Championship and Lower League Discussion 2010/11

patiirc

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wilson reeks of the cheap option to me.

It is.

That's the problem with football in Yorkshire - we're all skint. Robins resigned as our manager because we had no money/budget for next season. We then failed to prise Keith Hill from Rochdale, and are now talking to Russell Slade from Leyton Orient.

• Paid Members

That sounds about right. In United's case it seems bizarre that just two years ago they were in the play off final and 90 minutes away from the Premiership, and even last season they only finished a few points off of the play offs.

It's the cheap option and I'm not convinced in the least that it's the right one. But then I don't suppose people were exactly throwing themselves at the vacancy with such a small budget anyway.

• Paid Members

It's not really a cheap option. They weren't getting anyone high profile and stealing someone willing away from another club wouldn't have been expensive.

I'm not convinced it's the right option but when you look around, almost everyone down there is hit and miss. There are few outstanding young managers without a blip on their CV. Carl Robinson, Keith Hill, Paul Buckle or Paul Tisdale perhaps.

You can see why clubs are loathe to take a chance on a guy fro the lower leagues. It really is hit and miss. So many do a good job at one club, move on and fail. Or fail at a club, move on and do well. Look at Paul Trollope. Did a great job at Bristol Rovers, got them up, kept them up and then got the sack with them floundering. You might as well pull a name out of a hat at times!

I think that

adequately shows how I'm still feeling today. For the second time this season we've not shown up for most of a big game and thrown away a great opportunity. We deserved to be losing at half time but I thought that on our second half showing we did enough to at least force extra time if it weren't for some terrible finishing by our players. Hitting the bar was no shock either as that's about the 35th time we've hit the woodwork this season, which I believe keeps us way out in the lead for that stat out of both the Football League and the Premier League.

The Negatives:

- There's a good chance that Buckle's going to Bristol Rovers now that we haven't gone up, which means he may take a couple of our players plus some of our transfer targets with him.

- It was a good chance to go up as Stevenage were decent but we've beaten much better this season.

The Positives:

- If Buckle stays and/or we keep our players and sign some of our current/former loanees we know that we have a side capable of challenging for the playoff positions.

- League Two is actually a much more interesting league for us and overall next season than League One. With Bury and Chesterfield going up and Lincoln and Stockport going down, coupled with AFC Wimbledon and Crawley coming up and Bristol Rovers, Dagenham, Swindon and Plymouth coming down it becomes much more of a southern league. That means less travel and more local(ish) derbies. We haven't played Plymouth in a competitive game for a while and we'll also have Westcountry derbies against Cheltenham, Rovers and Swindon.

• Paid Members

Seconded, well done to our A47 neighbours. Three promotions in four years for Fergie Junior now. Hopefully this time the club leanr from their mistakes from their previous Championship campaign. As for Craig Mackail Smith, as far as I know we're still interested on bringing him aboard this summer, so he could wind up playing at Old Trafford again before he knows it.

I like Lee Clark, he did a fine job as our assistant manager back during the Roeder era. I'd be absolutely gutted if I were connected with Huddersfield after losing a first league game in 28 (?).

Just had a thought, seeing as how the Football League like tot alk up the play off matches and hype up the value o the games why dont they advertise them as being the play off for the league they would be moving up to? So for example, Reading vs Swansea tomorrow could be billed as the Premier League play off instead of the Championship Play Off as you are technically having a play off for the last remaining Premier League place? Im just surprised they seem to have missed this trick.

In fairness though, where can Jones take them now? That's twice he's taken them to within an inch of the Premier League in the past two seasons. He'll probably get a reasonable job somewhere else and Cardiff have to kick start themselves.

• Paid Members
Dave Jones has been future endeavoured by Cardiff.

Bad move, who's going to want to manage a squad with no players.

Paul Buckle :laugh:

Archived