Championship and Lower League Discussion 2010/11

patiirc

• Paid Members
They're not back in the Football League, let's not feed their arrogance. AFC Wimbledon, who play in Norbiton, have won promotion to the Football League for the first time. They may have reclaimed the history but it isn't the same club.

They have every right to be arrogant to be honest, doing what they've done after 9 years since forming is impressive.

Totally agree. Incredible achievement.

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They're not back in the Football League, let's not feed their arrogance. AFC Wimbledon, who play in Norbiton, have won promotion to the Football League for the first time. They may have reclaimed the history but it isn't the same club.

You'll be seeing them soon enough at the Boelyn like :thumbsup: no need to be such a sour puss, but hey your a hammers fan. Well done to Wimbeldon and it is great to see them back

Good lord, who the fuck are you? THIS IS NOT WIMBLEDON. It's quite plain to see it's not Wimbledon. Are you hard of understanding?

They have every right to be arrogant to be honest, doing what they've done after 9 years since forming is impressive.

It is a decent achievement when you say it like that and given they started with nothing. However, they've been one of the top five supported non-league clubs since they started. They had Conference crowds in the Combined Counties League, which is easy to win when you get 300 times the support of your opposition and can sign players from two or three levels above.

And the arrogance thing has nothing to do with success. I've been known to visit my local non-league side Bromley from time-to-time. There's another Bromley fan on the UKFF, though I can't remember who, and I'm sure other clubs from the Isthmian League and Conference South have fans on this form. They will tell you that AFCW have a vocal minority with a massive superiority complex. Turning up at perfectly decent non-league crowds, calling it a dump and calling opposition fans pikeys would wash if they weren't a club supported by a bunch of anoraks who would still have a Football League club if they could have been bothered to turn up in any numbers.

I always say AFC Wimbledon are a club I'm glad exist. The three-man panel was wrong to allow Wimbledon to move to Milton Keynes and the fact the fans went away and formed a new club is absolutely the sort of thing I encourage. However, in practice, the picture hasn't been quite so rosy.

• Paid Members

You'll be seeing them soon enough at the Boelyn like :thumbsup: no need to be such a sour puss, but hey your a hammers fan. Well done to Wimbeldon and it is great to see them back

Good lord, who the fuck are you? THIS IS NOT WIMBLEDON. It's quite plain to see it's not Wimbledon. Are you hard of understanding?

It is a decent achievement when you say it like that and given they started with nothing. However, they've been one of the top five supported non-league clubs since they started. They had Conference crowds in the Combined Counties League, which is easy to win when you get 300 times the support of your opposition and can sign players from two or three levels above.

And the arrogance thing has nothing to do with success. I've been known to visit my local non-league side Bromley from time-to-time. There's another Bromley fan on the UKFF, though I can't remember who, and I'm sure other clubs from the Isthmian League and Conference South have fans on this form. They will tell you that AFCW have a vocal minority with a massive superiority complex. Turning up at perfectly decent non-league crowds, calling it a dump and calling opposition fans pikeys would wash if they weren't a club supported by a bunch of anoraks who would still have a Football League club if they could have been bothered to turn up in any numbers.

I always say AFC Wimbledon are a club I'm glad exist. The three-man panel was wrong to allow Wimbledon to move to Milton Keynes and the fact the fans went away and formed a new club is absolutely the sort of thing I encourage. However, in practice, the picture hasn't been quite so rosy.

No I'm not but I believe it's a recreation of the old club by the old fans, do you think Accrington and Aldershot aren't those clubs either? Oh and sorry for having the audacity to respond to you, obviously because I don't have plus 1k posts my opinion is invalid :thumbsup:

No I'm not but I believe it's a recreation of the old club by the old fans, do you think Accrington and Aldershot aren't those clubs either? Oh and sorry for having the audacity to respond to you, obviously because I don't have plus 1k posts my opinion is invalid :thumbsup:

No, they're not. They are reformed clubs because the original clubs went under. In Accrington's case, they rebadged themselves in exactly the same way.

Shock horror, I also believe that Leyton FC aren't the original Leyton but a reformed club, backed by a fraudster who stole Leyton's history from Leyton Pennant and forced them to change their name.

Oh, while I'm here, that Glenn Murray's done a naughty thing.

• Paid Members

No, they're not. They are reformed clubs because the original clubs went under. In Accrington's case, they rebadged themselves in exactly the same way.

Shock horror, I also believe that Leyton FC aren't the original Leyton but a reformed club, backed by a fraudster who stole Leyton's history from Leyton Pennant and forced them to change their name.

Oh, while I'm here, that Glenn Murray's done a naughty thing.

Fair enough, I just believe that they are a continuation of the previous clubs whether that be in spirit or whatever, obviously I know they literally aren't the same club. Don't see Murray cutting it at Championship level to be honestm but hes worth a risk on a free,

In Aldershot and Wimbledon's case, I can kinda see it. But I was under the impression that Accrington was started up by a local businessman, whereas the latter two were fan-driven.

Murray's going to get roasted and it's going to be hilarious.

• Paid Members

I'm so excited about Monday. Obviously, there is the pride of seeing your team play at Wembley and then there is the sheer awe of what winning would mean: the money, being on MOTD, being able to go to work, seeing those Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea fans (and the one Stoke fan) and knowing I was a fan of a team in the same league, it's all fantastic.

However, i'm becoming more concerned about Reading as the days go. They've got some great players and a good spirit and they really deserve their spot in the final.

How does everyone see the game going? And anyone going to review their clubs season?

And anyone going to review their clubs season?

Bristol City 2010/2011

Ins

Albert Adomah

Khalifa Cisse

Nicky Hunt

David James

Jon Stead

Damion Stewart

Brett Pitman

Jordan Spence (loan)

Steven Caulker (loan)

Andy Keogh (loan)

Martin Woodford

Tom Williams

Sam Vokes (loan)

Danny Rose (loan)

Jimmy Keohane

Patrick Hoban

Steve Coppell

Outs

Steve Coppell

Jamie McCombe

Bradley Orr

Paul Hartley

Tom Williams

John Akinde

Ivan Sproule

Jimmy Keohane

Patrick Hoban

Danny Haynes

Peter Styvar

Gavin Williams

Lee Trundle

Brian Wilson

Steve Collis

Blimey and thats only the transfers. This season was meant to be the new dawn but as from day one it turned out to be the stuff of living nightmare. Steve Coppell was brought into achieve greatness and left after 2 games because it wasnt what he was expecting (among other rumours) brought one of the worst players of all time that we have had in Nicky Hunt and according to most fans left the club in disarray despite only actually being their for about 8 weeks after his end of previous season sabbatical from being announced.

Step up Keith Millen, who didnt want the job when caretaker and is appointed the day after or even the same day that Coppell quit. The season was reallyt rubbish,lots of injuries lots of needless and pointless signings Some worked out especially Adomah, Caulker, Stead and Pitman. the rest were either uber shit or middling. Spend the rest of the season with the fans claiming that Millen hasnt had the chance and is learning despite being at the club in a coaching capacity for over a decade and caretaker twice before and he needs to build his own squad, despite results going down the pan until after Xmas when things started picking up and some were claiming that we should of been up for the playoffs despite some of the worst football ever seen at AG including a 0-4 home dinking by Middlesbrough and some really abject and pathetic displays.

However all is not lost and the end of season picked up ish until the manager and the players went on holiday in their heads after safety was achieved with about 7 games left and it was back to a long run of losses before wins vs Derby and Hull when the season was over.

Through out all that we have had the added distraction of sorting a new stadium a decision for which should be granted some time in June despite it being rumbling on with Village Green protests and sale of our old ground to Tesco then Sainsburies once approved. Failing all that The Chairmen has stepped down, he is still going to be a sugar daddy in terms of investment for the new stadia and players, but is no longer in day to day running of the club so a new board has effectively been installed.

Insane doesnt cover it. With lots of double speak coming from the manager and chairman re everything as well it just makes the whole thing a mess. Im not expectant about next season Maynard's goals which helped us to stay up this season, may not be their next as he only has a year left and afaik has to yet to sign a new deal. The jury is still out on Millen with many saying it is do or die for him next year now he has 'learnt' his trade so to speak.

Personally I think we will do well to stay up next year, seems that the more insane of our fans spurred on by our chairman outgoing and the manager think that promotion is possible and that things are going really well. Im not going to doubt their optimism by many are still chasing the dragon of our playoff defeat 3/4 years ago and despite finishing ever lower since then, seem to think that we are still contenders. Its killed many a club and if we dont wake up we will meander straight into relegation

• Paid Members

Thought you lot like guys who'd done a shit job at Wednesday?

Nice guy, Danny Wilson, absolutely class. He's really hit and miss though. Did fantastic at Swindon last season and then it was a complete mess this season.

If you wrongly appoint a lower league journeyman at Christmas, replacing him with another lower league journeyman in May is bad enough. To replace one who supports Sheffield United with one who played and managed Sheffield Wednesday, is bordering on mentally ill. And he peaked as a manager in about 1996. It's just inexplicable.

At least Bryan Robson was a good player. :(

And anyone going to review their clubs season?

Peterborough in a nutshell:

Johnson in charge : Shit, 3 out of 10

Fergie in charge : A couple of slip ups but overall did very well 8/10 (could go up to 100000000/10 on sunday!)

Player of the season: Grant McCann and CMS

Nervous for sunday : Very much so.

Southampton, sacked Pardew when 23rd in November, asst manager lost 3 games, Adkins came in and we then just beat everyone, last 15 games to win 13 and draw one of them, probably the most dominant I will ever see a Southampton side, excited for next season

Nice guy, Danny Wilson, absolutely class. He's really hit and miss though. Did fantastic at Swindon last season and then it was a complete mess this season.

Reading about Swindon in WSC. They lost 60 goals out of their lineup and lost their main centre back and then the guy who emerged as his replacement. I don't think that's Wilson's fault.

• Paid Members

Reading about Swindon in WSC. They lost 60 goals out of their lineup and lost their main centre back and then the guy who emerged as his replacement. I don't think that's Wilson's fault.

They lost Paynter and Morrison, true and it was a mess long before they lost Austin. A good manager will replace players. Wilson didn't. He was a bit hamstrung but to fall from top 4 to bottom 4 is a massive drop.

Archived