing this needs. I'm glad it's being rebooted, I feel like special effects technology is there and comic book based movies are on a roll of being huge and taken seriously to where we'll finally get a Superman movie that can do the godlike character of Superman justice.

• Moderators

• Paid Members

Surely the fact that it's being directed by Zack Snyder is enough proof this new Superman film will be absolutely awful? I think he's proved pretty conclusively that he's a terrible director unless you're a shameless pervert like Astro Hollywood and were tricked into thinking Sucker Punch was great by Emily Browning in thigh-high boots. Which is fair enough.

Films like his will always make for dazzling and tricky trailers. It's not like compiling a trailer for a Michael Haneke film where things never get more action packed than Daniel Auteuil looking wistfully at a crow. It's piss easy to make a Snyder film look exciting and the trailer means absolutely nothing. Not that these things are ever looked at objectively by fans anyway. Snyder really has pissed away all the good faith he built up with Dawn Of The Dead.

• Paid Members

Watchmen was brilliant, everyone loves 300 and despite the film being awful the action set pieces in Sucker Punch looked pretty spectacular. I trust Zack Snyder on this one, especially after seeing the trailer, this has to be on the level of iron man and the Avengers or DC will look like chumps despite making superior comics with better characters for longer, I don't think he'd be allowed to fuck it up, and he has respect for the source material.

As much as I love superhero films I enjoy them as fun nonsense as they're intended, one of the reasons I didn't like the dark knight movies is that they took themselves so seriously it was embarrassing. Man of Steel looks like it's doing everything right from this trailer but as Gladders said, it's easy to make a trailer look good.

• Paid Members

To be fair, both 300 and Watchmen are unfair comparisons to make in this instance as he was trying to directly translate a graphic novel to film with a great deal of loyalty to the originals (one of the things that really let watchmen down, I'd say). This isn't that.

Can't talk about Sucker Punch, never saw it